UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

Look into 'The Honest Kitchen' and call their customer service line -- they will help you if you want to use the food.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Wasn't Pepper diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria as well and you are feeding her vegan diet? I saw in some of your posts that Peppers pH was more than 8. Did you take her to a vet after that and did they diagnose UTI?

Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
pepper hasn't been diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria, but she did have surgery 2 yrs ago for Urate and Stuvite stones. Not sure what caused that but she has been fighting UTI's for 3 years now. The Vet I take her to I don't believe knows anything about bulldogs and some of there health issues. When she has blood in her urine I just get a Urine test which is determined is a UTI and then prescribed a round of antibiotics. I've read that getting her PH close to 7.0 would help with the stone issues which so far on this vegan food as done that but hasn't helped the UTI issue. If she does have Hyperuricosuria would that cause the UTI battle I'm having?

Wasn't Pepper diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria as well and you are feeding her vegan diet? I saw in some of your posts that Peppers pH was more than 8. Did you take her to a vet after that and did they diagnose UTI?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Urate crystals and stones form only cause of hyperuricosuria or a liver shunt. Liver shunt is common in very small breeds, not bulldogs and after two years there would be other more serious symptoms as well. Hyperuricosuria is common in bulldogs and quite a few other breeds. Since urates are formed in acidic urine balancing urine pH around 7 will prevent them forming. Struvites on the other hand are formed in alkaline urine, so if the pH raises too much your bully gets struvites. Infection raises urine pH so that it why struvites often form with UTI. Also too alkaline urine cause of diet can cause the pH to raise and struvites form, without infection. If there is crystals and stones present they can also irritate the bladder and cause infection. Are you giving her pro- and prebiotics?

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
I usually give her either Kefer or Yogurt 2-3 times a week. Do you suggest something different? I really hate having to go through the UTI's every 2-3 months.. On a side note the Vegan food she is eating her PH usually stays within 6.7-7 daily.

Urate crystals and stones form only cause of hyperuricosuria or a liver shunt. Liver shunt is common in very small breeds, not bulldogs and after two years there would be other more serious symptoms as well. Hyperuricosuria is common in bulldogs and quite a few other breeds. Since urates are formed in acidic urine balancing urine pH around 7 will prevent them forming. Struvites on the other hand are formed in alkaline urine, so if the pH raises too much your bully gets struvites. Infection raises urine pH so that it why struvites often form with UTI. Also too alkaline urine cause of diet can cause the pH to raise and struvites form, without infection. If there is crystals and stones present they can also irritate the bladder and cause infection. Are you giving her pro- and prebiotics?

chengpeter12

Nov 17, 2014
Charleston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA & ROXANNE
I was reading your article concerning your dogs UTI issue. Our Lola turns six months tomorrow and she has been battling a UTI. She just finsihed her first round of medicine, which did not correct the issue. My GF took her back to the VET and they gave her more medicine and are running another urine test. We feed her Fromm's and based on the thread I'm starting to wonder about her food. We give her probiotc and yogurt daily, so we aren't sure what is going on. I hope your dog get better. I'm going to order a PH meter and check her urine to see what levels it is.

Thunder

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LulaBelle
I just started reading this thread. My dog suffers from urate crystals. She is currently eating Royal Canin Urinary UC. She still has crystals but better than when she eats normal food. She sheds EXTREMELY bad too. I just started giving her coconut oil. Do you have any suggestion? Better food?? Thanks!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you check her urine pH? Do you give her any medicine? Has the vet told you why she has urate crystals? RC is not not good food.

I just started reading this thread. My dog suffers from urate crystals. She is currently eating Royal Canin Urinary UC. She still has crystals but better than when she eats normal food. She sheds EXTREMELY bad too. I just started giving her coconut oil. Do you have any suggestion? Better food?? Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was reading your article concerning your dogs UTI issue. Our Lola turns six months tomorrow and she has been battling a UTI. She just finsihed her first round of medicine, which did not correct the issue. My GF took her back to the VET and they gave her more medicine and are running another urine test. We feed her Fromm's and based on the thread I'm starting to wonder about her food. We give her probiotc and yogurt daily, so we aren't sure what is going on. I hope your dog get better. I'm going to order a PH meter and check her urine to see what levels it is.

You may want to look into raw or The Honest Kitchen foods to level the ph with your babies..... Honest Kitchen, if you call them and discuss the issues the customer service team will guide you on which product is best fro your baby

chengpeter12

Nov 17, 2014
Charleston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA & ROXANNE
Thanks she finally cleared her UTI and we were able to get her spayed, she hasn't been feeling good the last day so we are taking her to the VET @ noon. I'll check out honest kitchen, thanks for the advice.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks she finally cleared her UTI and we were able to get her spayed, she hasn't been feeling good the last day so we are taking her to the VET @ noon. I'll check out honest kitchen, thanks for the advice.

Glad everything worked out! Hoping the current issue is nothing serious!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online