Puppy vs. Adult food for 5 month old?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I was just advised by a person with a Bulldog rescue group that I should start feeding my Tucker, who is 5 months old, adult food. I was told that Bulldogs need to grow slowly and that I don't want him to grow too quickly for his growth plates. Is this something I should start doing? Feeding adult food? I've just decided to try converting to Taste of the Wild puppy, so now I'm confused.

Help please.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
there are 2 schools of thought on this. I was told by a reputable breeder in San Diego to feed adult food to puppies as you mentioned to deliberately and purposely slow down the growth process. He said that this will delay the potential strain on his joint causing arthritis and joint issues later in life. He said that puppy food has high fat content which hasten their growth but prematurely causing issues on their joints.

Now, is there any truth to this, I don't know but somehow make sense in theory. Hope other breeders will chime in to put in their 50 cts.

bellaroo

Jun 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Daisy
I am a first time bulldog owner and my pup is 7 months so I am no expert, but my vet had me take her off of puppy food and onto adult food at 5 months also. (This was because she was getting to be a little overweight, but since switching she has leaned out quite a bit).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not sure about 5 months, but I have always switched to adult at 8 mths with all my Bulldogs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We recommend switching to adult food between 7 to 8 months of age. I have never heard of doing it at 5 months, unless you are feeding a food like FROMM 4 star, which is an all stage food.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We switched Winnie at 7 months to adult Orijen from puppy Orijen. We also changed her feeding schedule to twice a day even earlier than that, maybe 5 or 6 months, which I thought was early but my vet said was fine.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I still have lots of puppy food, so I plan to use that up before I make the switch. Yesterday I had two people tell me, He sure hasn't missed any meals." However Tucker is not fat. He is just broad with giant feet.

TammynDiesel

Jul 29, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I just got a EB puppy and is orijen puppy or large breed better for them

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My first bag was Fromm Puppy, my second bag was Fromm Large Breed Puppy. I switched to adult at 6 months.

In theory, everything I've read about over feeding and fast growing breeds makes sense. Since we know Bulldogs have Orthopedic issues, why chance it, ya know? It's one of those things that's so easy to control.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.