New Puppy and loose stools

KathrynW

Jun 27, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
We just got our new 9 week old puppy yesterday. He has been eating really well, but has really loose stools (gotten looser as the day went on and more this morning). Any tips? Is that probably normal of a big change for him?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kathryn, diarrhea in a puppy can be caused by many things, it could just be his new surroundings, the car ride home all could have made him nervous or anxious and he just needs to settle in his new home. It can be caused by food intolerances, but if he didn't have it at the breeders then it's probably not food related. Did you call and ask the breeder if he or any of the other puppies had diarrhea? It could also be a virus, a parasite like worms, or an illness common to puppies that he may have picked up while at the breeders. When I picked up my two guys from the breeders, we had 4 days to take them to a vet for a health check in order for the guarantee to be valid. They checked them over for any genetic defects, checked their respiratory and heart, listened to their stomachs, checked their ears, eyes and mouth, and also did a stool culture to rule out any viruses or parasites. I would take him to the vet and have him do a puppy exam and also take a stool sample so they can check it for any viruses or parasites. It's probably just his new surroundings, the excitement and also him being away from his litter mates that have caused the diarrhea, but it doesn't hurt to have him checked out, and if it is something he can be treated right away. I hope he's okay and the diarrhea clears up soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hi Kathryn and welcome to the forum! Puppies often have loose stools when they come to their new home. It's stressful to be away from mama and litter mates. It's also common for puppies to have parasites. Your vet will check for that when you take your new guy in for a check up, and you should do that ASAP. When we brought Winnie home she had loose stools with blood. The vet check said she had coccidia, which is a common puppy ailment. It needs to be treated before it gets worse. I think Winnie went through two courses of treatment, some yummy drops that she loved to take.

Depending on what the vet says, you might want to switch her to a high quality, grain free puppy food, once she adjusts to her new home. You would want to do that slowly, over a week or two period of time, mixing the new food with the old in increasing amounts while decreasing the amount of the old food.

If the diarrhea or loose stools continue, you can add a little pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pie filling) to his food. I added a probiotic to Winnie's food and that helped with loose stools. I still give it to her every morning with her food.

We love pictures here, so post some of your baby when you can, [MENTION=14414]KathrynW[/MENTION]!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just got our new 9 week old puppy yesterday. He has been eating really well, but has really loose stools (gotten looser as the day went on and more this morning). Any tips? Is that probably normal of a big change for him?

agree with Monica and Donna.... probably from the change in environment. How is he doing today

OP
K

KathrynW

Jun 27, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Thanks everyone! Seems a bit better today. He's going to vet on Wednesday so will make sure all is good then! Ps trying to do introduction and add photos but doesn't want to work on my iPad.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
You've gotten lots of good advice already! I would just add that it if you changed pup's food over without a slow transition that could be part of the problem as well. Additionally, overfeeding will give them very loose stool. You'll feel better after your vet visit, where they should perform a stool sample and confirm that there are no parasites or viruses. Most likely it's just stress on the puppy due to being in a new environment. Give lots of puppy cuddles! And make sure you aren't overfeeding. Good luck, and congratulations :) I remember how excited and nervous we were when we brought Effie home in March :)

OP
K

KathrynW

Jun 27, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Thanks all! It's gotten a little worse but I haven't changed his food (yet) and he only eats between 1/2-3/4 cup 3 times a day. That's not too much is it? Did order the Fromm Surf and Turf and it arrived today so plan on slowly transitioning that in.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.