Help me put some weight on my English Bulldog!

pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
So my poor bully suffered a sliding hernia while he was a developing as a puppy last Fall. At the time he would regurgitateseveral times a day at random this led to stunted growth in my opinion. It wasvery unfortunate and rare medical issue luckily it was caught andcorrected.Surgery was resounding successbut Iā€™ve been trying to put some weight on him but Iā€™m having little to no luckā€œbeefingā€ him up. According to my veryreputable breeder he should be around 55 lb to 60 lb if his parents and littermates are good indication. My boy Chubs is about 1.5 years old and about 47 lb,So for the last few months Iā€™ve been feeding nearly 3 times a day with 1 cup ofdry Canidae life stages with combinationof wet food and heā€™s not filling out. He also gets plenty of treats throughoutthe day but his weight hasnā€™t changed.Heā€™salso a finicky eater which is surprising considering heā€™s a Bulldog! He willeat just fine but never seems very enthusiastic about it! So whatcan I do to get him to eat more or add to his diet to bulk him up?

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Wow we hardly ever hear this! I'm glad your baby is alright, maybe some wet food for a topping on his dry food will help. A picture will help members see if your bully is thin. Actually the weight sounds really healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
It sounds like his weight is right on track. If you say his growth was stunted, then I would assume his frame is smaller meaning his weight will be less than his litter mates. My bulldog is 42 lbs. If you can't see his ribs then he is in good shape. Have you seen a vet? Also do you have any pictures? Also refer to the chart below I found online

dog-weight-chart.png

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He should start filling out after her is two years old and maybe even around three years of age.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So my poor bully suffered a sliding hernia while he was a developing as a puppy last Fall. At the time he would regurgitateseveral times a day at random this led to stunted growth in my opinion. It wasvery unfortunate and rare medical issue luckily it was caught andcorrected.Surgery was resounding successbut Iā€™ve been trying to put some weight on him but Iā€™m having little to no luckā€œbeefingā€ him up. According to my veryreputable breeder he should be around 55 lb to 60 lb if his parents and littermates are good indication. My boy Chubs is about 1.5 years old and about 47 lb,So for the last few months Iā€™ve been feeding nearly 3 times a day with 1 cup ofdry Canidae life stages with combinationof wet food and heā€™s not filling out. He also gets plenty of treats throughoutthe day but his weight hasnā€™t changed.Heā€™salso a finicky eater which is surprising considering heā€™s a Bulldog! He willeat just fine but never seems very enthusiastic about it! So whatcan I do to get him to eat more or add to his diet to bulk him up?

Hi, you have been given excellent advice from members, and I agree with their comments. Every bully is different in height and weight and build. I have 2 EBs who are 3 years old and litter mates and they are very different from each other. My male Bulldozer is long and lean and is not as stocky as his sister, he weighs 45 lbs. my female Blossom also weighs 45 lbs, but she is much stockier than her brother and has a wider chest than he does. 47 lbs sounds like a good weight for a bully, and 3 cups of food per day is plenty of food, most bullies eat 1 cup twice a day after the age of 6 or 7 months. It is actually healthier and better for your dog to be more on the lean side rather than on the heavier side, especially EBs because they can develop joint and hip problems, arthritis, breathing problems and heart disease when they are over weight. When they are a leaner weight, it is easier on their joints and they breath better. I would ask your vet the next time you see him, and ask what he thinks about his weight. My guys don't look overweight to me at 45 lbs, but my vet has said she would like to see them more around 40 lbs.

Here is pictures of Dozer and Blossom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 902
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 523

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post a picture from above... so we can him ... similar to the chart that April post?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.