Peanut butter?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Now and then I see references to peanut butter, and I'd just like to check if that is ordinary peanut butter? I have a jar of Skippy crunchy peanut butter - is that safe for dogs?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am guessing that the best peanut butter for them would be ALL natural-most of them like Skippy all add sugar. I don't even like any except the no sugar kind, because they taste too sweet. If you are just using it to give a pill, I am sure the skippy wouldn't hurt-I myself have given pills in regular PB-but in larger amounts-I'd go "natural"(no sugar,etc.)

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I am guessing that the best peanut butter for them would be ALL natural-most of them like Skippy all add sugar. I don't even like any except the no sugar kind, because they taste too sweet. If you are just using it to give a pill, I am sure the skippy wouldn't hurt-I myself have given pills in regular PB-but in larger amounts-I'd go "natural"(no sugar,etc.)

Oh, you're right; I now see that there's sugar in the one we've got. I didn't even think of that - was just thinking of the peanut content. I was going to use it to make his bones a bit more fun for him, so I will get an all-natural type. Thanks for your response!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We use all natural pb as well, just peanuts. It will separate but we keep in fridge :)

sent from my droid mini

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We use all natural pb as well, just peanuts. It will separate but we keep in fridge :)

sent from my droid mini

Thanks; I have located a brand that is only peanuts that I think is available in our local grocery shop, so Castor will soon get to taste peanutr butter!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Yup, we make our own peanut butter. It's easy and I like knowing that nothing is added. I was appalled when I started reading all the junk they put in the major brands.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=10979]Bella and Dozers Dad[/MENTION], [MENTION=13734]OliviaB[/MENTION]
Many thanks for your suggestions but I'm not sure I could get natural peanuts here - most shops only sell salted ones!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
@Bella and Dozers Dad, @OliviaB
Many thanks for your suggestions but I'm not sure I could get natural peanuts here - most shops only sell salted ones!
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION], here at Whole Foods, they have plain peanuts (unflavored, unsalted) that is attached to a grinder, so you decide how much you want and you catched the peanut butter transformation to a container. Voila. - No added sugar, no other ingredients but just plain ol' peanut butter.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13, here at Whole Foods, they have plain peanuts (unflavored, unsalted) that is attached to a grinder, so you decide how much you want and you catched the peanut butter transformation to a container. Voila. - No added sugar, no other ingredients but just plain ol' peanut butter.

Wow, that sounds like a smart idea!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.