Forest Coffman

Apr 27, 2015
Hello fellow Bullies. My dear Hercules is an 11 year old grandpa bully. He has had cushings disease for the past 4 years and has gone through all the allergies known to man. For the past three years I have had everything under control with a a cocktail of meds and drops. However, the past month he would not eat and when he did decide to eat he would vomit every time. In his old age Hercules has become very picky with food, however always hungry due to the cushings-go figure! I have been feeding him Blue Buffalo salmon grain free for the past 5 years and it has worked marvelous up to this point. The vet put Hercules on nausea medication and some liquid to line his stomach. He has been on chicken and rice (homemade) for the past three weeks. I tried mixing in a little kibble but Hercules smelled and wouldn't touch it even with the chicken and rice in it. When he did eat a little kibble he vomited. So its been a week without any kibble and only chicken rice and Hercules is doing much better with no vomiting and eating his food. The Vet wants me to check in with her tomorrow and start the transition to a sensitive stomach dog food. She recommended ID Dog Food but I know there are many more out there. I have found Blue Buffalo 'Limited Ingredient Turkey" and Wellness Simple natural grain free limited ingredients. My dear Hercules is getting old and has beat many ailments, so if you can help me out with some suggestions for dog food for sensitive stomachs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all!
Forest

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3:

glad you found us and I will tag a few members that can give some suggestions --- one product to look into is The Honest Kitchen, we had two members with great success using it for their babies.

In the meantime, be great if we can see a picture of your bully boy

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], I am one of the members that has switched over to The Honest Kitchen. My Brutus has an extremely sensitive stomach. I have tried just about every kind of food including the blue limited turkey. Brutus vomited them all. Brutus was put on Royal Canin prescription hydrolyzed, hypoallergenic food by his vet.it dropped the vomiting and allergy issues but his coat was terrible and he still got inter digital cysts between his toes and ear infections. THK a dehydrated raw food that has nothing in it but duck which is a novel protein that the vet recommend for sensitive stomachs, fruits and veggies. Maybe you should discuss this with your vet as an option. I would not start anything new without the vets consent due to your boys age and other health issues. Good luck, and God bless you for having 11 wonderful years with your baby. May we all be so blessed.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My girl eats the prescription food and she does fabulous on it. She doesn't do well with all the other foods and her last one was raw boost and her system cant handle even that. The prescription kind I always have to fall back on is the low residue kind. I know I want her on a better quality food but this seems to be the only one that helps her in areas of concern. Maybe once your dog tries it, they will begin hopefully to be able to keep it down. It really has been a god send for me or actually my girl. I ordered the kibble for her since she is doing great on it and have had no issues like we have always had on any other dog food. The only issue i have found with this food is she does get a very small amount of yeast in her nose rope which is cleaned out daily . I do not have any issues outside of that one. She has been on it for awhile now. I hope things turn around for you and your baby.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby Hercules… My beloved boxer Roxie was diagnosed w/cushings this past Oct, and she was also vomiting her kibble. I actually ended up transitioning her to raw food Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Patty in Beef/Chicken. She did very well on the patties, of course the biggest downside was the cost. I wish you luck w/your baby, and please keep us posted on how he's doing!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello fellow Bullies. My dear Hercules is an 11 year old grandpa bully. He has had cushings disease for the past 4 years and has gone through all the allergies known to man. For the past three years I have had everything under control with a a cocktail of meds and drops. However, the past month he would not eat and when he did decide to eat he would vomit every time. In his old age Hercules has become very picky with food, however always hungry due to the cushings-go figure! I have been feeding him Blue Buffalo salmon grain free for the past 5 years and it has worked marvelous up to this point. The vet put Hercules on nausea medication and some liquid to line his stomach. He has been on chicken and rice (homemade) for the past three weeks. I tried mixing in a little kibble but Hercules smelled and wouldn't touch it even with the chicken and rice in it. When he did eat a little kibble he vomited. So its been a week without any kibble and only chicken rice and Hercules is doing much better with no vomiting and eating his food. The Vet wants me to check in with her tomorrow and start the transition to a sensitive stomach dog food. She recommended ID Dog Food but I know there are many more out there. I have found Blue Buffalo 'Limited Ingredient Turkey" and Wellness Simple natural grain free limited ingredients. My dear Hercules is getting old and has beat many ailments, so if you can help me out with some suggestions for dog food for sensitive stomachs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all!
Forest

