Does anyone feed their bull-pup wellness?

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I'm feeding my dog wellness, but am wondering if maybe I should switch to something better. Her belly does just fine on it and she loves it, but I think she may be over weight and she has wicked tear stains. Also, she (mostly her face, and yes I do wipe it daily) will start to smell like hampster pee after about a week following a bath. Is this normal or a sign that maybe I should switch foods?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wellness is considered to be a good food but not all foods work with every dog. You may want to try another highly rated food, Fromm is very popular among our members. My Samson didn't have any tear stains on Fromm and he smelled wonderful!

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Thanks. I have noticed that Fromm and Instinct are very popular and have started researching them. I also just assumed that the smell was normal for a Bullie. Glad to know that it is not and that it may be something that a diet change could get rid of. I sometimes worry that our house will start to smell like her.

BTW I love your quote!! People that don't own a Bulldog just look at me cock-eyed when I ramble on about my Bella as if she were an infant and tell them how she makes me laugh and smile soooo much. I just look at her and I melt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The most complaints I have heard about wellness puppy is the :poo: is pretty bad. It really is a good food, but just not up to the standards of Fromm.

My bullies smelled the BEST on Avoderm, but I have since switched to Fromm. It is just is so much better for them, and the tear stains are gone, they just do so well with it. If you have a hard time finding it in your area (and most likely it will be more expensive anyway!) you can order it from Petflow, Free shipping, use this link and give coupon code ENGLISHBULLDOG and you will always get free shipping on orders over $59.... and you pay no sales tax either! Many of our members use Petflow and no complaints yet :up:

Click Here: Petflow

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks. I have noticed that Fromm and Instinct are very popular and have started researching them. I also just assumed that the smell was normal for a Bullie. Glad to know that it is not and that it may be something that a diet change could get rid of. I sometimes worry that our house will start to smell like her.

BTW I love your quote!! People that don't own a Bulldog just look at me cock-eyed when I ramble on about my Bella as if she were an infant and tell them how she makes me laugh and smile soooo much. I just look at her and I melt.

LOL People that don't love bulldogs can never understand. I always say its takes a special person to really love a bulldog because they are a truly unique breed. I love that quote too, it is so true. Not matter how hard my day is once I get home and get that super excited, wiggle butt welcome from my boy Samson all those stresses of the day just seem to disappear!

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We just changed to Wellness Core and Hudson looooooooooooooooooooves it. His :poo: is less, but it can get stinky. But overall, his skin is so much better that I'm in love with it. My vet's happy with it too. But I think there's a couple good foods out there - as everyone says Fromm seems to be great (we haven't tried it since wellness hasn't failed) and you're bound to find the right fit eventually.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
The most complaints I have heard about wellness puppy is the :poo: is pretty bad. It really is a good food, but just not up to the standards of Fromm.

My bullies smelled the BEST on Avoderm, but I have since switched to Fromm. It is just is so much better for them, and the tear stains are gone, they just do so well with it. If you have a hard time finding it in your area (and most likely it will be more expensive anyway!) you can order it from Petflow, Free shipping, use this link and give coupon code ENGLISHBULLDOG and you will always get free shipping on orders over $59.... and you pay no sales tax either! Many of our members use Petflow and no complaints yet :up:

Click Here: Petflow

Thank you for the link. I am considering Fromm, Natures Variety Instinct, and Nature's Logic. I just hate the idea of not being able to get most of them at my local petco. When we first got Bella, we bought what the breeder had her on so that we didn't upset her belly( I think it was Royal Canin). I hated it and petco told me to bring it in and return it for a full refund. I like having the option to return incase of an allergy or dissatisfaction. I'm so torn whether or not to chance it by ordering online.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
We just changed to Wellness Core and Hudson looooooooooooooooooooves it. His :poo: is less, but it can get stinky. But overall, his skin is so much better that I'm in love with it. My vet's happy with it too. But I think there's a couple good foods out there - as everyone says Fromm seems to be great (we haven't tried it since wellness hasn't failed) and you're bound to find the right fit eventually.

My puggle, Bindi is on wellness core and I LOVE it for HER. She always smells nice and has the softest fur, but I had to start placing her food upstairs cause if Bella sneaks some nibbles, she leaves soft serve on my lawn :poo:...I will never look at soft serve ice cream the same way again.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you for the link. I am considering Fromm, Natures Variety Instinct, and Nature's Logic. I just hate the idea of not being able to get most of them at my local petco. When we first got Bella, we bought what the breeder had her on so that we didn't upset her belly( I think it was Royal Canin). I hated it and petco told me to bring it in and return it for a full refund. I like having the option to return incase of an allergy or dissatisfaction. I'm so torn whether or not to chance it by ordering online.

Check to see if you local feed store has them. The reason you don't find them at major pet retailers is because they don't make enough off of them, the cost vs. shelf space thing.

I agree, you should definitely test them out before you go online, but eventually if you choose any of those it is a really great option.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
If your feed store doesn't have it then you can try to see if they can special order it for you. The feed store I go to doesn't carry Fromm but they were able to order it for me.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Tessa and DesertSky...
Thank-you so much for the idea. I will call around and see what I can come up will.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
We had Phatty on Wellness for about three weeks and just switched him to Fromms as of yesterday. His poopy was nasty soft and he was gassy. Also, he started shaking and itching his head/ears. So I didn't even want to finish the bag of Wellness (it was Super5 whitefish and sweetpotato).

I don't think his changes were from the actual switch of the food because we've switched his food a gazillion times and we've learned he's not stomach sensitive. Plus, he didn't even want to eat the Wellness for some reason (that's strange for my boy). So I just felt that that was not the food for him and wanted to go to Fromms.

And thank you all for such great information - we all just want to do what's best for our babies!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon and the store does not carry the large bags that I buy, BUT, I call them about a week before I need food and they will order it for me at no extra cost. And they have a program for $10.00 that is good for the next two years, buy 12 bags get the 13th free. Ask where you normally buy the food and maybe they can order it in for you.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dozer was on wellness , bt his stomach would not tolerate it al all. He had runny poopy and got diaper rash because of it. Switched to Canidea and no problems since. In a few months i'm considering trying fromm. There is nowhere to buy fromm around here and also i don't want to swiitch him to often. He was on royal canine when i got him YUCK, but for now Canidea is working out great.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.