Pumpkin and yogurt

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
When is too young to add a small amount of pumpkin and Greek yogurt to one feeding a day? Our pup is 8 weeks. Is it too soon?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We did the yogurt at 9 weeks, never had a reason for the pumpkin though.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would give a little yogurt, but not he pumpkin. A little pumpkin every now and then is OK or if their poop is soft, but I wouldn't give everyday. But the plain yogurt is good for them everyday. In fact if your store has goats milk yogurt, that is best, because it's easier for them to digest. If we have pups where the mom doesn't produce enough milk for them, we feed them goats milk.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I use raw fermented goat milk instead of yogurt and started my newest pup on it around 9wks. I make pumpkin dog treats and banana blueberry treats but other than their treats they don't get pumpkin unless they have an upset tummy.

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Got ya, I'll start the Greek yogurt then, I'll keep the pumpkin ready in case of an upset tummy

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've been given great advice already. I agree yogurt is fine to give now, as it is a good source of probiotics, which provides good gut flora, aids in digestion, and boosts the immune system. The pumpkin is good for both diarrhea and constipation, it is good for both so is a good thing to keep on hand, and would be great to make homemade treats with.
I buy the Fruitables Treats and they have various flavours of pumpkin and other fruits. I like these because they are made of fruits and vegetables, and are all natural.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to know your recipe for the pumpkin and blueberries treats!

me too, sounds good

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I would love to know your recipe for the pumpkin and blueberries treats!

Pumpkin dog cookies
1 cup buckwheat flour
1.5 cup coconut flour
2 table spoons milled flax seed
2-3 eggs
1.25 cup water
1 big can pumpkin ( size larger than a regular soup can)
sprinkle some cinnamon in the mix and I also sprinkle them on top of the treats before baking.

Banana blueberry cookies
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1.5 cup coconut flour
3 bananas
1/2 cup blueberries
2-3 eggs
1.25 cup water

Mix, make into cookies and bake at 350 until they are as dry as you want them. I flip them several times and usually bake for an hour then let them sit in the oven to dry out. You can freeze the treats you won't use in a week.

Verenabean24

May 29, 2015
Seattle Washington
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Oh cool thank you! I am not sure about he added stuff about the sugar and flour tho! My guy is Sensitive to all of that:( but thanks so much! I may have to alter a bit and try it out!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh cool thank you! I am not sure about he added stuff about the sugar and flour tho! My guy is Sensitive to all of that:( but thanks so much! I may have to alter a bit and try it out!

No added sugar in either. I guess you may have to watch out for the bananas mostly. I chose wheat/grain free flours to keep with our grain free kibble. I don't know but mine get coconut oil daily and figured why not use coconut four in the treats! There are so many options of different flour that you can use. I adapted the recipes which usually called for regular or rice flour which I was avoiding. I'm sure you can find something that works for your pup. I even tried doing frozen yogurt with banana & blueberry treats and put them in molds but yogurt seems to cause tummy trouble so I've now switched to raw goat milk. I may have to try making the frozen treats again with goat milk or kefir. :rolleyes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pumpkin dog cookies
1 cup buckwheat flour
1.5 cup coconut flour
2 table spoons milled flax seed
2-3 eggs
1.25 cup water
1 big can pumpkin ( size larger than a regular soup can)
sprinkle some cinnamon in the mix and I also sprinkle them on top of the treats before baking.

Banana blueberry cookies
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1.5 cup coconut flour
3 bananas
1/2 cup blueberries
2-3 eggs
1.25 cup water

Mix, make into cookies and bake at 350 until they are as dry as you want them. I flip them several times and usually bake for an hour then let them sit in the oven to dry out. You can freeze the treats you won't use in a week.

thank you for this.... I may need to try this!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I've been giving Barkley a couple spoonfuls of canned pumpkin every night as his bedtime snack for over a year now and it seems to have helped keep him and his stools very "regular"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online