UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I've posted several times about Penny dealing with recurrent UTI's. Long story, but will try to condense it...She's had recurrent UTI's for a year. We moved and have a new vet as of May. She had a UTI in May, October, November, & now. At Thanksgiving when she had the last one our vet did an x-ray which showed no stones. After some discussion (one being a change to prescription food), he decided we would try a supplement, DL-Methionine, which is to lower pH & prevent formation of crystals. So, we did a whammy of antibiotic treatment (3 weeks) & started the supplement. He wanted urine analysis 3 weeks after being of antibiotic & on supplement only. So, I took it in last week & she has a UTI again & still making crystals....Scheduled an abdominal ultrasound for today. Thankfully, everything came back normal.

So, we are going to continue finish this antibiotic and continue supplement and urine analysis one week after finishing meds to make sure it's gone with a few environmental changes (wiping her each time she comes in, etc.). I'm not optimistic about this helping since she has been on the supplement since Thanksgiving. He mentioned the diet change again to my husband.

I'm wondering if there isn't a food I could look to switch her to that would help w struvite formation? She is currently on Earthborne Holistic Meadow Feast. I am finding conflicting conflicting information on protein levels and urine pH.

Does anyone have any experience w this? I don't even know what I would begin to change her to. Or, any other suggestions? She is also getting a probiotic and coconut oil daily. Free access to water, goes out often, etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... what a visious circle! Have you looked into The Honest Kitchen... call their customer service line tell them the issue/needs and they can help point you to the best option. ONly other option i can think of is going raw -- Stella/Chewy or NVI patties

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This was something I read on the internet-------To prevent the re-occurrence of struvites itā€™s recommended to do the following:

-Closely monitor your dogā€™s urinary pH to detect UTIs (dogs should have a pH of between 5.5 and 7.0).
-Supplement with cranberry capsules. Compounds found in cranberries help to prevent bacteria from attaching to the tissue that lines the bladder and urinary tract.
-Supplement with probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria. A healthy population of beneficial bacteria in the dogā€™s system will help to combat any unhealthy bacteria (such as the bacteria that causes UTIs).
-Vitamin C is often recommended for dogs prone to UTIs due to its antiiinflammatory properties.
-Uva Ursi is an herb often used to treat UTIs due to its anti-bacteria properties. It should only be used intermittently for short periods of time.

Some people have had success keeping the urine acidic, which helps prevent these crystals from forming, by feeding acidic foods and avoiding alkaline foods. A raw, natural diet is high in acidic foods.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
UGH.... what a visious circle! Have you looked into The Honest Kitchen... call their customer service line tell them the issue/needs and they can help point you to the best option. ONly other option i can think of is going raw -- Stella/Chewy or NVI patties

I have not - I will check into these options. & thanks for the suggestion to call. I'm getting overwhelmed trying to research.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
This was something I read on the internet-------To prevent the re-occurrence of struvites itā€™s recommended to do the following:

-Closely monitor your dogā€™s urinary pH to detect UTIs (dogs should have a pH of between 5.5 and 7.0).
-Supplement with cranberry capsules. Compounds found in cranberries help to prevent bacteria from attaching to the tissue that lines the bladder and urinary tract.
-Supplement with probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria. A healthy population of beneficial bacteria in the dogā€™s system will help to combat any unhealthy bacteria (such as the bacteria that causes UTIs).
-Vitamin C is often recommended for dogs prone to UTIs due to its antiiinflammatory properties.
-Uva Ursi is an herb often used to treat UTIs due to its anti-bacteria properties. It should only be used intermittently for short periods of time.

Some people have had success keeping the urine acidic, which helps prevent these crystals from forming, by feeding acidic foods and avoiding alkaline foods. A raw, natural diet is high in acidic foods.

Thanks for your help! I did read this, too. We're doing probiotics & our vet said the DL-Methionine is better than the Vitamin C bc they process the Vit C so quickly.

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
My 4 yr old female also suffers from recurring UTIs and has had bladder surgery to remove urate and striving stones. I've tried everything from 5 star kibble to raw to home cooked etc...so far the only food I've been able to get ur PH at 6.7 -7.0 constantly is vegetarian dog food. Currently Natures Recipe. I am actually switching to V-Dog vegan food tomorrow which I'm confident will give her neutral PH as well. I'll update you of her PH status this week to let you know.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
My 4 yr old female also suffers from recurring UTIs and has had bladder surgery to remove urate and striving stones. I've tried everything from 5 star kibble to raw to home cooked etc...so far the only food I've been able to get ur PH at 6.7 -7.0 constantly is vegetarian dog food. Currently Natures Recipe. I am actually switching to V-Dog vegan food tomorrow which I'm confident will give her neutral PH as well. I'll update you of her PH status this week to let you know.

Thanks! Yes, please keep me updated. I would love to know how she does. We are heading back to the vet today with vomiting and hives....it's been a rough go the last few months. I feel so bad for her. :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[MENTION=13294]icyjay[/MENTION] [MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] Your bullys have not the same condition, but the opposite.
Struvite crystals are formed in alkaline urine and urates are formed in acidic urine and the proper treatment is the opposite from the other. Urate forming dog has eather gene defect or a liver shunt. Bullys hardly ever have liver shunts, but unfortunately the gene defect is more common with bullys than in other breeds except for Dalmatians. All Dalmatians carry two copies of the huu mutation, meaning that within the purebred Dalmatian population, there is no way to breed dogs without this predisposition. Their urine pH tends to lower to 5 and it's very important to bring that up to about 7. Baking soda will bring it up and low protein food. Low protein food can cause other problems though.

Struvite stones can be caused by alkaline urine, steroid therapy, abnormal retention of urine, a urinary tract infection, or another disorder of the urinary tract. To lower urine pH you must feed your pet a low-carb, grain-free, potato-free, species-appropriate diet. When dogs that are designed to eat meat are fed a grain-based diet or a starch-rich diet, the starch alkalizes urine pH, which can lead to the development of struvite crystals and stones. Cranberry and vitamin C are acidic and there's some medicine that does that as well, but it's only medical purpose is lowering the pH and that can be done by proper food.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION], I sent you a private message. Did you get it? It's not showing up in my "sent" box. Thanks!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

My girl had one Uti so far and was put on Royal Canin for a few weeks and antibiotics.She's not had one since.I wipe her after every potty break and put Apple Cider Vinegar in her water. I would never do the Royal Canin again after reading the ingredients ( just my opinion). Does your bully have a lot of excess skin around her vulva? Mine does and my vet said if she kept having them she may need a tuck.

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
So far I've had Pepper on a vegeterian diet, first Nature Recipe and now V-Dog and she has done great. Her PH on a meat based dog food was always below 6.0 usually around 5.4-5.6. Since the change her PH is always around 7.0. I check first thing in the morning before she eats with a digital PH meter I purchased online. Since the switch no UTI's to date. Again she had surgery 2 yrs ago for Urate stones with some struvites also. So far so good here..

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
Oh well...pepper had blood in her urine this morning. Ph was 8.3. Another round of antibiotics it appears...this is so frustrating

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
I am currently going through the same thing with Brynnlee - we are on the last week of two different doses of Amoxicillan and she finished her Dexamethasone for inflammation. Vet is going to recheck urine next week and then do ultra sound to check for stones - hoping no surgery, but I did have to switch her from Fromm to Royal Canine Urinary Healthy - Vet prescription food. So far her urine looks a million times better, but maybe the vet has a prescription food specifically for PH and Urinary health?

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online