thinking of putting him on raw

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
as above states coz sick of alergies ,refusal to eat etc etc can anyone offer advise on raw feeding he is 5 mth

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
how much to feed ,is it pet mince ,do you use mixer with it etc etc basically anything you can help with really

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I always recommend buying a book when you start feeding raw. People have so many ways to do it, that it can get really confusing if you rely on the information you get on line. Raw feeding can also be a bit different with every dog, you modify it according to your pets reactions and needs. I have two dogs that don't eat their raw food the same way. I also have no idea what is available to you where you live.
Do you know what your bully is allergic to? Allergies very rarely start at such a young age. What are you feeding him now?

Here's one members recommendations on how to start.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...s/12339-recommendations-start-rawfeeding.html

I know that there is pre-made raw available in the US, but maybe other members can tell you more about them. [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] @nycbullymama @2BullyMama

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
he was on royal canine,but poops was never hard ,changed him to wainwrights and devoloping really bad tear stain and loseing weight as he doesnt eat much ,everybody i see with healthy looking bulldogs near me have theres on raw ,but they seem a little vague in what there feeding

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
and devoloped ear infection aswell ,he weighs 21.2 so just curious how much mince i would be giving him roughly ,at our pets at home they do pre packed frozen mince (chicken) in 400g blocks ,do you add a mixer to it ??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
and devoloped ear infection aswell ,he weighs 21.2 so just curious how much mince i would be giving him roughly ,at our pets at home they do pre packed frozen mince (chicken) in 400g blocks ,do you add a mixer to it ??

I am not familiar with any of the UK raw.... going to tag a few UK members for you and hope they have so advice.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi.
Pets at home do a 70% raw meal just to try. The staff are well educated because most owners are going with what they want grain free cutting out as many allergy types as we can. I can't remember the name but I'm sure there's a wolf on the front. It's expensive but if you mixed in green veg you could make it go further.
There is also raw food which is cheaper.
let me know if you need out else

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
thats it yes it has a wolf on the front ,how much should i be giving if he is 21.3 and do i put a good dog mixer with this [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION]

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
If your wanting to go raw I wouldn't mix. It defeats the porpoise.
If you want the food to stretch a bit further and adding nutrients I would boil up veg and go 1/3 veg v 2/3 raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
so if just using the packs from pets at home which are400g how much should be haveing roughly jimmy

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm in the US.

This is how I started my dogs on raw:
1.) Decide what type of raw feeding plan to follow. The 2 most common is BARF and PMR in addition to commercial pre-made. I did PMR.
2.) Read up on that raw feeding plan and follow the standard guides to start off with.
As I chose PMR, I went with the standard 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organs formula and fed my dogs 3% of their weight - for the puppy, I chose approx. 3% of his expected adult weight. I didn't give the dog any food for 24 hours and then chose one meat source first - chicken without the liver/organs yet - chopped it up into chunks bigger than their throats (like the size of a chicken leg quarter) and just let them chomp on it until it is gone (took a long time at first because they were not used to gnawing on the bone). I added liver/organs on week 3... and also started feeding other meat sources - pork, beef, fish, turkey, rabbit, goat, etc.

That's really all there was to it. Everything else is observation - if the dog gets too fat, I feed less. If the dog gets too skinny, I feed more. If the poop is chalky, I lower the bone, if the poop is too soft, I add bone, if it's too dark, I ease up on the organs, etc. etc. Now, my girl is turning 8 years old and is starting to slow down... I added a multi-vitamin for her and gave her chicken/turkey feet often.

PMR, for me, is the simplest, so that's what I go by. Others don't feel comfortable not feeding veggies for some reason, so they use BARF or something else entirely. I have 3 healthy dogs that eat nothing but whole meat, so I don't feel the need to change... for now.

Hope this helps.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
P.S. The puppy was allergic to chicken when he was still in kibbles (Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Earthborn Holistics). Interestingly, he's not allergic to raw chicken...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.