Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    So when we got Mandy she was a bit neglected. Her nails and quicks were very long. But the worst part was that she was about 10+ pounds overweight, and she did not carry it well. All the fat surrounded her rib cage.

At the recommendation of my vet, she said to reduce her kibble to only a half cup twice a day, and to add a half cup of green beans to fill her up.

Green beans have little to no calories, are full of vitamins and fiber, and no sugar. (carrots have sugar, which leads to calories and fat).

So I went with her advice and 3 months later Mandy is now the perfect size.

Another great way is to do the Vegas Stew, where Libra926 had much success with Vegas losing 10+ lbs as well.

I did this for her once as well, and she loved it.

Both of these diets are vet recommended, but you should always consult your vet when you are thinking of a change in diet.

Now that Mandy is at the right weight, she is back up to 3/4 c. twice a day, and I give her plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day.

Remember, excess fat on your bully is no good for them. Makes it harder for them to breathe, and puts extra weight and pressure on their joints.
    Yep! Maximus is overweight! He weights 67.3lbs, and the VET wants him down to 60-lbs or below. He won't even consider neutering him until he loses weight.
    But talk to me about the "Green Bean" thing.....What kinda green beans? fresh? canned? frozen?

I've tried green beans on Maximus ----- he wasn't interested! 1-cup of dry food a day? Oh my! Well, Maximus wouldn't be happy with that at all !
    He's good for at least 2-cups per day.

So I actually don't know how I will get him to lose weight........

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is your bulldog overweight? How I got mine to lose 10 lbs in 3 months....

Frozen! And if you replace the 1/2 cup kibble with 1/2 cup frozen green beans..he will still feel full! Do it for Maximus! Might help with going up and down the steps too!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

@Maximus if he didnt like green beans have you tried other veggies maybe? If you do the vegas stew I bet he would gobble it up, my boys loved it more than the fromm and that says a LOT. BUT the problem I had was the HUGE slobbery mess it made when they ate it. lol. Frozen green beans work for me cuz they are cheap and easy and are always on hand. Peas would be another idea. I switch up my boys veggies between those and even frozen broccoli and cauliflower. If your boy likes ice then the frozen may work?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

I have the same problem I tried the green beans with sarah and my bostons gobble them up but she spits them on the floor wont eat them. grrr im trying to get you healthy. With sarah i cut her food back slowly. She was eating 2 cups a day and gaining weight so I cut her back to 1 and 3/4 cup then to 1 and 2/3 cup where she is now. I have trouble getting her to eat anything good for her. not lettuce no blueberries nothing for her. grrr. maybe some brocolli next. lol Congrats on getting that much weight off your bully that is no easy feat. looks lean and mean now.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Taser
    Likes (Received)

She looks good, pretty dog!.... I like to take Taser walking...he's getting better with it. We just do a couple to 3 short walks a day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads