Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mr. Chubbs needs to lose weight!

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mr. Chubbs needs to lose weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mcleanb7 View Post
    Our vet finally said Mr. Chubbs was overweight. A month ago he was 68.6 pounds, eating Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice formula 1.5 cups twice a day. We slowly cut him back to 1 cup twice a day. He lost 2.1 pounds in the first two weeks, which was great! And I tried to be disciplined myself about walking him. He went for 2-3 30 minute walks per week.

The next two weeks, he continued to eat 1 cup twice a day. I got a little lazy about his walks, but he still went on 1-2 per week. Now he's back to 66.7, so he gained 1.2 pounds back.

He was taking antibiotics for an ear infection during those second two weeks, so he got extra calories from the bread and or treats and peanut butter he needed so he would actually take the pills.

The vet told me to aim for 60 pounds, so 6.7 to go! Any suggestions? I hate to cut back his food anymore. The 1 cup looks like such a small amount of food. He does get a little scoop of non fat plain yogurt with breakfast and three squirts of liquid fish oil with dinner, too. Minimal treats in his diet, maybe 4 per week? They are Blue Buffalo brand so I like to think they are relatively healthy.

Attachment 85402
    Awww Chubbs is so cute!! The vet told us about 6 months ago that Barkley needed to lose weight too (he was at 70 pounds-yikes!) so we cut the amount of food we were feeding in half and supplemented the other half with green beans. We buy the frozen bags of cut green beans and thaw them out. Barkley loves them!!

It did take awhile for the weight to come off (Barkley refuses to go on walks but loves running around the house or yard to play with his toys at least!) we went to the vet a couple weeks ago and he was down to 61 pounds! Yay! The vet said he still needed to lose a bit more, at least 5 more pounds, so we will keep him on the green bean diet for awhile!

Good luck to you and Chubbs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley
    Likes (Received)

What a gorgeous looking boy

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Great advice already
    His markings are stunning, he's really cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bully Bootie Duty boo boo butts mom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    boo boo butt
    Likes (Received)

My girls vet said she needed to lose weight and I just about fell over. What? I thought her figure 8 was amazing! Said she wanted her to be closer to the weight of 50lbs. So we began our journey of weight loss lol. I began measuring her food rather than free feeding her. Today she is at her weight that the vet wanted and while she is healthier all around she still rocks that pretty girl figure 8 in my eyes. Her breeder shows dogs and was amazed at her muscle structure when she seen her last week. Said she looked really nice and was very pleased at how healthy she is. Vet tech went to pick her up and said omg she is solid which I had to laugh. It was harder on me to change her eating habits then it was on her lol.

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)

He is a year and a half! Yes, most people tell me they've never seen one with his coloring ☺️

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boo boo butts mom View Post
    My girls vet said she needed to lose weight and I just about fell over. What? I thought her figure 8 was amazing! Said she wanted her to be closer to the weight of 50lbs. So we began our journey of weight loss lol. I began measuring her food rather than free feeding her. Today she is at her weight that the vet wanted and while she is healthier all around she still rocks that pretty girl figure 8 in my eyes. Her breeder shows dogs and was amazed at her muscle structure when she seen her last week. Said she looked really nice and was very pleased at how healthy she is. Vet tech went to pick her up and said omg she is solid which I had to laugh. It was harder on me to change her eating habits then it was on her lol.
    wow, 50 seems low, we are shooting for 60!

7. Likes Marine91, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

wow, 50 seems low, we are shooting for 60!
    Mine is only 35 and will be staying between it and 40. Lol
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Bully Bootie Duty boo boo butts mom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    boo boo butt
    Likes (Received)

Boo was at 55 when vet said that and she was pointing out about her shape and how it is a lot of weight to carry on her legs ect. She never really exercises and sleeps a lot like most bullies do. So outside of me playing with her i began walking her daily and she is getting better at it. She would much prefer probably sleeping but its good for her. She is use to me measuring her food and her vet said i fed her to much by free feeding her which is why i measure her food always. I couldnt imagine her being to much bigger, i wouldnt be able to pick her up lol, i can barely pick her up now.

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)

Chubbs is back to his starting weight of 68. We have already cut back from 1.5 cups two times a day to 1 cup twice a day. Just started 3/4 cup with 1/2 cup green beans. I try to walk him but I don't think that's helping at all. And I live in SC and I soon won't be able to walk him outside. If this doesn't work, I may switch to another food with a lower protein and fat %.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)

Chubbs is back to his starting weight of 68. We have already cut back from 1.5 cups two times a day to 1 cup twice a day. Just started 3/4 cup with 1/2 cup green beans. I try to walk him but I don't think that's helping at all. And I live in SC and I soon won't be able to walk him outside. If this doesn't work, I may switch to another food with a lower protein and fat %.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Good plan... Give it about a month to see if he is losing any weight---- good luck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads