Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Our vet finally said Mr. Chubbs was overweight. A month ago he was 68.6 pounds, eating Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice formula 1.5 cups twice a day. We slowly cut him back to 1 cup twice a day. He lost 2.1 pounds in the first two weeks, which was great! And I tried to be disciplined myself about walking him. He went for 2-3 30 minute walks per week.

The next two weeks, he continued to eat 1 cup twice a day. I got a little lazy about his walks, but he still went on 1-2 per week. Now he's back to 66.7, so he gained 1.2 pounds back.

He was taking antibiotics for an ear infection during those second two weeks, so he got extra calories from the bread and or treats and peanut butter he needed so he would actually take the pills.

The vet told me to aim for 60 pounds, so 6.7 to go! Any suggestions? I hate to cut back his food anymore. The 1 cup looks like such a small amount of food. He does get a little scoop of non fat plain yogurt with breakfast and three squirts of liquid fish oil with dinner, too. Minimal treats in his diet, maybe 4 per week? They are Blue Buffalo brand so I like to think they are relatively healthy.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 237

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Our vet finally said Mr. Chubbs was overweight. A month ago he was 68.6 pounds, eating Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice formula 1.5 cups twice a day. We slowly cut him back to 1 cup twice a day. He lost 2.1 pounds in the first two weeks, which was great! And I tried to be disciplined myself about walking him. He went for 2-3 30 minute walks per week.

The next two weeks, he continued to eat 1 cup twice a day. I got a little lazy about his walks, but he still went on 1-2 per week. Now he's back to 66.7, so he gained 1.2 pounds back.

He was taking antibiotics for an ear infection during those second two weeks, so he got extra calories from the bread and or treats and peanut butter he needed so he would actually take the pills.

The vet told me to aim for 60 pounds, so 6.7 to go! Any suggestions? I hate to cut back his food anymore. The 1 cup looks like such a small amount of food. He does get a little scoop of non fat plain yogurt with breakfast and three squirts of liquid fish oil with dinner, too. Minimal treats in his diet, maybe 4 per week? They are Blue Buffalo brand so I like to think they are relatively healthy.

View attachment 85402

Green beans!! We had to cut back Tyson's food too, so we started adding green beans, 1 cup food, 1 cup green beans. They are good for him, empty calories, but will help keep him full & give him the impression he has alot of food, lol. You could also do carrots, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, kidney beans maybe not all at once, but see what he likes. We do the cut green beans, I boil them to make them soft, and add to kibble with his yogurt, etc. I'll do pumpkin too to give him variety.... he loves it. Don't be alarm at green poop though!

PS - He is super cute, love his face, and honestly exercise is the very best for him, keep on with the walks, its helpful for all and will help him health wise long term. Tyson goes on 2 walks everyday.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

View attachment 85402

You can give him veggies as treats. Less calories and you can give him more throughout the day. I made Goob lose weight. I cut his food from a full cup twice a day to a LITTLE LESS than a full cup twice a day. We walk him a couple times a day everyday but he is an active guy. Don't try to go too fast. Either way he is one handsome guy!!! I love his coloring.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can give him veggies as treats. Less calories and you can give him more throughout the day. I made Goob lose weight. I cut his food from a full cup twice a day to a LITTLE LESS than a full cup twice a day. We walk him a couple times a day everyday but he is an active guy. Don't try to go too fast. Either way he is one handsome guy!!! I love his coloring.

this is great great advice, try snow peas for treats too. They love them!!

He is one good looking Bulldog!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Green beans!! We had to cut back Tyson's food too, so we started adding green beans, 1 cup food, 1 cup green beans. They are good for him, empty calories, but will help keep him full & give him the impression he has alot of food, lol. You could also do carrots, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, kidney beans maybe not all at once, but see what he likes. We do the cut green beans, I boil them to make them soft, and add to kibble with his yogurt, etc. I'll do pumpkin too to give him variety.... he loves it. Don't be alarm at green poop though!

PS - He is super cute, love his face, and honestly exercise is the very best for him, keep on with the walks, its helpful for all and will help him health wise long term. Tyson goes on 2 walks everyday.

Great advice! When Banks was 70 lbs and we had to get her down to 60, we cut her back to a half-cup of kibble and half-cup of green beans per meal. She did great and we kept the weight off once she got down... she remained between 60-62 most of her life and she never missed out on treats or special meals, just kept her kibble at 1 cup per meal 2x a day

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=13289]Mcleanb7[/MENTION]...Mr. Chubbs is so cute...my bulldog's name isChubby and he is 60lbs...how old is Mr. Chubbs??? BTW...I love his colors[emoji7]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Mcleanb7 What a handsome dude he is! He just wants ta' live up to his name,is all! Hope you like green beans,Mr. Chubbs!

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
2 words...cutie patootie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]...Chubby looks awesome...a skinny chubby just wouldn't be right!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

View attachment 85402

Awww Chubbs is so cute!! The vet told us about 6 months ago that Barkley needed to lose weight too (he was at 70 pounds-yikes!) so we cut the amount of food we were feeding in half and supplemented the other half with green beans. We buy the frozen bags of cut green beans and thaw them out. Barkley loves them!!

It did take awhile for the weight to come off (Barkley refuses to go on walks but loves running around the house or yard to play with his toys at least!) we went to the vet a couple weeks ago and he was down to 61 pounds! Yay! The vet said he still needed to lose a bit more, at least 5 more pounds, so we will keep him on the green bean diet for awhile!

Good luck to you and Chubbs!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Great advice already [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]