Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So when we got Mandy she was a bit neglected. Her nails and quicks were very long. But the worst part was that she was about 10+ pounds overweight, and she did not carry it well. All the fat surrounded her rib cage.

At the recommendation of my vet, she said to reduce her kibble to only a half cup twice a day, and to add a half cup of green beans to fill her up.

Green beans have little to no calories, are full of vitamins and fiber, and no sugar. (carrots have sugar, which leads to calories and fat).

So I went with her advice and 3 months later Mandy is now the perfect size. :bravo:

Another great way is to do the Vegas Stew, where Libra926 had much success with Vegas losing 10+ lbs as well.

I did this for her once as well, and she loved it.

Both of these diets are vet recommended, but you should always consult your vet when you are thinking of a change in diet.

Now that Mandy is at the right weight, she is back up to 3/4 c. twice a day, and I give her plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day. :up:

Remember, excess fat on your bully is no good for them. Makes it harder for them to breathe, and puts extra weight and pressure on their joints.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
YAY Mandy!!! Where are the pictures of Miss Fit Mandy?????????

I know I gotta get out my camera. I don't really have any good before pics to show her fatness, but I will dig. I have been soooo bad about taking pictures lately..... not just the dogs but the kids too! My January picture folder is almost empty!!! Shame on me!!! :nono: I will make it a project this week to take some pictures of the family!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
YEA Miss Mandy!! :up: I am so proud of Vegas's weight, I work hard on keeping him a lean, mean, loving machine at 61 lbs.! Our vet is very happy with his weight as well. He warns me all the time about watching his food, snacks etc...as well as keeping him out of the heat, I have to laugh, little does he know I BELONG to this site and KNOW everything!! :p, well have learned alot!!

I know they have all kinds of problems with excess weight, and although I have seen some beautiful "full figured" bully's I know it is bad for them. Breathing, joint problems all that goes along with even a human that is overweight. I know for myself if I put on a few extra pounds I find in harder to breath, (probably because my jeans are cutting me in half not only am I to cheap to buy new ones it gives me incentive to LOOSE those extra lbs. that snuck up on me) but I feel miserable, It is so easy for the weight to sneak up on you and so much work to loose even 2 lbs. Therefore, I know with every "little" bite I sneak Vegas to make him happy in the end he will be miserable and not able to breathe... jeans or not!!

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We never thought Vegas R was overweight until he lost the weight. He was having problems with one of his back legs and one of the vets suggested a possible ACL tear. He has not favored his leg since he lost the weight. He is on 1/2 cup of kibble twice daily and about 1 and 1/2 cups of stew. There are days when he doesn't get stew..those are the days he gets 1 cup of kibble twice daily. Vegas started out about 68 to 70 pounds...two weeks ago he weighed in at 57.2 pounds. He gets the low calorie Charlie Bear treats for his tricks and outside potty rewards. Orion is getting a little chubby. I'm thinking she is probably around 38 to 40 pounds. She is so tiny....she could probably stand to lose a few.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
After my husband tried to feed these guys to death a few weeks ago, I've reduced their food from 1 1/4 cup in the am to one cup, and at night they get 3/4 cup instead of a cup. They don't look like a couple of over-stuffed sausages anymore. I'll have to get them up to Petsmart and weigh them again. See if they've lost anything.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for sharing this, I'm still trying to shave a few more pounds off Linus - who is not a lover of veggies - but maybe mixed into food, he'd like it and stay full.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] I kept them frozen, that is how my gang likes them. I get the great big bag at costco for around $5 and man they were good!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
First off...congrats on Mandy's weight loss. I am in the process of trying to get Bella's weight down too. For the green beans, do they have to be fresh or are the bagged frozen ones fine? I can't imagine it would be that much of a difference. I hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question but I just feel so uncertain and paranoid when it comes to my bulldog.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We sound like a big ol' weight watchers meeting!

When our vet put a stop to Hudson's weight gain (at 55 lbs), we were kinda surprised, but the change to a better adult food increased his energy, and he dropped 5 lbs like it was nothing. Now he looks so lean and healthy. And all the "meat" on him now is muscle. He's sooooo handsome! Oh wait, am I biased? Couldn't be...:whistle:

Congrats Mandy on getting down to a healthy size! Those joints are gonna be happy!!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
First off...congrats on Mandy's weight loss. I am in the process of trying to get Bella's weight down too. For the green beans, do they have to be fresh or are the bagged frozen ones fine? I can't imagine it would be that much of a difference. I hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question but I just feel so uncertain and paranoid when it comes to my bulldog.

I buy the nice big bag at costco. They are almost like fresh green beans, and it is only about $5 for a huge bag. Maybe it was $8 but I am going to get more tomorrow. I also keep them frozen, they love them this way- I also give as treats too.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is some new pics of Mandy!

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is some before shots, not sure if you can tell but she was fat around her rib cage- that is where all of her fat was.

IMG_2601-1.jpg

IMG_2919-2.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
What a difference, I don't think she looks fat in her fat pictures until you see the thinner ones. She is a beautiful girl!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.