Help Needed! Switching to A new dog food/ PLEASE HELP

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
So i stated in another forum that I got my bulldog at 7 weeks, he has been on Eukanuba large breed puppy food and IAMS puppy buscuits for a treat for two weeks because this is what my breeder suggested. I have read the ingredient and no longer want to feed him these products. I have also noticed his mouth/eyes and chin have become red where he is white and the top of his head. It comes and goes but always remains a little pink. I see tons of pictures of bulldogs with same thing so is this normal or is he allergic to these foods? Bottom line i need guidance on what is the best food for my baby Elliot and how i go about switching him because im driving myself crazy.

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
I would switch to FROMM's puppy in the pink bag. When switching do it slowly over a week or so omitting a little bit of old food and adding new food or you will have some bad diarrhea problems. I dont give my guys any doggy biscuits just jerky treats, i would find something more natural and grain free. While adding and changing things I would also add a teaspoon of plain Greek yogurt to one meal everyday, this will help the stains on his eyes/mouth/chin immensely! I also give my babies a NuVet Plus vitamin everyday, they love it and so does their skin and coat :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi's given you great advice..I totally agree on the Fromms, the 4 star grain free line can be fed from puppy through senior and you can mix and match all of their lines because there is no waiting period. As long as you get him off the Eukanuba is all that really matters. Blue and Wellness are top line foods as well. Fruits and veggies are a great treat item as well.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Brett was on Nature Domain because of his breeder and I switched him to Taste of The Wild high prairie and he's was pink and always licking his paws so I decided to switched him to Fromm Beef Fritata so far it's going well for both. Logan's Breeder put him him on Diamond brand so I switched him too...he would have soft stool sometimes but I'll give him another 15-20 days to see if Fromm beef Fritata is good for him. It's really a trial and error.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had our puppies on the Fromm's Puppy Gold, and they seemed to tolerate it very well. You can go on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor to check dog food ratings, it really depends on what your budget will allow. Whichever food you decide on do a VERY gradual switch at about 1/4cup at a time. This means it should take you about a week to completely change over to the new food… this will help w/any gastro upset. You can also add about a tsp daily of fat-free greek yogurt to help w/any gas issues. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I have two bulldog pups and had my fair share of stress trying to find a food that's good for them and also agrees with them. At this point in time we have settled with two different types as I just didn't seem to be able to get one food to work for both. One can't have salmon one can't have lamb, one can have grains the other can't, nor needs lower protein levels. Their current foods are Fromm Pork & Applesauce for Floyd and Fromm Beef Frittata for Lola, so far so good. It really is trial and error. You've been given good advice as far as doing a slow transition from old food to new food. You have to have patience as it can take quite a bit of time to get out of their system, up to a month. Although I noticed results much quicker for the good and the bad. The other advice would be to buy smaller bags of the new food just incase it doesn't work out then there is no big waste of food or money. I know its overwhelming I literally spent day after day researching food only to do it all over again a month later. Good luck in your search.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.