Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could he have an allergy to his food???

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Could he have an allergy to his food???

Quote Originally Posted by SBrewer View Post
    That makes sense. I will transition them over to the new food and then I will start on transitioning them over to one cup twice a day. Thanks!
    No problem. Good luck.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop & Ribeye
    Likes (Received)

It's been two days now on 1/2cup Fromm Pork and Peas:3/4cup Purina. So far so good. They are absolutely loving it too! Both go straight to their food bowls and eat until its gone whereas they were just kind of going and eating a little and then finishing it later whenever they felt like it. I'll probably give them 1/2cup again this evening and if they continue not having any trouble I'll probably do 1/2 and 1/2 tomorrow.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hello all. I am new to this site and was wondering if you may have any suggestions or info for me. I have two English Bulldogs Mr. Pork Chop and Mr. Ribeye. They're brothers and were born June 2010. We started off feeding them Science Diet because the vet we got them from had been feeding it to them. We changed them to Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend (Chicken and Rice) when we could no longer find the SD formula we had been feeding them. We've also got a Black Lab, Haley, and all three of them eat it and love it.

Ribeye and Haley very rarely have problems but Pork Chop has had several ear infections, is itchy and has been waking up in the morning with a very "goopy" eye. Sometimes after he has eaten he will throw up clear mucous and some of the food he has just eaten. He's been to the vet multiple times and we are just told he has allergies and he is given drops for ears and drops for eyes but nothing really seems to cure his ailments.

Ribeye sheds ridiculously and Pork Chop sheds a lot. The other day, just for the heck of it, I decided to get online to see if there was anything out there that may help with their shedding and came across a couple of posts that hinted to me that it may be possible that some of Pork Chop's issues may be being caused by an allergy to his food.

- I never even thought about his food because he was fine on it for so long but is it possible that he could have become allergic to it 2-3 years after being put on it?

- If so are there any recommendations of food I could try to test the theory?

- I see a lot about Fromm but is there a specific formula it would be best to try first?

- I also see Salmon Oil recommended to help alleviate part of the shedding issue. Do I add this to their food or give it to them like a medicine? Should I change their food and start giving them Salmon Oil at the same time?

- If recommended to change food and then add the oil later (or vice versa) how long should I wait between these changes?

- Ideally I would like to feed all three of them the same food, however I know this is not always possible but when I change Pork Chop's food I will more than likely change Ribeye and Haley's as well. Can you tell me if the Fromm formula recommended for English Bulldogs is also good for Labs?

- I've also read that the ZoomGroom or a brush like it also helps with shedding. Is this something that will need to be used daily in order to be effective or how often would you recommend using it?

I know this is a lot but any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
    Hi Stephanie, you are describing my guys Bulldozer and Blossom to a tee. When we picked them up from the breeder 3 years ago, they were fed Royal Canin, when I came home and read the food label, I saw that it contained a lot of corn, fillers and grains which I knew were not the greatest for dogs. I switched them to Go Natural and both of them became a mess, hives, goopy eyes, excessive paw licking which is an allergy symptom and a sign that they are itchy, they had excessive shedding, warm red ears (yeast), and loose stools. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, and grains, which many dog foods contain including SD and Purina. Also these two food brands are not the best choices of food. They are rated at a 1 or 2 Star food on the Dog Food Ratings which can be found on the Home Page, or you can search it at the top of the page on the right. I discovered that Blossom was very allergic to chicken, and Dozer was a little sensitive, so we switched them to Fromms Salmon, and again Blossom didn't tolerate the food. We then switched to Fromms Beef Frittata, and they both did really well on this food for two years, Blossom was okay, but Dozer who had always been fine started showing many allergy symptoms, he was shedding excessively, he had goopy eyes, excessive paw licking which caused the fur on his paws to change colour, and he got yeasty ears. I switched them to Fromms Lamb and Lentil grain free and they have been on this for about a year and are doing great. I hope they continue and don't become allergic to this protein as well. Figuring out what they are allergic too is really trial and error and can be a frustrating process. You can try starting them on a bland diet of just plain boiled rice and ground beef until their symptoms subside, then choose a high quality dog food that is rated a 4 Star or better, examples of these are Fromms, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Arcana, or Orijen
    do a slow transition over two weeks when changing foods to avoid tummy upsets and diarrhea. Start with 2/3 of the of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food for a few days, then mix 1/2 of the old food with 1/2 of the new food for a few days, and then mix 2/3 of the new food with 1/3 of the old food, and then finally all new food. It can take up to a month to see any improvements or benefits to a food change, as it can take that long for the old food to leave their systems.
    I would wait until you know they are tolerating their new food well before adding any other treats, or supplements. If you want to give them a reward or want to get them to something offer them a piece of their own kibble as a reward. Once you know that they are good on their food you can start to introduce new treats or supplements. When starting any new treat, supplement or add on always give one at a time, and wait a week to see if they show a reaction, the way you will always know which new thing caused a reaction and can eliminate it. Blossom is allergic to Salmon, so she didn't tolerate the salmon oil, I give our guys Coconut Oil for the Omega Fatty Acids. I also give them 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble, which is a good source of Probiotics which aids in digestion and boosts the immune system which helps with allergies, I also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their evening kibble ( don't mix it with the yogurt as it will cause the yogurt to curdle) there are many benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, and a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal, which kills the bad bacteria in your body so boosts the immune system, it also balances the Ph levels of the blood and AIDS in elimination. I also give them 1 tsp of Kelp from the perform store ,I use the Pet Kelp brand from PetValu. Kelp has all the vitamins and minerals your dog will ever need. I like all all these supplements because they are both natural and inexpensive and can be easily found at the pet food store or at a Natural or Health food store or in the Organic section of the grocery store.

