How much to feed a 4 month old?

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi, i'm feeding my 4 month old pup Royal Canin Bulldog Junior as advised with Royal Canin tinned meat on top. He has 3 meals a day as follows;

BREAKFAST: 3 hand full of Royal Canin and 1 boiled egg
DINNER: 3 hand full of Royal Canin with 1 tin of Royal Canin meat
TEA: 3 hand full of Royal Canin with 1 tin of Royal Canin meat

I read the bag as 3 meals a day but been told he should be having 4 meals a day. I don't want to over feed and cause health problems but don't want to under feed either, could someone please advise me.

Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you are feeding your guy the right amounts of food per day, it is recommended to feed a puppy 3 meals a day, I'm not sure how much 3 handfuls are equivilant to, but a cup of kibble 3 times a day is what most feed their pups. I fed my guys 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day until they were 7 months old, and then switched them to an adult food and reduced their feelings to 1 cup twice a day feedings. I would recommend checking the Dogfood Ratings on the home page, as Royal Canin is not considered a great food. My breeder was also feeding my guys Royal Canin when I brought them home, and I knew it wasn't the greatest food due to it having corn and lots of fillers on the ingredient list. We switched to Fromm's and are currently feeding them Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. If you feed a high quality food, you don't need to feed as much, and it is not necessary to feed wet food as puppy food provides all the calories and nutrients they need.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Thanks for getting back to me with this info, it helps alot. Ok great so im not under feeding, thats good to know. Ive looked at the Simpson and that sounds better food so might try that, im from England and cant find that Fromm's. Thanks again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for getting back to me with this info, it helps alot. Ok great so im not under feeding, thats good to know. Ive looked at the Simpson and that sounds better food so might try that, im from England and cant find that Fromm's. Thanks again

Being in England.... look at James Well Beloved and Wainswright

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok thanks, just looked at the James Welbeloved so going to pick some of that up later. Am I right in thinking you have to mix it with what he's eating at the moment?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok thanks, just looked at the James Welbeloved so going to pick some of that up later. Am I right in thinking you have to mix it with what he's eating at the moment?

Yes, slow transition over 10 days

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Back again, weve stopped the meat as well as the biscuits because his poo's started getting loose and got told its because were mixing meat with biscuits. He's have the same as before but without meat and he's eating it within 30 seconds, should I give him more after or is there anything else I can do? Thanks

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Back again, weve stopped the meat as well as the biscuits because his poo's started getting loose and got told its because were mixing meat with biscuits. He's have the same as before but without meat and he's eating it within 30 seconds, should I give him more after or is there anything else I can do? Thanks

Are you measuring the food or still doing 'handful?

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Are you measuring the food or still doing 'handful?

Hand fulls. On the bag of food it says 3 cups then a diagram of a bowl divided into 3 and says a third of a bowl 3 times a day so ive read that as 3 cups of food for the day and not per meal. Ive just measured a cup and its close on 2 hand fulls so 1 cup 3 times a day would be less than what he's already having. Have I read it wrong and should it be 3 cups 3 times a day? Thanks for the quick reply

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hand fulls. On the bag of food it says 3 cups then a diagram of a bowl divided into 3 and says a third of a bowl 3 times a day so ive read that as 3 cups of food for the day and not per meal. Ive just measured a cup and its close on 2 hand fulls so 1 cup 3 times a day would be less than what he's already having. Have I read it wrong and should it be 3 cups 3 times a day? Thanks for the quick reply

OK -- you want to measure each meal and give him 1 cup 3x a day. Doing the handful was too much for his system, which is causing the soft poo. They will always want more, heck, my pup would eat the whole bag if I let him. Do that for a few days and see how he does

This chart can help:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
OK -- you want to measure each meal and give him 1 cup 3x a day. Doing the handful was too much for his system, which is causing the soft poo. They will always want more, heck, my pup would eat the whole bag if I let him. Do that for a few days and see how he does

This chart can help:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Ok great thanks alot. Ill try that

frankng

Apr 14, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
tank
quick question, I'm feeding my 4 month old puppy with fromm gold and it recommends 1 1/3 - 2 3/4 cup daily. That is 3/4 cup per meal (3 times a day). Should I still follow the suggested portion or should I just feed him 1 cup, 3 times a day

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
quick question, I'm feeding my 4 month old puppy with fromm gold and it recommends 1 1/3 - 2 3/4 cup daily. That is 3/4 cup per meal (3 times a day). Should I still follow the suggested portion or should I just feed him 1 cup, 3 times a day

Go with the chart.. I posted above and keep watch on weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online