Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

aka "desertskybulldogs" Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

So when we got Mandy she was a bit neglected. Her nails and quicks were very long. But the worst part was that she was about 10+ pounds overweight, and she did not carry it well. All the fat surrounded her rib cage.

At the recommendation of my vet, she said to reduce her kibble to only a half cup twice a day, and to add a half cup of green beans to fill her up.

Green beans have little to no calories, are full of vitamins and fiber, and no sugar. (carrots have sugar, which leads to calories and fat).

So I went with her advice and 3 months later Mandy is now the perfect size.

Another great way is to do the Vegas Stew, where Libra926 had much success with Vegas losing 10+ lbs as well.

I did this for her once as well, and she loved it.

Both of these diets are vet recommended, but you should always consult your vet when you are thinking of a change in diet.

Now that Mandy is at the right weight, she is back up to 3/4 c. twice a day, and I give her plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day.

Remember, excess fat on your bully is no good for them. Makes it harder for them to breathe, and puts extra weight and pressure on their joints.

RIP Banks

"My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am."
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

YAY Mandy!!! Where are the pictures of Miss Fit Mandy?????????

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

Quote Originally Posted by TessaAndSamson View Post
    YAY Mandy!!! Where are the pictures of Miss Fit Mandy?????????
    I know I gotta get out my camera. I don't really have any good before pics to show her fatness, but I will dig. I have been soooo bad about taking pictures lately..... not just the dogs but the kids too! My January picture folder is almost empty!!! Shame on me!!! I will make it a project this week to take some pictures of the family!

RIP Banks

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS

YEA Miss Mandy!! I am so proud of Vegas's weight, I work hard on keeping him a lean, mean, loving machine at 61 lbs.! Our vet is very happy with his weight as well. He warns me all the time about watching his food, snacks etc...as well as keeping him out of the heat, I have to laugh, little does he know I BELONG to this site and KNOW everything!! , well have learned alot!!

I know they have all kinds of problems with excess weight, and although I have seen some beautiful "full figured" bully's I know it is bad for them. Breathing, joint problems all that goes along with even a human that is overweight. I know for myself if I put on a few extra pounds I find in harder to breath, (probably because my jeans are cutting me in half not only am I to cheap to buy new ones it gives me incentive to LOOSE those extra lbs. that snuck up on me) but I feel miserable, It is so easy for the weight to sneak up on you and so much work to loose even 2 lbs. Therefore, I know with every "little" bite I sneak Vegas to make him happy in the end he will be miserable and not able to breathe... jeans or not!!
    Last edited by KMARINO; 02-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

We never thought Vegas R was overweight until he lost the weight. He was having problems with one of his back legs and one of the vets suggested a possible ACL tear. He has not favored his leg since he lost the weight. He is on 1/2 cup of kibble twice daily and about 1 and 1/2 cups of stew. There are days when he doesn't get stew..those are the days he gets 1 cup of kibble twice daily. Vegas started out about 68 to 70 pounds...two weeks ago he weighed in at 57.2 pounds. He gets the low calorie Charlie Bear treats for his tricks and outside potty rewards. Orion is getting a little chubby. I'm thinking she is probably around 38 to 40 pounds. She is so tiny....she could probably stand to lose a few.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida

After my husband tried to feed these guys to death a few weeks ago, I've reduced their food from 1 1/4 cup in the am to one cup, and at night they get 3/4 cup instead of a cup. They don't look like a couple of over-stuffed sausages anymore. I'll have to get them up to Petsmart and weigh them again. See if they've lost anything.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman

Thanks for sharing this, I'm still trying to shave a few more pounds off Linus - who is not a lover of veggies - but maybe mixed into food, he'd like it and stay full.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

@jillh10 I kept them frozen, that is how my gang likes them. I get the great big bag at costco for around $5 and man they were good!

RIP Banks

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella Cow

First off...congrats on Mandy's weight loss. I am in the process of trying to get Bella's weight down too. For the green beans, do they have to be fresh or are the bagged frozen ones fine? I can't imagine it would be that much of a difference. I hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question but I just feel so uncertain and paranoid when it comes to my bulldog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson

We sound like a big ol' weight watchers meeting!

When our vet put a stop to Hudson's weight gain (at 55 lbs), we were kinda surprised, but the change to a better adult food increased his energy, and he dropped 5 lbs like it was nothing. Now he looks so lean and healthy. And all the "meat" on him now is muscle. He's sooooo handsome! Oh wait, am I biased? Couldn't be...

Congrats Mandy on getting down to a healthy size! Those joints are gonna be happy!!!

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Cows Mama View Post
    First off...congrats on Mandy's weight loss. I am in the process of trying to get Bella's weight down too. For the green beans, do they have to be fresh or are the bagged frozen ones fine? I can't imagine it would be that much of a difference. I hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question but I just feel so uncertain and paranoid when it comes to my bulldog.
    I buy the nice big bag at costco. They are almost like fresh green beans, and it is only about $5 for a huge bag. Maybe it was $8 but I am going to get more tomorrow. I also keep them frozen, they love them this way- I also give as treats too.

RIP Banks

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Here is some new pics of Mandy!

RIP Banks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast