Switched to Fromms now issues.....

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
My 4 year old female (retired from breeding) was on Purina Pro Plan Savor Chicken when i got her from the breeder. The breeder explained that she had tried various brands of food and the pro plan savor was the best for all her bullies in terms of coat and such. I decided to try to get her on a better quality of food, so after much research i decided on the Fromms 4 star grain free. I transitioned over 4 weeks to the beef fritata and now 21/2 months later she is getting thinning hair on her back either side of her spine. there is still some hair on the spots but it is thin enough that you can clearly see the areas and the skin beneath. I spoke to the vets office and the vet assistant said it could be from the change in diet and may correct itself, but to keep an eye on it. The breeder i got her from said it was definitely from the food and to get her back on the Pro Plan. I am at a crossroads on what to do, the Fromms is so much healthier and better quality that the Purina but i want what is best for my dog. I have tried the other protein flavors of the Fromms such as Lamb & Lentil, Gamebird and currently Pork & Peas. the only one that seemed to disagree with her was the game bird and that seemed to make her go to the bathroom much more frequently and she seemed to be itchy on it. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I hate to see her with these patches but i want her to be on the best and healthiest food for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post a picture of the spots you are talking about?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is unusual but perhaps something in Fromm doesn't agree with her. Either that, or her skin and coat are going through a huge detox.

I know you want what is best for her, but if her appearance doesn't improve in a couple of weeks I say go back to the purina and see if it is the food. Sometimes they just do better on different food- it's unusual but it does happen. If you do have to go back to the purina and want to give her extra nutrition to make sure she gets what she needs you can always supplement with a great mineral and vitamin combo like Nuvet.

She could also be blowing her coat, so that is why I would stick with it a couple more weeks (as long as she is not itchy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
flex585

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
Can you post a picture of the spots you are talking about?

not very good pictures but here ya go....

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

OP
flex585

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
hmm... has the vet done a skin scrape?

Prior to switching food, he did a complete check up including a skin scrape, she had an ear infection at that time, he had suggested the food switch but recommended Royal Canin Bulldog ( i had my last bullied on that) but as i said after research i chose the Fromm. Back to the skin scrape, all test results came back good with no problems except the ear infection, her coat was perfect at that time though, only thing that changed was the food since then. When i had her on the Fromm Gamebird, she seemed itchy, she would eat then maybe 20 minutes to a half hour later she would roll around on the floor and her bed as if she was scratching her self. that behavior stopped when i took her off the game bird flavor. she exhibits no signs of itchiness now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Looks like a form of dermatitis, what were you given for the ear infection? Sometimes medications can cause the skin issues. Example: antibiotics can kill good skin bacteria that will turn into a skin or yeast issue after the medication is done.

OP
flex585

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
Looks like a form of dermatitis, what were you given for the ear infection? Sometimes medications can cause the skin issues. Example: antibiotics can kill good skin bacteria that will turn into a skin or yeast issue after the medication is done.

he gave her a shot (cortisone?) then she was on some pills that we tapered her on and tapered her off of (can't remember the name) and she is still doing the weekly ear drops (Trizultra + Keto w/Dex & Baytril 4oz.) he said to keep doing that medicine weekly or as we see needed. We also do a monthly ear flush with Oti-Clens.

She did have a still born litter back in end september/early october before we got her, i have been told that they sometimes will blow out their coat after giving birth, but the consensus was that being the pups were still born, she might not blow out her coat, she was spayed after that birth, not sure any of that has much to do with any of this or if it has been too long to be related.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
he gave her a shot (cortisone?) then she was on some pills that we tapered her on and tapered her off of (can't remember the name) and she is still doing the weekly ear drops (Trizultra + Keto w/Dex & Baytril 4oz.) he said to keep doing that medicine weekly or as we see needed. We also do a monthly ear flush with Oti-Clens.

She did have a still born litter back in end september/early october before we got her, i have been told that they sometimes will blow out their coat after giving birth, but the consensus was that being the pups were still born, she might not blow out her coat, she was spayed after that birth, not sure any of that has much to do with any of this or if it has been too long to be related.

Oh yes- it can certainly be related. Maybe even more than usual than one who had a litter. Stress is a major factor and her body went through a huge amount of it, along with hormonal changes like crazy. Between being pregnant and then getting spayed, I would say the time frame is about right too for her to show some imbalances.

Plus an ear infection on top of all that. Poor girl!

I doubt this is food related, but it could be. I would have the vet look at the patches if they don't improve in the next week.

OP
flex585

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
Oh yes- it can certainly be related. Maybe even more than usual than one who had a litter. Stress is a major factor and her body went through a huge amount of it, along with hormonal changes like crazy. Between being pregnant and then getting spayed, I would say the time frame is about right too for her to show some imbalances.

Plus an ear infection on top of all that. Poor girl!

I doubt this is food related, but it could be. I would have the vet look at the patches if they don't improve in the next week.

Just got off the phone with the Vet, have an appointment tomorrow at 10:45am. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about and just something that time will take care of, she is such a sweet girl, i just want her to be happy and healthy, she is very spoiled in our home!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got off the phone with the Vet, have an appointment tomorrow at 10:45am. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about and just something that time will take care of, she is such a sweet girl, i just want her to be happy and healthy, she is very spoiled in our home!

Let us know how the appointment goes, she is a beautiful and very lucky girl to be in your family!

OP
flex585

flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
UPDATE: the vet saw Opie today and said it is SFA (seasonal Flank Alopecia) he recommended Melatonin and said it should clear once we get some sun up here in the gray dreary Northeast. He said it is definately not food and to keep her on Fromm. So tonight we start 5mg Melatonin every night till April and hopefully it works.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: the vet saw Opie today and said it is SFA (seasonal Flank Alopecia) he recommended Melatonin and said it should clear once we get some sun up here in the gray dreary Northeast. He said it is definately not food and to keep her on Fromm. So tonight we start 5mg Melatonin every night till April and hopefully it works.

good to hear.... keep us posted as that sun starts to show up again ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad to hear it, keep us posted on her progress!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.