1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am looking for a new food for Monty. He was on Royal Canin Bulldog when we got him and has been on Victors Healthy weight. I am interested in a revolving menu, grain free. i know Fromms is the go to food on here but I can't quite afford that right now but still want to give him the best quality I can. The Avoderm is rated 4 star on DogFoodAdvisor. Monty has stains in his folds which I am trying to get rid of. He had goopy eyes which had disappeared until a few days ago but it is heavy tree pollen season here and I am thinking that has a lot to do with it. I give him plain greek yoghurt, coconut oil, ACV and pumpkin (as a filler) every day. I have to watch his weight and I read that the pumpkin is a good way to satisfy their hunger without overfeeding apart from its other benefits. His coat is no longer dry and much softer than it was which I put down to the coconut oil. Does anyone have any experience, thoughts, regarding the Avoderm? Thanks! By the way, if a similar post shows up, I apologize. I thought I had posted it before but I can't find it!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I had Pugs on Avoderm and all it did was cause Diarrhea.

Merricks has a topnotch grain free line so does Wellness, I've used both and both caused no adverse effects. I have Buster on Fromms because I like being able to switch flavors with no wait period, I know it's very expensive and sometimes we have to make sacrifices but it's well worth it.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He may do well on it but you won't know until you try. I know some people whose dogs are fine on Avoderm and others whose dogs did not do well on it. We had to try four different foods until we found one for Frank. We feed Fromms but he also does better on some of the kinds of Fromms than others. It is definitely also the time for environmental allergies to pop up. We give Frank 2 benedryl in the morning and 2 in the evening to help with his allergies.

Coconut oil is great for coats! Frank's has improved since we started adding some oil (coconut or salmon) to some of his meals. Green beans, peas, and carrots are also good for fillers. I know sometimes too much pumpkin can cause looser stools.

Frank's tear stains also improved when we started using filtered water.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had Pugs on Avoderm and all it did was cause Diarrhea.

Merricks has a topnotch grain free line so does Wellness, I've used both and both caused no adverse effects. I have Buster on Fromms because I like being able to switch flavors with no wait period, I know it's very expensive and sometimes we have to make sacrifices but it's well worth it.

Was it the Revolving Menu?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may do well on it but you won't know until you try. I know some people whose dogs are fine on Avoderm and others whose dogs did not do well on it. We had to try four different foods until we found one for Frank. We feed Fromms but he also does better on some of the kinds of Fromms than others. It is definitely also the time for environmental allergies to pop up. We give Frank 2 benedryl in the morning and 2 in the evening to help with his allergies.

Coconut oil is great for coats! Frank's has improved since we started adding some oil (coconut or salmon) to some of his meals. Green beans, peas, and carrots are also good for fillers. I know sometimes too much pumpkin can cause looser stools.

Frank's tear stains also improved when we started using filtered water.

Great info!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.