Awe, I have a senior bully too, he's 9yrs old. Much respect for you on your 11 yr old. We had to recently switch Tyson over to raw - not because he wouldn't eat, but because he was having bad allergies to multiple things, and he started having stomach issues, with reflux, getting diarrhea, etc. He had to undergo surgery to remove a sock and that pretty much messed him up. He didn't do well on kibble after that. Now, I know that raw is not cheap, we do commercial raw patties, by Stella & Chewy - Natures Variety also makes them. I just don't have the time to do it all myself. If this is doable for your budget, I would definitely try the raw.

Also, I know he's on meds, but I would get him on a good probiotic. I'll post a picture here of the one we give Tyson. This and the raw have done wonders for him. The probiotic helped firm up his stool, he stopped eating grass, and had significantly less acid reflux. I really really hope that you find something that works for him. We'd love to see some pictures of your baby. Can you please keep us posted on him, and how he's doing.
Microflora.jpg

OP
Forest Coffman

Forest Coffman

Apr 27, 2015
Hello, thank you so much for all your advice. Sorry to respond so late but our family has had a lot on our plate as of late. To make a long story short Hercules ended up being diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His neck has become so big with fluid that it is weighing down his lip. I feel the rainbow is coming soon for my dear old friend. The vet and I both agree he doesn't have to much time left given his age. We will try the meds
for a couple of weeks to see if they can bring down the edema and then decide what we should do. He does a lot of sleeping and little eating at this point, this has to be the hardest decision I will have to make in my life. I just want him to be comfortable and be at peace. We have been blessed with over 11 years which is amazing for a bulldog. i ask for prayers for our family as Hercules is deeply loved by us all. Thank you guys.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hello, thank you so much for all your advice. Sorry to respond so late but our family has had a lot on our plate as of late. To make a long story short Hercules ended up being diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His neck has become so big with fluid that it is weighing down his lip. I feel the rainbow is coming soon for my dear old friend. The vet and I both agree he doesn't have to much time left given his age. We will try the mess for a couple of weeks to see if they can bring down the edema and then decide what we should do. He does a lot of sleeping and little eating at this point, this has to be the hardest decision I will have to make in my life. I just want him to be comfortable and be at peace. We have been blessed with over 11 years which is amazing for a bulldog. i ask for prayers for our family as Hercules is deeply loved by us all. Thank you guys.

I have no words except to say how sorry I am to hear this. Much love and prayers to Hercules and prayers for strength to you. :hug:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Our prayers, love, and thoughts are with you & your family. Sweet Hercules had indeed lived a long life for a bully. We love you sweet boy. (hugs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shannona333

Mar 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Whitman
I am feeding my puppy Honest Kitchen and have found them to be very helpful. He loves the food, goes nuts for it. I had home cooked for my previous bulldog, Eddie, but I may stick with this for Whit. It seems like very good stuff, and now they are going non-GMO.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Our prayers, love, and thoughts are with you & your family. Sweet Hercules had indeed lived a long life for a bully. We love you sweet boy. (hugs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love and prayers for you sweet boy. I know how hard it is,but we never want them to suffer if there is no other way......:pray::heart::heart::heart::heart:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My prayers are with you. In my opinion at this point give him the food he likes to eat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello, thank you so much for all your advice. Sorry to respond so late but our family has had a lot on our plate as of late. To make a long story short Hercules ended up being diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His neck has become so big with fluid that it is weighing down his lip. I feel the rainbow is coming soon for my dear old friend. The vet and I both agree he doesn't have to much time left given his age. We will try the meds
for a couple of weeks to see if they can bring down the edema and then decide what we should do. He does a lot of sleeping and little eating at this point, this has to be the hardest decision I will have to make in my life. I just want him to be comfortable and be at peace. We have been blessed with over 11 years which is amazing for a bulldog. i ask for prayers for our family as Hercules is deeply loved by us all. Thank you guys.

sending prayers and positive thoughts to you all.... (((hugs)))

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Best wishes to Hercules and his family.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.