I also use use the Zoom Groom brush and love it, it removes all the loose hair, and is soft and is easy to clean. The hairs don't stay on the brush. The furballs like it too, they enjoy being brushed. I always brush them after their bath which is once every two weeks and then once or twice a week in between. I hope these answers helped you out.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

4. Likes SBrewer, 2BullyMama, Miss Charlotte liked this post
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop & Ribeye
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much Vikinggirl. Yes your babies do sound a lot like mine. I actually found the Food Rating List you mentioned Tuesday evening. I feel so bad because I actually thought we were feeding them something that was good for them. I started transitioning them over to Fromm Pork and Peas Tuesday and so far so good. They love it and don't seem to be having any tummy issues as of yet. I am extremely excited to get them fully transitioned over to the Fromm and to see the positive difference it will make. As also suggested by some of the others I've decided to forego any supplements until we find the food that is right for them. But I will definitely be keeping the Salmon Oil, Coconut Oil, Yogurt and ACV in mind in case it is needed later on down the road.

When my husband picked up the food Tuesday, the lady at the feed store recommended a few different grain-free natural treats and he did buy some of them and we've given them each a couple of them. It does, however, make sense to introduce them to something new once they've acclimated to their new food so as to rule out possible allergies to the food or to the treats should that be the case. I didn't even think about mentioning it in my original post and am embarrassed to admit it now but the biscuits that we had been giving them, they loved and would do anything for them (Ok they were Milkbones...please, please don't ban me yet!?). Anyway the lady at the feed store mentioned that it was highly likely that they were allergic to those as well. So those are gone and have been replaced with some others that she recommended that are, as mentioned above, all natural and grain-free. But sounds like we may want to save those for a bit.

I've only been a member of EBN for 3 days now and am extremely impressed with and grateful for all of the help I've received thus far. You guys seriously Rock!!!

-S

6. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much Vikinggirl. Yes your babies do sound a lot like mine. I actually found the Food Rating List you mentioned Tuesday evening. I feel so bad because I actually thought we were feeding them something that was good for them. I started transitioning them over to Fromm Pork and Peas Tuesday and so far so good. They love it and don't seem to be having any tummy issues as of yet. I am extremely excited to get them fully transitioned over to the Fromm and to see the positive difference it will make. As also suggested by some of the others I've decided to forego any supplements until we find the food that is right for them. But I will definitely be keeping the Salmon Oil, Coconut Oil, Yogurt and ACV in mind in case it is needed later on down the road.

When my husband picked up the food Tuesday, the lady at the feed store recommended a few different grain-free natural treats and he did buy some of them and we've given them each a couple of them. It does, however, make sense to introduce them to something new once they've acclimated to their new food so as to rule out possible allergies to the food or to the treats should that be the case. I didn't even think about mentioning it in my original post and am embarrassed to admit it now but the biscuits that we had been giving them, they loved and would do anything for them (Ok they were Milkbones...please, please don't ban me yet!?). Anyway the lady at the feed store mentioned that it was highly likely that they were allergic to those as well. So those are gone and have been replaced with some others that she recommended that are, as mentioned above, all natural and grain-free. But sounds like we may want to save those for a bit.

I've only been a member of EBN for 3 days now and am extremely impressed with and grateful for all of the help I've received thus far. You guys seriously Rock!!!

-S
    You're welcome, these bullies are so sensitive to foods and changes, but you're on the right track.
    If you want to give a great or reward them during the food transitioning, just give them a piece of their own kibble.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

8. Likes SBrewer liked this post
    Real Name
    Sara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

The poop!! So very true. I switched Charlotte to Fromm about a month ago, she loves the food, eats regularly ( she wasn't a great eater) and the Poop! So much less! I'm amazed( can you tell )....
    One cup, twice per day and two small poops per day like clockwork. Yippppeeeeee

10. Likes Vikinggirl, SBrewer, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads