YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Hey all!

So last time I was about an active, Taco had hurt his paw a little bit, and I wanted to take the time to make the switch in his dog food. Well, I never did, until I pulled the trigger on some Fromms Pork and Peas. I got a 30lb bag, and slowly transitioned over a week with the end bag of his Natures Recipe Easy Digest Salmon and Sweet Potato. His stools were fine, but he was shedding like CRAZY and developing some itchy spots on his paws.

I finished up the last of his old food this evening, and I'm monitoring how he does. It was about 7 days of transfer, I started with the 75% and 25% mix, and slowly worked from there. Tomorrow will be his first day on all fromms P&P.

My question is (yes, there is one) his stools are now a little loose, like soft serve with some occasional logs in there, and they have changed from darker brown to a much lighter color (like a light brown.) His stomach was obviously upset the 2nd day, but he's his regular self. I know that the food switch can take a while to see effects, so I want to ride out the bag, and probably order another one before it's out. We are still getting the occasional gas, but we got that with the old food...

I'm fairly sure the answer is keep on keeping on, but just wanted to hear some opinions!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try to decrease his food by just a little and see if the poops firm up some. With FROMM, you may not need to feed as much.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Try to decrease his food by just a little and see if the poops firm up some. With FROMM, you may not need to feed as much.

That's what I figured. We are feeding the recommended amount based on the bag for his size. He actually has been limiting himself, he didn't finish breakfast, which is odd. Moderation is not his strong suit, so I always think maybe something is wrong.

That being said, we had a pretty decent stool this morning, I hope it keeps getting better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

^^^^ agreed!

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor

I hope so too, good to see you again.

^^^^ agreed!

Hey all, and thanks! I decreased and it worked. He gets 2 cups a day now, and if you feed him any more, he doesn't touch it. When we first got him, he was wasting away, it's crazy to see how far we have gotten him

a46cb3c020cab7d9b5b9f792e82102a2.jpg

bbada8a367c970432a4963ad22fb008b.jpg

He's had great BMs for the past few days, and not as much gunk on his face in the mornings. Gas has decreased, and he is still shedding a lot, but I can see his coat getting shiny(ier)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey all, and thanks! I decreased and it worked. He gets 2 cups a day now, and if you feed him any more, he doesn't touch it. When we first got him, he was wasting away, it's crazy to see how far we have gotten him

bbada8a367c970432a4963ad22fb008b.jpg

He's had great BMs for the past few days, and not as much gunk on his face in the mornings. Gas has decreased, and he is still shedding a lot, but I can see his coat getting shiny(ier)

What a difference..... great news and great job!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What a great looking bully Taco has grown into!! Dang!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Awesome, I'm glad that did the trick, and he looks great!!! The major shedding should stop soon, as they blow their coats this time of the year.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
What a difference..... great news and great job!

What a great looking bully Taco has grown into!! Dang!

Awesome, I'm glad that did the trick, and he looks great!!! The major shedding should stop soon, as they blow their coats this time of the year.

Thanks all!

Every time I see the old photos of him, it makes me want to feed him! He is doing this thing at night since the new food, he breaths really fast and heavy, but he always seems fine. Maybe it's always been like that and we haven't noticed?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks all!

Every time I see the old photos of him, it makes me want to feed him! He is doing this thing at night since the new food, he breaths really fast and heavy, but he always seems fine. Maybe it's always been like that and we haven't noticed?

Is he hot? We ended up having to buy a fan & place it literally 4 ft from where Tyson sleeps bc he would wake up breathing heavily, and after the fan he slept like a baby through the night. Actually cant sleep without now.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all!

any drool or drinking of water during that time?

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
any drool or drinking of water during that time?

Nope, just huffing. He's got water always available, and he's not a big drooled, unless he's in the water, or food is being prepared.

I think he was just hot. I dropped our ac by a few degrees and he got better (we were at 72, went to 70.)

What's funny is he can always get off the bed and hit the bathroom tiles, but he's a creature of habit, who snores and droops over our feet at night.

0cdd0fa5331e701763ef3b9ad3f6f6b1.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Banks was like that... Would lay and pant --- ceiling fan helped her at night too

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Banks was like that... Would lay and pant --- ceiling fan helped her at night too

We have a box fan at the end of the bed. Once he stopped being scared of it he loved it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.