Fromms puppy pink causing diarrhea

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
My puppy has been on fromms puppy in the pink bag for a few weeks now and his stool is very soft and has been. At first the vet said he had a parasite which we knocked out, then he had protozoas which we knocked out with a antibiotic but he has still got soft stool. He has grown a ton and seems happy I'm just worried that his stool is still soft. I've added a lil pumpkin to firm it up which has helped but I'm just wondering when I should consider switching foods

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any chance you are over feeding him? How much does he eat per day and how old is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
He's roughly ten weeks and getting 1/2 cup 3x a day

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He's roughly ten weeks and getting 1/2 cup 3x a day

That sounds about right, but if he's not doing solid bowel movement just try back it up by a little bit, do 1/3 cup for his meals today and see if the stools improve. It's amazing how even a tiny portion of food can cause such bad squirts in a puppy his age!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it may be the chicken, as many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken. I don't think he's eating too much as most puppies eat 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, but it may be the protein?

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Is there chicken in the pink bag of fromms puppy food

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Did you try cutting back and did it help?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is there chicken in the pink bag of fromms puppy food

I use the Fromm Prairie Gold Puppy... it is red meat -- no chicken. But, also need to make sure you are not over feeding as Lisa stated --- how much do you feed with each meal?

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
We've been feeding 1/2 cup 3x a day, will be cutting back to 1 1/3 total a day and see what happens. Have been putting a small amount of pumpkin in to firm him up some

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've been feeding 1/2 cup 3x a day, will be cutting back to 1 1/3 total a day and see what happens. Have been putting a small amount of pumpkin in to firm him up some

Here is a chart to help as a guideline and at 10 wks, I would think he should be OK at 1/2, but try 1/3 and see if it helps

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Ya, I don't think it's necessarily the amount, but could be wrong. I will finish out the bag and see how he does and at that point may switch to a different fromms

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ya, I don't think it's necessarily the amount, but could be wrong. I will finish out the bag and see how he does and at that point may switch to a different fromms

I doubt it's the amount either because a 10 week old should be able to eat half a cup three times a day. However, believe it or not this is the number one cause of diarrhea so cutting back even just a tiny bit could make all the difference in the world. since I've raised my fair share of pups I do know that overfeeding is a huge factor in runny poop and usually half cup three times a day is where they're at but on occasion it might be a 3rd cup a day or two half cups and 1/3 cup just depends on the pup.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I also want to know that you were fighting some bad issues at the beginning so it may take your papa longer to regulate with good bacteria in the gut. Antibiotics and all those medications can also play a huge part in the consistency of stool. Once you get to where the stools are not soft anymore, you can slowly start increasing because eventually you will need to increase as the stool will become too hard like a Tootsie Roll you want a nice log like stool.

bellaroo

Jun 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Daisy
My puppy had soft stools while on Fromm puppy gold (pink bag) too. She was also very gassy and putting on a little extra weight, so at 5 months old the vet had us switch to adult food so we started her on Fromm pork and applesauce. Her stools got firmer, she lost the weight, and she is not gassy anymore.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.