thinking of putting him on raw

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
so its not just a case of buying the pre packed stuff from dog supermarket and giving him that then ??/

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The stuff pets at home is good enough on its own,
bulldog tummys are very sensitive and you should swap foods over 4ish weeks depending on how it is going. if you change to fast most likely your dog will get the poops. So week 1 it's 1/4 new 3/4 old. Week 2 it's 50/50 and so on. Watch the poop at all times as its a strong indication of how there doing. Then watch there coats for allergies, watch eyes ( are they more runny than normal )
Then there's the bulldog that won't get on with chicken. Or gets along with chicken but don't get along with fish etc, then it's poops, Poops and more poops...
tbh its suck it n see how you go, I spent a year to 14 months getting mine on something that worked for them. [MENTION=13421]Paul Stott[/MENTION]

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
thats great ,but still unsure to what amount i should be giving him ,how much do you give your and how much does he/she weigh please so i can judge it roughly?? and my butchers does pet mince would you go for that or pets at home

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I played rugby with a friend who owned 5 butcher shops; he used to make ( pet mince ) it was 90% cooked chicken carcass put thro the mincer over and over.
2 things [MENTION=13421]Paul Stott[/MENTION]

1- I believe everything in that bag at pets at home has more than enough nutrients to sustain a complete diet.
Because it's pretty expensive I would add cooked veg to make it last further BUT I don't used this diet so only doing off what I know and have read.
How much for should feed depends on your bully's weight now. Most bully's weigh between 25-30 kg so work out that with the chart on the side ??
Hope this helps, if you want me to look at the chart I ll Bob in to pets at home tomorrow when am out n about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
arrrh that would be a great help ,he weighed 21.3 last friday,and the mince is only 99p a 400g slab so not that bad really depending on how many ,and thanks again for your advise jimmy and help :D:D

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
any joy jimmy on how much to feed pal ??sorry for mithering

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Paul, there's a really good book called home cooking for your dog by Christine filardi, it tells you how to transition over to cooked or raw food, it helped me get started when I was home cooking, as someone already mentioned to start of you need to transition over so it's what ever your feeding at the moment with a small amount of raw the transition can take 3-4 weeks. I was homecooking due to food allergies, but I've recently found a food that my bullie can have and that's simpsons wet food it's the only food on the uk market that doesn't contain anything that my bullie is allergic to.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
i already have started giving raw im currently giving half n half ,and i must say even though its only been a week what a difference ,the tear stain are calming down ,hes enjoying his food etc etc .just unsure of the amount to give raw so i can get him of the dry food mixed into it at moment thats all ,i will just monitor him really ,glad you found a food for yours

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
so its not just a case of buying the pre packed stuff from dog supermarket and giving him that then ??/

You can do that if that's your preference. I don't do it because I can't afford the $$ to feed 3 dogs on the pre-packed stuff. Right now, with PMR, I can feed 3 dogs for under $5/day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
On the transition:

Raw is different from cooked/kibbles. It is better to transition completely into raw meat without phasing it in. Raw meat is processed differently in a dog's stomach - it digests much much faster. Cooked/kibbles passes through slower. If you mix cooked and raw meat in the same feeding, the raw food is going to get processed slower. Raw contains more bacteria than cooked. If harmful bacteria is left to sit in the gut, it may start to cause bad reaction on the dog. So, when feeding raw, you want that food to go fast through the system and to the digestive acids that will kill off that bacteria. If the dog is healthy, he should be able to handle the slower processing of raw meat and be fine. But, if the dog is already showing problems - allergies, indigestion, etc. - then this would just be another problem the dog has to deal with.

So, when transitioning to raw meat, my recommendation is to fast the dog so that his gut goes completely empty (24 hours for adults, 12-24 hours for puppies), and then completely switch to raw.

If you have to feed a mix of raw meat and cooked, then it is better to feed all raw meat in one feeding, then feed the cooked food 12 hours later.

In addition: How much you feed a puppy will depend on his projected adult weight, not his puppy weight. If the package comes with a recommended daily serving, follow that guideline first. Then you add or subtract after a few days or a week of observation. Dog getting too fat - reduce the amount. Dog getting too skinny - increase the amount. If you're going on your own (not pre-packaged stuff) - start with 3% of the dog's projected adult weight... for example, if your puppy is projected to be 50 lbs as an adult, then you can start feeding him on 1.5 lbs of raw food per day.

Hope this helps.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
it says as a guide to feed 2to 3% of body weight on raw is this right ?? if so if he weighs 25kg how many grams should he have ?? :blush2:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
500g-750g, but if your bully is not very active start with 500g.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
ok thanks alot ,and just raw nothing else ie biscuits ,mixer etc etc

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
ok thanks alot ,and just raw nothing else ie biscuits ,mixer etc etc

For me, it's entirely up to you. i used to not give my boy anything cooked or store bought treats but now i got lazy and i just buy him treats from doggie stores but i make sure to always check the ingredients and where it's made.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.