Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I give up!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mickey Wicket
    Likes (Received)

Default I give up!

I've tried a multitude of brands for Mickey.
    He refused about 60% of them and threw up the other 40%.
    Hes had skin allergies, fur loss, vomiting, refusal of food, lethargy and swollen gums/tongue.

Ive tried grain free, with grain, gluten free, egg free, hormone free, raw, small bites, wet food.
    I mean, if they make it. Ive tried it.
    Even cheap brands like wal-marts "Pure Balance."

That actually seemed to be working for a bit but now were on day 2 of refusal of the brand.

I was looking into FROMM products for him but Im unsure of which "Flavor" to get for him.

Ive read bullies are disagreeable with red meat, fish, potato, grain, chicken ( heard this one a lot )

What would be my best bet with purchasing a FROMM or different food brand.
    I feel like Im out of options.

HALP!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I give up!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysMummy View Post
    I've tried a multitude of brands for Mickey.
    He refused about 60% of them and threw up the other 40%.
    Hes had skin allergies, fur loss, vomiting, refusal of food, lethargy and swollen gums/tongue.

Ive tried grain free, with grain, gluten free, egg free, hormone free, raw, small bites, wet food.
    I mean, if they make it. Ive tried it.
    Even cheap brands like wal-marts "Pure Balance."

That actually seemed to be working for a bit but now were on day 2 of refusal of the brand.

I was looking into FROMM products for him but Im unsure of which "Flavor" to get for him.

Ive read bullies are disagreeable with red meat, fish, potato, grain, chicken ( heard this one a lot )

What would be my best bet with purchasing a FROMM or different food brand.
    I feel like Im out of options.

HALP!
    Okay first things first - Lethargy & swollen gums is not something you want to ignore - these two are big indicators that something can be wrong health wise. I believe you should get him to a vet ASAP to be checked out.

In regards to his food - if you are making these changes quickly, this could also be a problem. You have to transition the food over time, and allow at least a month or so for the new food to settle in. Food wise, if you have done this already, and tried all others - I would look into RAW.

But again, not to scare you or anything - I believe those two signs regarding his gums & lethargy call for vet right away. Does he tend to eat things? Could he have eaten anything foreign? A toy, a ball, etc? I'm piecing things together here off a few of your posts now. Is he pooping normally? The vomiting, refusal of food, gums inflamed all lead me to think he may be obstructed with something? I would ask for xrays, and full checkup, fever, blood, etc.

Again, not to scare you - just really want whats best for Mickey here. Please let us know....

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Is Mickey generally a picky eater?

Also, just want to be sure you are switching foods doing a slow transition, not just doing a straight up switch, as this can cause tremendous tummy upset.

On topic, I have great success with Beef Fritatta or the Lamb and Lentil flavors.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mickey Wicket
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    Is Mickey generally a picky eater?

Also, just want to be sure you are switching foods doing a slow transition, not just doing a straight up switch, as this can cause tremendous tummy upset.

On topic, I have great success with Beef Fritatta or the Lamb and Lentil flavors.

I was considering the wild game or the beef. I do it slowly. I contacted his old owners about his eating etc and she told me they fed him the green NUTRO small bites. (which ive tried to serve him and hes refused )
    Any way, hes a really healthy boy. More so now than he ever was as hes been fully vetted and tended to over everything.
    The vet knows about the feeding issues and tells me to keep trying different brands until hes comfortable with something.
    So i was tempted to buy the Beef FROMM. I think thatll be my next purchase.

Mickey is like a puzzle that Im trying to solve.
    Thanks for your inputs

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mickey Wicket
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Okay first things first - Lethargy & swollen gums is not something you want to ignore - these two are big indicators that something can be wrong health wise. I believe you should get him to a vet ASAP to be checked out.

In regards to his food - if you are making these changes quickly, this could also be a problem. You have to transition the food over time, and allow at least a month or so for the new food to settle in. Food wise, if you have done this already, and tried all others - I would look into RAW.

But again, not to scare you or anything - I believe those two signs regarding his gums & lethargy call for vet right away. Does he tend to eat things? Could he have eaten anything foreign? A toy, a ball, etc? I'm piecing things together here off a few of your posts now. Is he pooping normally? The vomiting, refusal of food, gums inflamed all lead me to think he may be obstructed with something? I would ask for xrays, and full checkup, fever, blood, etc.

Again, not to scare you - just really want whats best for Mickey here. Please let us know....

Yes, Ive just received and responded to your PM.
    Hes not a chewer, he only likes his toys and i watch him while he rips them to shreds. I pick up the pieces and give him a new toy when one is finished. Hes never gotten into the childrens play room or up in thei bedrooms. I'm very careful to pick up and vacuum the house.

Its just come to mind that HE DOES become a bit of a land shark around the dining tables, (adult and childrens)
    Maybe he refuses because he gets food from the childrens dining area.
    Well be having a talk with the wee ones about feeding the puppy

7. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama, dolphin liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How long have you had him?

A lot of times when a dog's re-homed, it takes a bit for them to get adjusted and start eating. I had to hand feed Blue for a looong time when we first got him. Wellie wasn't interested in food either at first.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mickey Wicket
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    How long have you had him?

A lot of times when a dog's re-homed, it takes a bit for them to get adjusted and start eating. I had to hand feed Blue for a looong time when we first got him. Wellie wasn't interested in food either at first.

Going on 3 months now.

Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

It was trial and error for me with Brett. Breeder had him on Costco brand dog food. He did well with it but I wanted more high quality so I tried TOTW. He seems to be licking his paws so much on that and vomited so I got Fromm Beef Fritata and so far so good. And got Logan and put him on that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am assuming that the vet has checked inside his mouth-no bad teeth,or gum infection? Just a thought. @MickeysMummy
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysMummy View Post
    Going on 3 months now.

Usa, sometimes it takes them awhile to really settle in even tho it can
    seem like they already have. The only way to know this is to see the
    difference when they do, finally, trust they are HOME.

I've had two rehomed bullies, both around 5 yrs old when I got them.
    Both were sweethearts and seemingly settled right in, as time went on,
    there were little things...time went on and as they truly understood and
    trusted me, it was an awesome & surprising thing to me.

You'll see

Give Mickey some loving from me & Cami.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

14. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried giving him a "topper" like canned green beans, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese? That can help make the food more appealing.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

My girls get picky sometimes; Ruby will take spells where she decides she is not going to eat. I always resource to eggs; lots of folks don't give their dogs raw eggs but my girls get raw eggs daily. I put their kibbles in a bowl and each gets an egg and I mix it all up. Ruby becomes a vacumm instantly so I just give each of them an egg every morning and that solved the picky egger syndrome in my house. Both my girls have a beautiful coat and shed very little except for the once a year full bore coat shedding. Don't misunderstand, just because I say they don't shed much doesn't mean I don't own stock in lint rollers because we still buy them in a gross supply. Good luck.
    Last edited by dalmatina38; 05-20-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads