General Question Just started my 5 year old male bully Jiggs on a Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Formula

Joanne A

Jul 13, 2015
Medina, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jiggs
My five year old bully, Sir Jiggs, has developed a progressively worsening skin problem over the last few months. He's been losing his fur in patches and his coat is extremely dry. After a course of antibiotics and cortisone , he improved somewhat but the problem was still there. I just started him on Nature's Variety Instinct chicken kibble, and he already seems to be improving. I read in this forum that this was a highly regarded high protein/no wheat/no gluten dog food, and I was desperate to alleviate this problem. Jiggs is the fourth bulldog we have owned, and every one of them had skin problems to varying degrees (though Jiggs's is the most severe). Has anyone else had success with this dog food?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My five year old bully, Sir Jiggs, has developed a progressively worsening skin problem over the last few months. He's been losing his fur in patches and his coat is extremely dry. After a course of antibiotics and cortisone , he improved somewhat but the problem was still there. I just started him on Nature's Variety Instinct chicken kibble, and he already seems to be improving. I read in this forum that this was a highly regarded high protein/no wheat/no gluten dog food, and I was desperate to alleviate this problem. Jiggs is the fourth bulldog we have owned, and every one of them had skin problems to varying degrees (though Jiggs's is the most severe). Has anyone else had success with this dog food?

Hi Joanne,

Sorry to hear about Jiggs. I have used Nature's Variety but Turkey and we did the limited ingredient one bc of allergies as well. Tyson did well on it. Ultimately we ended back up with Fromms. Its important that whatever you choose be grain free. Also, give the new food time to get into the system. Once he is doing well on the new food you can add in some Omega Fish Oil, which is great for their coat. Or some coconut oil. But wait for these until he's doing well on the food.

Can you possibly post any pictures for us to see. Is his skin turning black in certain areas where the hair is falling out?

OP
J

Joanne A

Jul 13, 2015
Medina, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jiggs
Thanks so much for replying. I posted a reply via email, but I finally figured out how to find this post on the website(!). His pattern of fur loss is widespread, excluding his head and legs. There are areas where his skin is turning black under the fur loss. Otherwise the majority of fur loss appears to be multiple pinpoints areas all over his body. His fur and skin are also extremely dry. I'm treating his yeasty ears daily with Ketoconazole. The skin inside and under his various wrinkles and stop are flaky (he has a massive, extremely wrinkled head). I've eliminated all other food sources (including vitamins, treats) and am exclusively feeding him the Nature's Variety Instinct (Chicken). I'm willing to go the distance to hopefully see improvement in a couple of weeks, or sooner.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks so much for replying. I posted a reply via email, but I finally figured out how to find this post on the website(!). His pattern of fur loss is widespread, excluding his head and legs. There are areas where his skin is turning black under the fur loss. Otherwise the majority of fur loss appears to be multiple pinpoints areas all over his body. His fur and skin are also extremely dry. I'm treating his yeasty ears daily with Ketoconazole. The skin inside and under his various wrinkles and stop are flaky (he has a massive, extremely wrinkled head). I've eliminated all other food sources (including vitamins, treats) and am exclusively feeding him the Nature's Variety Instinct (Chicken). I'm willing to go the distance to hopefully see improvement in a couple of weeks, or sooner.

If the skin underneath is turning black it may be Seasonal Flank Alopecia. Google this and let me know if the images look like what his looks like. If this is the case, Melatonin will help. I am attaching a link to a recent thread regarding this as well: (please read this)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...health/46630-cushings-disease.html#post606085

Read the thread, and look at photos. If it is Seasonal Flank Alopecia, the food won't affect that, it just happens. The good part to it though, is its common, and not dangerous at all. Also tagging Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] as her babies have experience this as well.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hi there, what food was Sir Jiggs on prior to moving to NVI chicken? I ask because my bulldog Lola had massive hair loss when she was 1-2 years old, and despite our moving to another brand, it was actually the chicken protein that was causing the allergic reaction. If your previous food also was chicken, i might choose another protein source but stick with NVI it's a great food. We feed raw frozen NVI duck.

OP
J

Joanne A

Jul 13, 2015
Medina, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jiggs
Jiggs is now on day 8 of his new food and I'm just starting to see new hair growth on the bald areas. We gave him a soothing bath yesterday, which seemed to make him feel better, and I am starting to feel cautious optimism that he's going to improve. He's also lost some weight, which isn't a problem for him, as he weighs around 73 pounds (his father weighs 80 pounds). He's a big boy! Going to keep my fingers crossed that changing his food will do the trick..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jiggs is now on day 8 of his new food and I'm just starting to see new hair growth on the bald areas. We gave him a soothing bath yesterday, which seemed to make him feel better, and I am starting to feel cautious optimism that he's going to improve. He's also lost some weight, which isn't a problem for him, as he weighs around 73 pounds (his father weighs 80 pounds). He's a big boy! Going to keep my fingers crossed that changing his food will do the trick..

Great to hear there is some improvement..... would love to see pics of you boy Jiggs

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online