Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yes,,, I can definitely tell the difference...... she look younger in the after pix... ;)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Mandy is so beautiful!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Way to go Mandy!!! :up: You can really tell on those before photos that it is sat all around her torso! She looks SO much happier in the more recent photos too!! Well done [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Congrats on your success!!! :up:

I just took Winston to see the Vet yesterday and I was told he needed to loose 8-10 pounds :eek:

I can not believe he chunked up so fast and to make matters worse he ALWAYS seems hungry!!!!! I will try your recommendations and work hard on getting that weight off. While we were there I saw this lady leaving with her English Bulldog and it scared me. He was absolutely enormous. He could barely look down to see his own feet and he was waddling and rasping hard for breath. I was about to cry for him. The Vet said that is a common issue he sees in his Bully patients, I definitely do not want Winston to end up like that poor bully.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
The pictures I posted of Phatty were from late last summer and he was chunking up then. We brought him to the vet around in the fall and were told he had a few extra pounds on him. So, we've cut his food back and he's lost some for sure. Plus, he turned 1 last month, so it seems he's losing some of that "round" puppy look and getting a little more muscular and lean.

I need to post some updated pics.. I have a ton on my phone but my phone does not have internet - I really need to update!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I need to post some updated pics.. I have a ton on my phone but my phone does not have internet - I really need to update!

I don't know if you know this, but you can send a text to your e-mail too. And then save to your comp and then upload onto here :D.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You should try to make it run every day and in this way you can tide it to your bike and run your bike
slowly. This would be a better way to cut of it's fats.

That is a good idea if you have one of the rare more able bullies who can run. Most can only take shorter walks as it is. I wouldnt recommend running any bulldog that wasnt already used to it first. My boy can run and play fetch for a bit but even then gets over tired pretty easily with heavy breathing. You are lucky to have one of the more active, sportier bullies. ;)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You should try to make it run every day and in this way you can tide it to your bike and run your bike
slowly. This would be a better way to cut of it's fats.
Yeah I don't think that's a good suggestion at all. Sorry. I agree that the best way to cut into fat is to moderate and watch the food that they are eating. If you're feeding crappy food then you get crappy results. If I were to tie my bulldog to the back of my bike, halfway down the street I would be dragging him. Bulldogs are non-sporting dogs.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
So when we got Mandy she was a bit neglected. Her nails and quicks were very long. But the worst part was that she was about 10+ pounds overweight, and she did not carry it well. All the fat surrounded her rib cage.

At the recommendation of my vet, she said to reduce her kibble to only a half cup twice a day, and to add a half cup of green beans to fill her up.

Green beans have little to no calories, are full of vitamins and fiber, and no sugar. (carrots have sugar, which leads to calories and fat).

So I went with her advice and 3 months later Mandy is now the perfect size. :bravo:

Another great way is to do the Vegas Stew, where Libra926 had much success with Vegas losing 10+ lbs as well.

I did this for her once as well, and she loved it.

Both of these diets are vet recommended, but you should always consult your vet when you are thinking of a change in diet.

Now that Mandy is at the right weight, she is back up to 3/4 c. twice a day, and I give her plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day. :up:

Remember, excess fat on your bully is no good for them. Makes it harder for them to breathe, and puts extra weight and pressure on their joints.

Yep! Maximus is overweight! He weights 67.3lbs, and the VET wants him down to 60-lbs or below. He won't even consider neutering him until he loses weight.
But talk to me about the "Green Bean" thing.....What kinda green beans? fresh? canned? frozen?

I've tried green beans on Maximus ----- he wasn't interested! 1-cup of dry food a day? Oh my! Well, Maximus wouldn't be happy with that at all !
He's good for at least 2-cups per day.

So I actually don't know how I will get him to lose weight........:(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Frozen! And if you replace the 1/2 cup kibble with 1/2 cup frozen green beans..he will still feel full! Do it for Maximus! Might help with going up and down the steps too!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] if he didnt like green beans have you tried other veggies maybe? If you do the vegas stew I bet he would gobble it up, my boys loved it more than the fromm and that says a LOT. BUT the problem I had was the HUGE slobbery mess it made when they ate it. lol. Frozen green beans work for me cuz they are cheap and easy and are always on hand. Peas would be another idea. I switch up my boys veggies between those and even frozen broccoli and cauliflower. If your boy likes ice then the frozen may work?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I have the same problem I tried the green beans with sarah and my bostons gobble them up but she spits them on the floor wont eat them. grrr im trying to get you healthy. With sarah i cut her food back slowly. She was eating 2 cups a day and gaining weight so I cut her back to 1 and 3/4 cup then to 1 and 2/3 cup where she is now. I have trouble getting her to eat anything good for her. not lettuce no blueberries nothing for her. grrr. maybe some brocolli next. lol Congrats on getting that much weight off your bully that is no easy feat. looks lean and mean now.

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
She looks good, pretty dog!.... I like to take Taser walking...he's getting better with it. We just do a couple to 3 short walks a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.