Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our first bully. She's 6. Loose stools. Horrible gas. Shedding and some balding spots.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Our first bully. She's 6. Loose stools. Horrible gas. Shedding and some balding spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliviakainu90 View Post
    I can't thank y'all enough! Sorry for the question overload. I'm sure I'll have hundreds more lol
    Ask away --- Like Jessica said --- a member has been there, we have info to help get you through or we will be here for moral support
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes TyTysmom, Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Our first bully. She's 6. Loose stools. Horrible gas. Shedding and some balding spots.

Ok, great

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 88970

Attachment 88971

Here are some more pics. I'm definitely a worry wart I fear the worst and because we are new with this breed and I've read so much I just want to make sure she's super healthy and is getting the best. How do y'all feel about Orijen dog food? That's what I give my cats and I love it and would like to get both dogs on it as well. Also her right eye looks red...is this normal? I am bringing her to my vet on the first even though she was just at her vet in May. Also any recommendations on a good shampoo? Her previous owner said they used hurts bees? Is this ok or should she be using something better? I have so many questions and appreciate all your help! I'm also going to put a Tb of coconut oil in her food, good idea? Also any must haves I need to get for every day needs. I've read so many things like baby wipes, gold bond powder, stridex pads, lemon juice, desitin, coconut oil etc.

Yes, yes, yes & yes. hee hee. Orijen is a great food, just go with anything other than chicken. All your other must haves, you got it! Those are all great and must haves. Add benadryl in there as well. And some destin, and witch hazel.

PS - She looks great! The skin will get better with the quality food, etc.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

5. Likes Oliviakainu90, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)

Thank you thank you!

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

You have gotten great advice, so not much I can add there. Just wanted to say that Olive is absolutely adorable and don't hesitate to ask any questions here!
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

8. Likes Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

I would handle the food transition first and foremost. Once you've successfully transitioned her, try adding in a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt with one meal per day. I can't even stress how much it helped Effie with gas. It was like night and day!! That's another piece of golden advice that I got on here I can't believe how much of a difference it has made!
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

10. Likes Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    She looks great... size wise! Orijen is a really good food! I would hold off on the coconut oil for now.... too much change to the belly, wait till you get her food transitioned, then add that in. Burt's Bee is fine, I think someone here does use it... maybe Henny @cali baker

Baby wipes -- unscented --- great to clean wrinkles and butt
    Lemon juice -- only if she has a lot of phlegm build up -- a squirt to the mouth helps clear/break it up in the throat
    Gold Bond -- great for tail pockets
    I would hold off on the Coconut Oil for now too, given that she's been having some GI issues. The CO can exacerbate those. Just one step at a time, one change at a time is best, IMO

12. Likes Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubba Jay
    Likes (Received)

Hey! Just wanted to drop in and say she's a beautiful girl.

A couple of things I might add to some of the other great feedback;

1. Like most have said, do it slow but first change her diet. I may be in the minority here, but Blue Buffalo is not as wholesome as they claim. You're better off with a good grain free food, just do your research about the ingredients; what order the meats come in, compared to the others. Is it truly grain free? You'd be suprised what gets passed off as grain free that really isn't.

2. Each Bully is different, stomach-wise as well as personality. While chicken doesn't set well with some, our guy loves it. However, lamb is not his friend but lamb can be hard on any dogs belly. We mostly settle for fish though because it provides a lot of essential vitamins and it helps their coat. Just try one and see how it works for her and stick with it if it's working.

3. Pumpkin is good for dogs if they are constipated. However you should not give it to a dog with loose stools. I don't know how this common idea got so misplaced, but I see it suggested in almost every thread I read about loose stools. Pumpkin will only make her stool worse at this point.

4. For the skin stuff, we give our guy two Claritin a day (generic not the actual name brand) and it's done wonders for his hot spots and breakouts. It is also OK to give them Benedryl if they've gotten into something nasty. Our first Bully we got from a surrender in Tennessee. We drove him to Florida in spring and the pollen here nearly killed him. Vet gave him two Benedryl and sent us home. He was 110% better within the hour.

Oatmeal baths are good for their skin too, but with all things, go easy and make sure she's not allergic. Oatmeal is pretty safe though.

The other ideas here are great too...
    Unscented wipes for wrinkles and booty
    Coconut oil later when things settle down but it's awesome stuff!!

Keep us posted on her progress!

14. Likes Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 88972Attachment 88973

Here are her little bald spots too

Yes, they might even be caused by chicken based kibble, even turkey might cause same.
    Grain free & right protein for them will cause gas to be much better. I think she could use
    about 5 lbs, she does look like a smaller bully & sweet face Yes, slow changes and one
    at a time, giving her system time to adapt. Thank you for pics...sweet girl!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

16. Likes Vikinggirl, Oliviakainu90 liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone! Any suggestions on how to gain weight?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone! Any suggestions on how to gain weight?
    I do not think she really needs to from your pictures.... can you see her ribs? How much and how often is she fed now?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)

I'm feeding her 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup at night. Her vet said she's thin and should gain weight. I can see her spine...idk if that make a difference or not

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads