General Question Large Breed or medium size dog?

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
We have a 4.5 month old pup. We are currently feeding Wellness Core puppy. We were told by a few other bullie owners yesterday that they are considered large breed therefore he should be on a large breed puppy food.
We were also told to transition him to large breed adult food between 6-8 months. I get their weight when adults can make them a large breed weight but their size is a medium size dog. HELP!

bubs0604

Sep 9, 2012
fairfield ca
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Armstrong
I would say based on your pups weight and age is when you should change their diet gradually and of course always speak to your vet first. With Armstrong it was more of a digestion issue so its hard for me to give you advice on how long to feed him puppy food but i want to say i eventually switched to adult food at 8 months to a year. It was definitely longer than 6 months. He is also on just a regular adult formula which does not preference large or medium breeds just adult. But i would recommend talking with your vet because they know your pups history and will steer you the right way. :cool:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I personally think a puppy is a puppy. As long as they are on a good food, and not junk, they will be fine. Same with adult. The QUALITY of the food they eat is the important thing. In my opinion the large-small may be difference in size of bites, but other than that it is a marketing ploy. QUALITY is most important.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I personally think a puppy is a puppy. As long as they are on a good food, and not junk, they will be fine. Same with adult. The QUALITY of the food they eat is the important thing. In my opinion the large-small may be difference in size of bites, but other than that it is a marketing ploy. QUALITY is most important.

Agreed! I feed Fromm Puppy gold (pink bag)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I also fed Fromm puppy in the pink bag but when he was about 4 months old, I switched to their large breed. The main difference is in calories/fat. It has less than the regular puppy formula. It's also supposed to have additional supplements.

I'd rather my bulldog pup did not grow too fast as it can contribute to joint issues. So I prefer a lower calorie puppy formula.