Salmon DryFood/WetFood/Treat Suggestions

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Just got back from the vet, great experience, finally! I have had awful experiences up until now.

he suggested a salmon base food for frank's allergies.

I am new to this and have done some research but am not quite sure what is best for him. I'm not really concerned about price, just looking to get my boy healthy! I am currently considering Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, is this a good choice?

BUT, I don't see a wet version of this, and wet is important to me as frank gets one frozen kong daily to settle down with at night. I would need a salmon wet food to put in it.

I also need treats that will be safe for this. are there any good salmon treats?

thanks in advance for the help! Any and all advice is much appreciated right now.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
That is great that you had a better vet experience! I hope it continues because it always feels better to have a vet you feel you can trust.

Our Frank does great on Fromm's Salmon Tunalini! His coat looks great and has much less tear stains. Merrick also has some great grain-free foods, especially good varieties of canned if you are looking for wet. Fromm doesn't have as many wet varieties. Merrick also has some great grain-free treats. I know they have a couple of canned foods with salmon base, but I am not sure about what treats they have with salmon.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION]

Blue did very well on Fromms Salmon Tunalini for about 6 months, then we had to switch again. I think in our case, it wasn't the food, but mostly environmental though. So when the weather changed, his allergies flared up.

But yeah, Fromm doesn't make the wet version of it.

Here's another one that I like a lot: CANIDAE® Grain Free PURE Sea®Canned Dog Food with Salmon & Mackerel

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Fromm's is an excellent choice for dog food. As for treats, we give our guys fruit like bananas, cut up apples, blueberries, strawberries, we give them cooked green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, we give them plain unsweetened yogurt, peanut butter and hard boiled eggs. I also sometimes buy the Wellness soft chew treats, Fruitables and Benny Bully dried liver snacks, which they both love.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
these are all great suggestions! thank you so much. I haven't tried any fruits or veggies as treats, I am so excited to see how frank will react.

[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] is it okay to use the fromm dry food, and then also use a merrick or a canidea brand we food at the same time? or should I stick to one brand.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
these are all great suggestions! thank you so much. I haven't tried any fruits or veggies as treats, I am so excited to see how frank will react.

@Biogirl71 and @nycbullymama is it okay to use the fromm dry food, and then also use a merrick or a canidea brand we food at the same time? or should I stick to one brand.

No. It's going to upset his tummy. That's why when switching between brands, you always do a very slow transition. Also, if you're trying to find out what he's allergic to, you really want to stick with one brand and not overload him with too many ingredients since you really don't know what's causing it.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] Not sure if this would work (perhaps I misunderstand the frozen kong thing?!), but if you soak the kibble in hot water, could you then freeze it for Frank's kong?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION], if you cannot find a good canned salmon dog food how about getting some good quality canned salmon itself and putting a little bit on Frank's kibble? i do this often, alternating with canned mackerel/canned salmon.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
just wanted to update and thank everyone again for the advice.

I ended up going with canidae salmon and mackerel dry food, wet food, and treats! I ordered a 24lb bag, 12 cans of wet food and a bag of treats, so you can imagine I was a bit suprised when TWO bags of dry food and TWO bags of treats showed up on my doorstep. I called the company and they said to keep it, on them! I am satisfied so far. I just hope the food works out as I now have so much of it lol. No real changes in Frank yet since we are doing a slow transition. I have to say the salmon and mackerel wet food smells quite fishy and I do not enjoy puppy kisses after frank has his frozen kong. But that is the price we pay I guess! I've also added in a spoonful of plain yogurt daily. and am adding apple cider vin to his water each day. now just looking for a chicken-free joint supplement!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Just got back from the vet, great experience, finally! I have had awful experiences up until now.

he suggested a salmon base food for frank's allergies.

I am new to this and have done some research but am not quite sure what is best for him. I'm not really concerned about price, just looking to get my boy healthy! I am currently considering Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, is this a good choice?

BUT, I don't see a wet version of this, and wet is important to me as frank gets one frozen kong daily to settle down with at night. I would need a salmon wet food to put in it.

I also need treats that will be safe for this. are there any good salmon treats?

thanks in advance for the help! Any and all advice is much appreciated right now.

Not sure how economical this option might be but I found this online...I'm not sure about the website credibility but it might be interesting to check out: Homemade Joint & Arthritis Supplement Treats for Dogs | All Natural Pet Care Blog
Seafood Joint Supplement Recipe
© Formulated by AllNaturalPetCare.com
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour or flour substitute
3/4 c rolled oats
1 c canned, mashed or pureed 100% pure (unseasoned) pumpkin
3/4 c plain active yogurt
1 can finely chopped or pureed unseasoned sardines packed in water (drained)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP flaked seaweed or 3 TBSP finely chopped fresh seaweed.
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp calcium montmorillonite clay
2 TBSP freeze-dried krill
Dash of turmeric
Dash of sea salt
1/4 c finely chopped mustard or turnip greens
Optional: 4 Perna canaliculus (Green-lipped Mussel) capsules (open capsules and pour powder into mixture).
Calcium_Montmorillonite_Clay-Pet_Home_Remedies.jpg
Preheat oven: 375F
Mix rolled oats & flour together.
Add remaining ingredients & blend.
Knead dough & roll to about 1/4 inch thick (add flour if dough is too sticky). Cut into 1-1.5″ pieces and place on greased cookie sheet.
Bake until golden brown (about 25 minutes).
Feed one treat per day. Freezes well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.