Diet to tell what/if dog has food allergies

maggiemashinske

Jan 3, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Does anyone have a diet to tell what my bullies food allergies are? Maybe I should cook her a bland diet for a few weeks and see what happens? She has been on every fromm food and is on a hydroxzyne. But whenever we stop with the medicine she starts itching! Rubbing her face on the couch, it rubs the fur off around her eyes and face folds. I thought maybe I should put her on a cheaper food. I was told maybe the protein is too high for her in fromm food. The breeder I got her from don't even feed a grain free food and said he never has a problem. I'm getting frustrated :evil:

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Have you ruled out environmental allergies?

As far as diet, the best thing is to find a novel protein and carb/starch source to identify if there is an allergy to one of the main ingredients. It is also a possibility that a dog can be allergic to the vitamin packs added to kibble. It's a lengthy process trying to rule out which foods could be causing the sensitivities but a dermatologist will tell you that the best way to determine a food allergy is by an elimination diet...don't waste your money on a blood serum test! They warned me not to but I did it anyway and I wish I hadn't. The results showed she was allergic to everything she was currently eating but did not show an allergy to chicken which I know she has an allergy to. If you are testing for environmental allergies, go to a derm and ask them to do the skin test. It's considered to be the gold standard for allergy testing. Again...I wish I would have done that. You live and you learn.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Which flavor of the Fromm are you feeding?

OP
maggiemashinske

maggiemashinske

Jan 3, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
So about a week ago maggie decided she didn't want to eat her evening food. Her evening food has fish oil on it her morning food has greek yogurt on it. So I took away the fish oil and here we are a week later and no face itching! She won't be getting fish oil anymore. Hopefully it does the trick. Or maybe its the new bulldog wanting to play all day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online