General Question Testing for allergies........

Jiggz

Jan 24, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
What's up folks, I'm a new comer to the bulldog community in fact I don't pick up my new boy "Hemi" until Valentines weekend. I love that in my infinite research I stumble upon this great forum. So to get to the point, I am wonder is there a way to test for allergies before having to find out the hard way. My plan is to feed a raw diet from the start and continue as long as its working for Hemi. I just don't want to feed something that's gonna cost me a vet visit if I can have him tested at the beginning and eliminate the guessing. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments

• 20150120_212156.jpg
    20150120_212156.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 133

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sadly there is no one stop 100% accurate allergy test out there for food allergies. They blood, hair and saliva can give an idea but even then they can be wrong. Trial and error is usually the best course.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Agreed… trial and error is about the only way when it comes to food.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13591]Jiggz[/MENTION] - Welcome to the bully life! ^^^ Agreed with gang above^^^ nothing is 100% & environmental is something you will never cure, just control as best possible - also if you are going to have him tested, its best to wait until he's a bit older, bc at such a young age, results may not be that accurate!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You can't test for allergies until they're at least a year and a half old. Reason being is you need to give them immune system a chance to develop and be exposed to all the seasons and various allergens in those seasons.
My vet recommended to wait until two, but we had it done when he was 1.5 since he already had terrible allergies.

Like the other have said, there is no accurate allergy test for food. It's all trial and error. If you plan on feeding a raw diet, you should check out this forum for some great info.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/raw-feeding-for-english-bulldogs/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.