Healthy Fillers / Limited Ingredient Kibble

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
What are some healthy fillers? Tyson needs to lose weight, we have him on a limited ingredient diet with one protein & we're doing green beans. He loves them, but the boy stays hungry!!! Is there anything else we can add to the food to help make him "feel" full, but not add to his weight?
We currently do one cup kibble / one cup green beans 2x a day.

Since we started him on the Limited Ingredient kibble, he eats grass from time to time - there's a number of reasons for grass eating, like to help aid with digestion, to help settle belly, but I also read it could be a lack of protein. Thoughts?? Could it be because he's down to just one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
have you tried Vegas stew ? Also, grass eating can also just be because it is something to do :D

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - I have not yet tried it but have been wanting to do you think that's okay to add to the kibble and green beans?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama - I have not yet tried it but have been wanting to do you think that's okay to add to the kibble and green beans?

I think so..... Oh Cheryl!? [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm almost sure I did 3/4 c kibble and 1/2 c GB, but maybe it was 2/3 and. 2/3.... Either way he can have more GB, they have. 0 calories and 0 fat, my only concern would be too much of a good thing. Lol. (Just watch his poo) Also remember it takes time, if you think 1/2 c is not enough kibble, you can up it a bit.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Okay great maybe I'll make some of the stew and add it to his food... [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] - i'm scared to give him less than a cup because he's already still hungry after he finishes... When we cut his food the first time that resulted in him eating the socks, :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay great maybe I'll make some of the stew and add it to his food... [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] - i'm scared to give him less than a cup because he's already still hungry after he finishes... When we cut his food the first time that resulted in him eating the socks, :(

I'm sorry, I meant to give him more than a cup total by upping the kibble to 2/3 cup and 2/3 cup gb.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
All the ingredients in the stew are high fiber. Make sure to stew it for a few hours. Sometimes we would give Vegas 2 cups of stew each meal. He's also on epilepsy medication and they cause him to forage for food. We also use the everlasting fun ball and put frozen green beans in that. He would chase that thing for a long time trying to get his treats out. A great source of exercise when trying to get them to lose weight.

The diet won't work unless you lower the calorie intake and increase the exercise. So, lower the kibble amount and make sure you take away all the treats. Frozen green beans are fabulous as a treat or to add to the stew.

Here are before and after photos of Vegas.

IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
All the ingredients in the stew are high fiber. Make sure to stew it for a few hours. Sometimes we would give Vegas 2 cups of stew each meal. He's also on epilepsy medication and they cause him to forage for food. We also use the everlasting fun ball and put frozen green beans in that. He would chase that thing for a long time trying to get his treats out. A great source of exercise when trying to get them to lose weight.

The diet won't work unless you lower the calorie intake and increase the exercise. So, lower the kibble amount and make sure you take away all the treats. Frozen green beans are fabulous as a treat or to add to the stew.

Here are before and after photos of Vegas.

View attachment 84559
View attachment 84558

Wow, look at Vegas! He looks great! Okay... so let me get this right. You would do 2 cups of stew, with just a little kibble? And green beans? We do try to exercise him the most we can. He goes on two decent length walks a day... but he's not very playful... He's an old man, lol. Its alot easier on him now bc its cool out, but it will become harder as TX summer approaches. He has already lost 5 lbs on the lower kibble + green beans! Which is great, but the boy STAYS hungry. He acts as if he's famished - lol.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yeah try just adding the stew to see if it helps fill him up. It's basically empty calories so the only problem you're going to have is it's quite messy

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah try just adding the stew to see if it helps fill him up. It's basically empty calories so the only problem you're going to have is it's quite messy

Great! Thanks so much, I will go buy the ingredients tonight and put it all in the slow cooker.... the mess I'm used too, food, water, its usually everywhere. This is perfect, empty calories is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks All!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.