Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I give up!

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member RazrRila99's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colossus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I give up!

Just bear with Mickey. Colossus went through the same thing when we relocated from Kansas City to Phoenix. It took him at least three months and me slowing down and spending more time with him to get him settled. Now five months in, we're doing better. I started Colossus on The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated food that you add water) and Colossus LOVES that stuff. Patience, put him at ease (he will feed off your anxiety too), and just spend time with him. Hopefully that helps. Good luck, please keep us posted.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Okay first things first - Lethargy & swollen gums is not something you want to ignore - these two are big indicators that something can be wrong health wise. I believe you should get him to a vet ASAP to be checked out.

In regards to his food - if you are making these changes quickly, this could also be a problem. You have to transition the food over time, and allow at least a month or so for the new food to settle in. Food wise, if you have done this already, and tried all others - I would look into RAW.

But again, not to scare you or anything - I believe those two signs regarding his gums & lethargy call for vet right away. Does he tend to eat things? Could he have eaten anything foreign? A toy, a ball, etc? I'm piecing things together here off a few of your posts now. Is he pooping normally? The vomiting, refusal of food, gums inflamed all lead me to think he may be obstructed with something? I would ask for xrays, and full checkup, fever, blood, etc.

Again, not to scare you - just really want whats best for Mickey here. Please let us know....

hi, I agree with the great advice you received from TyTysMom, but if the vet has already seen him, and you have done the slow transitions when changing food, and he hasn't swallowed anything, it could be he's allergic, sensitive or intolerant of some of the ingredients or the protein sources of the kibble you have tried. Many bullies are allergic to chicken and salmon, and are also sensitive to grains. My guys are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains, we switched their food 4 times before we found one that they tolerated. We are currently feeding them Fromm's Lamb and Lentil grain free and are having good results on this food. It does take up to a month before you will see any benefits or results from a new food change, as it can take this long for the old food to leave their system.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

3. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    Have you tried giving him a "topper" like canned green beans, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese? That can help make the food more appealing.
    Mabel has always been a picky eater. We used to give toppers until we started using Life's Abundance omega three pure fish oil supplement on Mabel's food. Now, that's all we use. She's eating like a champ!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads