Our first bully. She's 6. Loose stools. Horrible gas. Shedding and some balding spots.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
You have gotten great advice, so not much I can add there. Just wanted to say that Olive is absolutely adorable and don't hesitate to ask any questions here!

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
I would handle the food transition first and foremost. Once you've successfully transitioned her, try adding in a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt with one meal per day. I can't even stress how much it helped Effie with gas. It was like night and day!! That's another piece of golden advice that I got on here :) I can't believe how much of a difference it has made!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
She looks great... size wise! Orijen is a really good food! I would hold off on the coconut oil for now.... too much change to the belly, wait till you get her food transitioned, then add that in. Burt's Bee is fine, I think someone here does use it... maybe Henny @cali baker :ponder:

Baby wipes -- unscented --- great to clean wrinkles and butt
Lemon juice -- only if she has a lot of phlegm build up -- a squirt to the mouth helps clear/break it up in the throat
Gold Bond -- great for tail pockets

I would hold off on the Coconut Oil for now too, given that she's been having some GI issues. The CO can exacerbate those. Just one step at a time, one change at a time is best, IMO :)

velnias

Apr 26, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba Jay
Hey! Just wanted to drop in and say she's a beautiful girl.

A couple of things I might add to some of the other great feedback;

1. Like most have said, do it slow but first change her diet. I may be in the minority here, but Blue Buffalo is not as wholesome as they claim. You're better off with a good grain free food, just do your research about the ingredients; what order the meats come in, compared to the others. Is it truly grain free? You'd be suprised what gets passed off as grain free that really isn't.

2. Each Bully is different, stomach-wise as well as personality. While chicken doesn't set well with some, our guy loves it. However, lamb is not his friend but lamb can be hard on any dogs belly. We mostly settle for fish though because it provides a lot of essential vitamins and it helps their coat. Just try one and see how it works for her and stick with it if it's working.

3. Pumpkin is good for dogs if they are constipated. However you should not give it to a dog with loose stools. I don't know how this common idea got so misplaced, but I see it suggested in almost every thread I read about loose stools. Pumpkin will only make her stool worse at this point.

4. For the skin stuff, we give our guy two Claritin a day (generic not the actual name brand) and it's done wonders for his hot spots and breakouts. It is also OK to give them Benedryl if they've gotten into something nasty. Our first Bully we got from a surrender in Tennessee. We drove him to Florida in spring and the pollen here nearly killed him. Vet gave him two Benedryl and sent us home. He was 110% better within the hour.

Oatmeal baths are good for their skin too, but with all things, go easy and make sure she's not allergic. Oatmeal is pretty safe though.

The other ideas here are great too...
Unscented wipes for wrinkles and booty
Coconut oil later when things settle down but it's awesome stuff!!

Keep us posted on her progress!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Yes, they might even be caused by chicken based kibble, even turkey might cause same.
Grain free & right protein for them will cause gas to be much better. I think she could use
about 5 lbs, she does look like a smaller bully & sweet face :) Yes, slow changes and one
at a time, giving her system time to adapt. Thank you for pics...sweet girl!

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thank you everyone! Any suggestions on how to gain weight?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! Any suggestions on how to gain weight?

I do not think she really needs to from your pictures.... can you see her ribs? How much and how often is she fed now?

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
I'm feeding her 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup at night. Her vet said she's thin and should gain weight. I can see her spine...idk if that make a difference or not

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm feeding her 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup at night. Her vet said she's thin and should gain weight. I can see her spine...idk if that make a difference or not

Yea it makes sense.....

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
The food also says 40-60 lbs 2 1/4-3 1/4 cups a day. Do you think 3 a day is ok?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The food also says 40-60 lbs 2 1/4-3 1/4 cups a day. Do you think 3 a day is ok?

Yes, it is enough.... if he poo stays soft serve, then cut back a little on each serving as it may just be too much for her system. Remember the food company wants you to feed more.... buy more :D

Members online

No members online now.