The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I can't seem to find the right food! Vomiting/hives

It's so hard to say. I tagged Rosalie (brutus77) so she can give you her opinion since her bulldog Brutus had the same issues with food.

2. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, everyone above has given great advice and suggestions. I have two EB's with allergy issues, they are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, and sensitive to corn and grains. They both showed many symptoms like itch paws, excessive licking, yeasty ears, goopy eyes, diarrhea, and hives, but they never had vomiting. It really is trial and error to find a food that they tolerate. I switched our guys food 4 times before I found one that worked, and even then they became allergic to beef after 2 years of being on it. They were on Fromms Beef Fritatta for 2 years and then started showing allergy symptoms. Dozer was a mess, he started to shed like crazy, had hives, his eyes were very goopy and red, he had yeasty ears, and he licked his paws excessively to the point that they were always soggy, and they changed colour. I switched them to Fromms Lamb and Lentil and they are doing well on this food, it isn't 100% perfect, they will still lick their paws sometimes, but no hives or other allergy symptoms. I may have to switch them again in the future if they become allergic to this food. It is always best to do a slow transition between food changes to avoid upset an upset tummy or diarrhea. it is best to do it over two weeks, start with 2/3 of the old food with 1/3 of the new food for a few days, then 1/2 of the old food with 1/2 of the new food, for a few days, then 1/3 of the old food with 2/3 of the new food, and then finally all new food. I would also find a good probiotic or add a couple of Tbsp's of plain yogurt to the kibble everyday to help boost his immune system and aid with digestion. Have you considered having him allergy tested to see exactly what he is allergic to? This will give you a list of his allergies and eliminate the guess work of trying to find out his allergies. I hope you find a food he can tolerate, and I understand that the process is frustrating. Please keep us updated.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

This doe sound like Rosalie's boy all over again.... she went Honest Kitchen and he is doing awesome! She is tagged tot he thread and can give some insight when she logs in.

Hope you find the right food soon...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The hives could be a stress reaction on the body, does she get the hives before or after vomiting? If it is before, then I would say she is allergic to a food ingredient or ingredients, if it is after it could be a sweat/stress/hives from vomiting, those should usually go away after she is relaxed....

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Hi I'm so sorry I had a crazy day at work!. OK so this does sound like a classic food allergy. Stay away from regular protiens. I had to have Brutus on prescription food which was soy based. It was hypoallergenic and a hydrolized protien, which was the soy. He did great on it, no vomiting but he did still get cysts between his toes and his coat was terrible. I knew I could do better for him. I put him on The Honest Kitchen. It is a dehydrated raw. I have to give him one that contains a novel protien or he will still vomit. His protien is duck. You can Google novel protiens, they really make a difference when your dog has stomach sensitivities and allergies. I have tried nearly every brand and every protien including fish and no good. THK or the Royal Canin prescription food is the only food he doesn't vomit. I also give him a plain pepcid every night with his dinner. Good luck, and discuss these options with your vet. I never make a change for Brutus without consulting the vet first.
    My smooshy face boy!

7. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads