Puppy Food Advice

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I've had Bowser for about week now and have been feeding him alcana puppy food that the breeder provided me with. He is 10 weeks old now and 16 lbs. I want to transition him to Fromm and would like to know if I have to get the Fromm Puppy Gold or if I could just jump into the Fromm Four Star (grain free) right away. The pet foods store owner told me that the Fromm Four Star is an all stages food so it's ok for puppies. It seems that most people here use the Fromm Puppy first up until 6 months.

Also how much should I be feeding him a day? I have been feeding him a half cup 3 times a day but it seems like the majority of people here do 1 cup 3 times a day. I also give him Greek yogurt in the morning and coconut oil at night.

I haven't been giving him any snacks or treats either. I'm wondering if I'm providing enough food for the little guy. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I have a 6 mo old and switched her to an all life stage food at 4 mo. If I understand correctly the puppy formulas have more calcium that they need as growing pups but if fed too long could cause a condition called knuckling over. I think that happens though when they eat it for a real long time though.

As far as how much...I was told not to restrict food when they are really young. I offered a cup of food at each feeding and picked up what she did not eat. I fed 3x daily until she was almost 6 mo. At first my pup would eat what she needed and walk away. Sometimes she'd eat a whole cup and at others only a quarter. But then she became a little pig and would eat every morsel so I cut back to 3/4 cup at each feeding. At 6 mo I have her eating a tad over a cup in the a.m. and another cup in the pm. I also give her 2 home baked treats daily.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can go either way on the Fromms, if it was me I'd switch over to the 4 star now because another cool thing is you can mix and match the flavors up. Whatever you decide to do follow the instructions on the bag and yes I would definitely get some good quality grain free treats. You can also add some fruit and veggies in as treats too.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I have Regina (3.5 months old) on Fromm Four Star, alternating between Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf. She's doing great. I wish I had used it when Ruckus was a pup instead of waiting until he was older.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thank you so much for all your responses. I love this forum! [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] I'm going to use the Fromm Surf and Turf also.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thank you so much for all your responses. I love this forum! [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] I'm going to use the Fromm Surf and Turf also.

It's a good choice. I saw in your post you were concerned about how much food he was getting. For growing bulldog puppies the standard is 1 cup, 3xs daily. If you feel he isn't eating it all or he's getting too cubby, you can try cutting back to 3/4 cup at each meal or maybe two meals of one full cup and lunch is just half a cup. It all depends on your specific pup, but 1.5 cups per day is too little food for a puppy.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I was told by a Bulldog Rescue member that I needed to switch my puppy over to adult dog food around the age of 4 months. She said it is because there is too much protein in puppy food which can cause them to grow to quickly and cause problems with the growth plate. It will also later lead to hip and joint problems. My Tucker is 5 months old today, but I will switch him to adult food when I start to run out of the 15 lb bag I just bought him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can go either way on the Fromms, if it was me I'd switch over to the 4 star now because another cool thing is you can mix and match the flavors up. Whatever you decide to do follow the instructions on the bag and yes I would definitely get some good quality grain free treats. You can also add some fruit and veggies in as treats too.

^^ agree! Fromm four-star is an all stages food too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.