Rachel Rays Dog Food & Allergies

danton

Jan 22, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi all,

I have been feeding my bullie Rachel Rays for the past 8 months or so, recently he has developed a nasty ear infection. The vet pointed to some type of allergy he has, but of course was unable to pin point it. I've already bought Nuvet supplements, but am considering changing food.

Does anyone have any recommendations or heard negative things about Rachel Ray & bulldogs?

Thanks in advance.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi all,

I have been feeding my bullie Rachel Rays for the past 8 months or so, recently he has developed a nasty ear infection. The vet pointed to some type of allergy he has, but of course was unable to pin point it. I've already bought Nuvet supplements, but am considering changing food.

Does anyone have any recommendations or heard negative things about Rachel Ray & bulldogs?

Thanks in advance.

I believe Rachel Ray is rated like a 2 or 2.5 - which isn't great. I would definitely switch over a higher quality food, like Fromms, Taste of the Wild, etc. I noticed the RR has chicken meal, rice, corn - all those are big allergy triggers for bullies. I'd go grain free... you can find retailers online through the Fromms website. Or any specialty pet store should carry. You won't find the higher quality foods at the grocery store, or Petsmart, Petco. My neighbor down the street fed her bully RR - she didn't have alot problems per say, but once she felt Tyson, and saw his coat vs. hers, she switched over, and it made a big difference. Her bully wasn't as rough to the touch anymore, much softer and didn't have hot spots anymore! You should see a huge difference in allergies, and yeast once on a better food. May not be 100% but definitely noticeable.

Here's a link from the forum regarding foods & their ratings:

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I didn't know Rachel Ray had a dog food line but it doesn't surprise me. Many folks here use Fromm or Nature's Variety Instinct is another highly rated brand. Right now i'm using Merrick and it's working out pretty well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe Rachel Ray is rated like a 2 or 2.5 - which isn't great. I would definitely switch over a higher quality food, like Fromms, Taste of the Wild, etc. I noticed the RR has chicken meal, rice, corn - all those are big allergy triggers for bullies. I'd go grain free... you can find retailers online through the Fromms website. Or any specialty pet store should carry. You won't find the higher quality foods at the grocery store, or Petsmart, Petco. My neighbor down the street fed her bully RR - she didn't have alot problems per say, but once she felt Tyson, and saw his coat vs. hers, she switched over, and it made a big difference. Her bully wasn't as rough to the touch anymore, much softer and didn't have hot spots anymore! You should see a huge difference in allergies, and yeast once on a better food. May not be 100% but definitely noticeable.

Here's a link from the forum regarding foods & their ratings:

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

GREAT post!!!

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I will share my experience. I have had Ace for about 13 months now. Within the first 10 months, I had to switch his kibble approx numerous times. He was being fed Diamond brand, which I didn't care for due to all the fillers. I switched him to Fromm's Puppy gold and he did well with the first bag. On the 2nd bag I noticed an increase of tear stains and rough coat, along with some shedding. I was also noticed some pink skin tone on his face. These were signs of allergies. So I went on to Fromm's Beef Frittata. He did well again. Tear stain was still there. Coat was getting better, but nevertheless, excessive shedding. Changed to Fromm's Pork and Applesuace. Slightly better, but still with excess shedding. When I mean shedding, I mean his entire bed would be "snowed in" with his hair. This is cause I would groom him daily! So on to Pork and Peas, which resulted the same. Switched to Taste of the Wild salmon, he didn't like it. This lasted for only 2 days, then switched to Taste of the Wild Pork and Sweet Potato. Oh man did I make a mistake. He started getting burgundy tear stains and burgundy paws! These were signs of yeast. After about 3 weeks, I finally switched him to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. This is what I have him on now. It has reduced shedding like crazy! He still sheds, but nothing compared to before. His yeast signs are gone. He still has a tear stain and tears quite a bit but this is probably related to environmental allergies. Every EB is different. I've seen some on Pedigree or Purina Dog Chow with amazing coats, non existent tear stains, and great muscle tone. It's about trial and error :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When I saw Rachel rays food years ago I was immediately drawn to it, thinking that it would be good stuff since she's such a great cook and all! Then I read the ingredients, boy was I disappointed! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.