Suggestions for weight gain?

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Hi I'm looking for any suggestions to add a few pounds on to our boy Floyd. He is almost 9 months old and so super skinny. Our pups have definitely grown differently our Lola who is 7 weeks older is quite short and stocky where he just kept shooting up and getting skinnier which made sense. But now I think he is too skinny. I feel like we can see his ribs and spine. I know they go through gangly stages but I feel like it's lasting too long. He does have dietary issues because he has Hypercuricosuria so we avoid foods that are high in purines. He is on Fromm Pork and Applesauce ( the only one that is close to his needs) he gets 3/4 cups 3 times a day. Any more and he gets soft poop. All his treats are fruits and veggies. I have been considering adding eggs to his dinner as that is a protein with almost no purines. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I will try and take a picture to show what he currently looks like.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW this must be a first… usually it's trying to get the weight off them… Lol I will tag the food guru's but I would agree on the eggs, what about some greek yogurt?!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about a bit of peanut butter as a snack? that is a low purine food. Also, in moderation, some cheese if Floyd is okay with the dairy. And the egg idea is very good, especially the yolks, to give him some extra fat and calories.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
How about a bit of peanut butter as a snack? that is a low purine food. Also, in moderation, some cheese if Floyd is okay with the dairy. And the egg idea is very good, especially the yolks, to give him some extra fat and calories.

Ill give the cheese and eggs a try, my son is deathly allergic to peanuts so peanut butter isn't an option in our house.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My suggestion would be dry powdered goat's milk, sprinkled on the food, that is what I feed my pups as a supplement (but I make it a liquid) and it sure fattens them up. I also top mom's food with it while nursing to keep her calories high.

Would that be purine free? Also cottage cheese, cream cheese....

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have 2 sisters paisley & Nula, Paisley was the biggest in the litter while nula was the smallest

paisley is a barrel while nula is on the slender side, I guess its like humans? Some are a little bigger than others,
some can look at food and put a few pounds on while others can eat all day long and be slender.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I have 2 sisters paisley & Nula, Paisley was the biggest in the litter while nula was the smallest

paisley is a barrel while nula is on the slender side, I guess its like humans? Some are a little bigger than others,
some can look at food and put a few pounds on while others can eat all day long and be slender.

That is so true. Our pups are half siblings, they share the same dad but have different moms. They eat the same amount of food of the same type at the same time and such a difference in their bodies.

Most Reactions