Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi! Anyone ever add a raw turkey neck or raw meaty bone to their kibble? I am considering switching kibble (from FROMM to BROTHERS COMPLETE) and on their website they suggest doing this. I was a little concerned about raw bones, choking, ect...but I have read that bones are fine for dogs to chew and digest as long as they are not cooked...just wanted to hear from some Bully lovers on the matter before I experimented.

photo.JPG

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Just a quick update, Brother's Complete did NOT work out well at all! Bass ended up w/the worst red yeast all over...extreme tear staining, skin discoloration, ear/paw redness. I wanted to take him off right away as the symptoms started about a week or so in...but I finished out the bag because I read to give a new food about a month to take full effect. Needless to say, went back to Fromm (salmon) and his tear stains cleared up a little bit. The GOOD news is, I finally found a butcher shop that packages RAW for dog owners (at a very decent price) so that looks like the direction I will be going in. I am not confident at all preparing the Raw diet...so very new to this. :unsure:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Laurie, it's not as hard as you think. Generally you feed around 2% of your pups weight. So if he weighs 60 lbs, you'd be feeding 1.2lbs of raw

to get a well balanced raw diet- you feed 80% meat, 10% bone 10% organs (just keep the liver down as it's very rich).

So you take the 1.2 lbs of raw, and you make sure that about .96lbs is meat (just weigh it), then divide the rest between bone and organ.

Once you do it once or twice is becomes easy. I'd be doing it myself except for the fact that I just don't have the freezer space (yet) to buy in bulk for two dogs.

For some great info. just check out the Raw feeding forum here. Here's a link with some great info. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...s/12339-recommendations-start-rawfeeding.html

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank you for the advice and link. I'm looking forward to it, just a little apprehensive because kibble always seemed like the safe way to make sure he was getting all he needed. He is on a supplement so I hope to do well. Looking forward to blogging about this one;) my writing has been slacking these days :rolleyes:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
That's great that you have a butcher that will package raw for you. I feed raw and am always scouring the stores for good sales. My ladies don't happen to like un-cooked turkey for some reason.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.