Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of putting him on raw

Default Re: thinking of putting him on raw

so if just using the packs from pets at home which are400g how much should be haveing roughly jimmy

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I'm in the US.

This is how I started my dogs on raw:
    1.) Decide what type of raw feeding plan to follow. The 2 most common is BARF and PMR in addition to commercial pre-made. I did PMR.
    2.) Read up on that raw feeding plan and follow the standard guides to start off with.
    As I chose PMR, I went with the standard 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organs formula and fed my dogs 3% of their weight - for the puppy, I chose approx. 3% of his expected adult weight. I didn't give the dog any food for 24 hours and then chose one meat source first - chicken without the liver/organs yet - chopped it up into chunks bigger than their throats (like the size of a chicken leg quarter) and just let them chomp on it until it is gone (took a long time at first because they were not used to gnawing on the bone). I added liver/organs on week 3... and also started feeding other meat sources - pork, beef, fish, turkey, rabbit, goat, etc.

That's really all there was to it. Everything else is observation - if the dog gets too fat, I feed less. If the dog gets too skinny, I feed more. If the poop is chalky, I lower the bone, if the poop is too soft, I add bone, if it's too dark, I ease up on the organs, etc. etc. Now, my girl is turning 8 years old and is starting to slow down... I added a multi-vitamin for her and gave her chicken/turkey feet often.

PMR, for me, is the simplest, so that's what I go by. Others don't feel comfortable not feeding veggies for some reason, so they use BARF or something else entirely. I have 3 healthy dogs that eat nothing but whole meat, so I don't feel the need to change... for now.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

P.S. The puppy was allergic to chicken when he was still in kibbles (Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Earthborn Holistics). Interestingly, he's not allergic to raw chicken...

so its not just a case of buying the pre packed stuff from dog supermarket and giving him that then ??/

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

The stuff pets at home is good enough on its own,
    bulldog tummys are very sensitive and you should swap foods over 4ish weeks depending on how it is going. if you change to fast most likely your dog will get the poops. So week 1 it's 1/4 new 3/4 old. Week 2 it's 50/50 and so on. Watch the poop at all times as its a strong indication of how there doing. Then watch there coats for allergies, watch eyes ( are they more runny than normal )
    Then there's the bulldog that won't get on with chicken. Or gets along with chicken but don't get along with fish etc, then it's poops, Poops and more poops...
    tbh its suck it n see how you go, I spent a year to 14 months getting mine on something that worked for them. @Paul Stott

thats great ,but still unsure to what amount i should be giving him ,how much do you give your and how much does he/she weigh please so i can judge it roughly?? and my butchers does pet mince would you go for that or pets at home

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Default thinking of putting him on raw

I played rugby with a friend who owned 5 butcher shops; he used to make ( pet mince ) it was 90% cooked chicken carcass put thro the mincer over and over.
    2 things @Paul Stott

1- I believe everything in that bag at pets at home has more than enough nutrients to sustain a complete diet.
    Because it's pretty expensive I would add cooked veg to make it last further BUT I don't used this diet so only doing off what I know and have read.
    How much for should feed depends on your bully's weight now. Most bully's weigh between 25-30 kg so work out that with the chart on the side ??
    Hope this helps, if you want me to look at the chart I ll Bob in to pets at home tomorrow when am out n about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes TyTysmom liked this post

arrrh that would be a great help ,he weighed 21.3 last friday,and the mince is only 99p a 400g slab so not that bad really depending on how many ,and thanks again for your advise jimmy and help

any joy jimmy on how much to feed pal ??sorry for mithering

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

Paul, there's a really good book called home cooking for your dog by Christine filardi, it tells you how to transition over to cooked or raw food, it helped me get started when I was home cooking, as someone already mentioned to start of you need to transition over so it's what ever your feeding at the moment with a small amount of raw the transition can take 3-4 weeks. I was homecooking due to food allergies, but I've recently found a food that my bullie can have and that's simpsons wet food it's the only food on the uk market that doesn't contain anything that my bullie is allergic to.

i already have started giving raw im currently giving half n half ,and i must say even though its only been a week what a difference ,the tear stain are calming down ,hes enjoying his food etc etc .just unsure of the amount to give raw so i can get him of the dry food mixed into it at moment thats all ,i will just monitor him really ,glad you found a food for yours

13. Likes BulldogMoma liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stott View Post
    so its not just a case of buying the pre packed stuff from dog supermarket and giving him that then ??/
    You can do that if that's your preference. I don't do it because I can't afford the $$ to feed 3 dogs on the pre-packed stuff. Right now, with PMR, I can feed 3 dogs for under $5/day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads