Thread: Food advice at 17 weeks

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hodor
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food advice at 17 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    To see the results of any food, you should keep him on it for a full 30 days. Anything less is misleading.
    Also, changing too often will definitely lead to everything you're describing.
    We've mostly switched him to different recipes within the Fromm 4 Star line. I know some people feed their dogs a different Fromm recipe at each meal, so I'm confused as to why switching every 3-4 weeks would lead to digestion issues. Is this just because he's a puppy? Also, are you saying that we should leave him on boiled chicken and rice for 30 days? Is it safe to feed a puppy an unbalanced diet like that for a month?

He's young and healthy, so why is the breeder so adamant about a lower protein food?
    For a bulldog puppy, I'd be more worried about the amount of calories/fat they're getting. You don't want them growing too fast as this can
    lead to joint issues, which contribute to the all too common hip and knee problems with this breed.
    From what I've read/heard from the breeder, high protein in puppy food is to support the puppy's rapid growth. High protein puppy food might allow the puppy to grow too quickly.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullyface View Post
    We've mostly switched him to different recipes within the Fromm 4 Star line. I know some people feed their dogs a different Fromm recipe at each meal, so I'm confused as to why switching every 3-4 weeks would lead to digestion issues. Is this just because he's a puppy? Also, are you saying that we should leave him on boiled chicken and rice for 30 days? Is it safe to feed a puppy an unbalanced diet like that for a month?

From what I've read/heard from the breeder, high protein in puppy food is to support the puppy's rapid growth. High protein puppy food might allow the puppy to grow too quickly.
    I'm saying, "I" think when switching- it's best to keep them on the same food. After the switch is complete, you can play around with different kibble from that line. But they all have different protein sources, so one may agree, another may not. It's impossible to tell what works though when you're switching that often.

No, I'm not saying keep him on boiled chicken.

From what I understand, it's more about overfeeding (too many calories) that leads to rapid growth, not so much the protein content. Because of that, I went with Fromms large breed puppy formula but switched to the all stage line when Blue was 6 months.
    But hey, we can agree to disagree.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hodor
    Likes (Received)

I'm saying, "I" think when switching- it's best to keep them on the same food. After the switch is complete, you can play around with different kibble from that line. But they all have different protein sources, so one may agree, another may not. It's impossible to tell what works though when you're switching that often.

No, I'm not saying keep him on boiled chicken.

From what I understand, it's more about overfeeding (too many calories) that leads to rapid growth, not so much the protein content. Because of that, I went with Fromms large breed puppy formula but switched to the all stage line when Blue was 6 months.
    But hey, we can agree to disagree.
    Thanks for the advice and clarification!

I don't necessarily disagree - problem is I don't really know anything! I'm sure everyone goes through this with their first puppy, but it's difficult figuring out what to do with so many different opinions.

Also, a lot of recommendations are based on personal experience. For example, a breeder decides to start switching his puppies over to adult food at 4 months and notices they are less prone to bone/joint problems. Who knows what else has changed - maybe he also reduced calories, maybe those puppies came from a healthier line, maybe he started giving the puppies vitamins where he previously didn't, etc.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@bullyface I understand, and totally get the personal experience recommendations. We all do it..lol..

But from the independent studies I've read (I'm all about studies done by veterinary schools) they all say the same thing which is pretty much over feeding. I have read that "high-energy diets" can lead to it too. High energy diets are generally high protein diets, but even when they're mentioned, the caveat is overnutrition. I've never seen protein mentioned alone.

You're right though, there's a ton of factors that come into play including the most important, genetics. At the end of the day, it's impossible to say for certain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads