Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Ace has always been great with any food. He will even eat lettuce! Ace escaped from home recently. I got him back (Prayers answered) about 6 days later. Of course, he was given some other food. He came back doing well. He ate fine for a couple of days. One day my wife decided to give him some cooked chicken. I got home and he didn't want to eat his kibble for dinner. I assumed it was due to the cooked chicken he had. Following day, wife told me that he was eating his breakfast and all of a sudden jumped back and started barking at his bowl. It was weird cause he would gobble the food off my hand, but if I would offer it to him on his stainless steel bowl he would walk back. I assumed he may have seen reflection and freaked out? LOL. I bought him a white ceramic bowl, added some yogurt to his food, and boom he was eating like crazy again. Did this for about 2 days. He is currently being taken care of by my father for a few days and I forgot to drop off the yogurt. He called me today that he doesn't want his food, that he will eat close to noon, and doesn't seem enthusiastic about it. He is active, drinking water, etc. I'm wondering if its do to the added toppings that he is now wanting them or if he is getting bored of his kibble.

I've had him on Fromm's Lamb and Lentil for approx 3 months. He's done really well with reduced shedding and reduced tear stains so I don't want to change him. Any input on this guys? Thanks in advance!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he has had some stres and since he is not at home, may be a little nerved out -- OCD at it's best. he will eat when hungry enough. as long as all his other behavior is fine (drinking, potty, etc) I would not be too concerned. Also, keep in mind, the Fromm grain free line, you can switch the flavors from meal to meal... if you have two flavors that work great for him switch between them at will.

I used Pork and Peas and Game Bird for Banks

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I just went through all the fromm's line up. Seems that most of them have sweet potato which is what I linked to excessive shedding and tear stains. I had him on beef frittata, pork and peas and noticed increased shedding and increased tear stain. Thanks for the fast reply. I just found an exact thread topic on this. Apologize for the double topic.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just went through all the fromm's line up. Seems that most of them have sweet potato which is what I linked to excessive shedding and tear stains. I had him on beef frittata, pork and peas and noticed increased shedding and increased tear stain. Thanks for the fast reply. I just found an exact thread topic on this. Apologize for the double topic.

UGH! that stinks... just stay with the yogurt then

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie and Brutus are going through this as well. Acting bored with the food and not eating until close to noon! The problem with this is Brutus will throw up if his tummy is empty too long. I switched their food over to The Honest Kitchen and so far both are loving it.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Added yogurt back into the mix and he's gobbling it down. I figured out why he would freak out with the bowl today. Seems his new collar and tag end up hitting the side of the stainless steel bowl making a long "diiinggg" sound. It happens today and he jumped back, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Added yogurt back into the mix and he's gobbling it down. I figured out why he would freak out with the bowl today. Seems his new collar and tag end up hitting the side of the stainless steel bowl making a long "diiinggg" sound. It happens today and he jumped back, lol.

LOL... there was a bulldog at the day care I worked at and we had to remove his collar when he ate, for just that reason... if the tag hit the bowl, he would run and sit in the corner and not eat

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
This is the thread I was needing (what is the title of the second that ace mentioned?).

A little backstory - Starting in August/September I started turning Colossus' world upside down trying to move to Phoenix. Everything was good with him, a little stressed out but he would eat, and just be normal all around. Fast forward to December the move comes. WIthout thinking I pack his food in the trailer without pulling some out for him. He ate the day of the move just fine, but no dinner. He did puke in the motel room, with what I call "empty belly syndrome." I didnt think it to be too serious, as we were going to be arriving in Phoenix in 12 hours. Since that time, hes not been as happy to eat as before. He used to go ape crazy before eating, now hes just blah. He's never been fickle about his food, until now. IVe changed flavors, doctored his food (coconut oil - how much is too much; bacon grease; etc etc). But if he doesnt eat, he gets "empty belly syndrome" and pukes. Everything else and I mean everything else seems to be normal, drinking water out the wazoo, potty, poop, energy, but just being fickle eater. I need some help.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
What food do you have him on? It may be the new environment and he still needs time. How about cooked food, does he eat any of that? Ace will not go crazy with just the simple dry food anymore. It has to have yogurt in it. If I don't have yogurt, he will barely eat one bowl daily. Didn't want to run the risk of him going hypoglycemic, so I added the yogurt back and wala! Now, if I'm cooking or eating, he is a hover craft around me waiting for me to stop something. He's not picky on cooked food, that's for sure.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Nula went through a short spell with food boredom, I mixed in a bit of coconut oil in with her food.
She loved it not to mention all the health benefits.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus is/was on Fromm salmon tunalini, but when this got bad I got a couple small bags of beef frittata and game bird. I would have thought three months would be enough time. He is definitely a hoover when it comes to cooked food. If I have to do start cooking then I will. I've never had a dog that was picky like this. My worry is that he doesn't eat he pukes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online