7 Month Puppy Not Growing

bellaroo

Jun 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Daisy
Bella, my 7 month old pup was switched off of Fromm Puppy Gold to Fromm pork and Applesauce at 5 months old because the vet said she was getting too heavy. For two months now we have been feeding her the fromm all stages food 3/4 cup 3 x a day, but she seems so small now. At 5 months old she weighed 30 lbs and was a little heavy but not too much so. But now at 7 months old, she is only 32 lbs. I have talked to two new vets who both say she is small for her size, but not unhealthy. She is just very short and lean. Also she was spayed at 6 months. I'm just wondering if we are feeding her enough and of the proper food, and if she will keep growing and filling out. She looks much younger than she is.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Showing a photo of Bella would be good,it is difficult to judge anything without a photo. She may need to eat more, or she may just be small. English Bulldogs come in all sizes, and now the smaller ones are being called "mini" and some " breeders" are charging more for them. She is still a baby,and will not be totally finished growing and filling out until at least two years old. There are bullies here from 35 lbs. to 80 lbs. [MENTION=14418]bellaroo[/MENTION]

OP
bellaroo

bellaroo

Jun 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Daisy
20150628_113911.jpg
There she is compared to a volleyball. I'm okay with it if she turns out to be a little small, I just want to make sure we are not doing something wrong with her food to inhibit her growth. This is my first english bulldog and first puppy actually, our American bulldog was already a year old when we got her so this is our first puppy experience, and it's been challenging but we love every minute of it!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Maybe she's just not going to get really big. I think My Winnie weighed about 35 lbs. at 7 months and she weighs 48 now at a year. Winnie was spayed at 7 months. Personally, I like bulldogs a little on the lean side. They have such a tendency to easily gain weight and they are really healthier and breathe easier when they are lean. My last bully, Annie, weighed only 35 lbs. at one year. She was smaller than most bullies, but she was very healthy. It sounds like you are feeding her the right amount of food. At seven months I switched Winnie to adult food and started feeding her twice a day at maybe 6 months. She eats Orijen, a high protein food which you feed less of than regular foods that contain grains. I've been feeding her one cup twice a day. She seems to be holding her weight pretty well on this. She may still fill out some, but I wouldn't mind keeping her a little lean.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
View attachment 88465
There she is compared to a volleyball. I'm okay with it if she turns out to be a little small, I just want to make sure we are not doing something wrong with her food to inhibit her growth. This is my first english bulldog and first puppy actually, our American bulldog was already a year old when we got her so this is our first puppy experience, and it's been challenging but we love every minute of it!

Now that I see a picture of Bella, I think she looks great! Her proportions are perfect. I wouldn't worry about her at all!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@bellaroo Your pup looks good and healthy. You are feeding her a highly recommended food,which many people on this site feed their dogs. I would like her a little bit heavier, but every one else will probably agree that she is perfect. I'm fat-I want everyone to be faT!!!!!:ohmy: She is a very pretty pup! I have a pack of Buffalos!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 88465

OH my goodness --- she is perfect!

Here is a good guide for feedings:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I think she looks fine. My Harlea is a little over 2 years old and only weighs 35lbs. To me she is perfect and is happy and healthy aside from allergies. You have to remember bullies come in all shapes and sizes. Some bigger and some smaller.

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@bellaroo Your pup looks good and healthy. You are feeding her a highly recommended food,which many people on this site feed their dogs. I would like her a little bit heavier, but every one else will probably agree that she is perfect. I'm fat-I want everyone to be faT!!!!!:ohmy: She is a very pretty pup! I have a pack of Buffalos!
I'm laughing at the "I'm fat" comment. As I'm fat too hehe
[MENTION=14418]bellaroo[/MENTION] your baby looks perfect to me. She's a cutie pie

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She still has a lot of growing to do as bulldogs don't reach full maturity until age 3.

I think she looks perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Maybe she's just not going to get really big. I think My Winnie weighed about 35 lbs. at 7 months and she weighs 48 now at a year. Winnie was spayed at 7 months. Personally, I like bulldogs a little on the lean side. They have such a tendency to easily gain weight and they are really healthier and breathe easier when they are lean.

frank was the exact same weight at those times, and we also had him spayed at 7 months! He is now about 46-48 at 1yr1month, I think he looks great at that weight. he is lean and healthy! I do expect him to 'fill out' just a bit these next few years, but I hope not too much. some bullies are just smaller than others :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
frank was the exact same weight at those times, and we also had him spayed at 7 months! He is now about 46-48 at 1yr1month, I think he looks great at that weight. he is lean and healthy! I do expect him to 'fill out' just a bit these next few years, but I hope not too much. some bullies are just smaller than others :)

Frank always reminds me of Winnie too! Something about the way he looks. You know that picture you had done of him Madie? Winnie's ears do exactly the same thing. One flops and the other one is pretty rosie. I love Frank! Winnie is a really active bully. She wiould chase a ball all day if we throw it for her.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.