Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27

Thread: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

  1. #13
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    33
    Bulldog(s) Names
    pepper
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Oh well...pepper had blood in her urine this morning. Ph was 8.3. Another round of antibiotics it appears...this is so frustrating

  2. #14
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    I am currently going through the same thing with Brynnlee - we are on the last week of two different doses of Amoxicillan and she finished her Dexamethasone for inflammation. Vet is going to recheck urine next week and then do ultra sound to check for stones - hoping no surgery, but I did have to switch her from Fromm to Royal Canine Urinary Healthy - Vet prescription food. So far her urine looks a million times better, but maybe the vet has a prescription food specifically for PH and Urinary health?

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  3. #15
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    33
    Bulldog(s) Names
    pepper
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

  4. #16
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,190
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11528

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by icyjay View Post
    Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

    Look into 'The Honest Kitchen' and call their customer service line -- they will help you if you want to use the food.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  5. #17
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Wasn't Pepper diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria as well and you are feeding her vegan diet? I saw in some of your posts that Peppers pH was more than 8. Did you take her to a vet after that and did they diagnose UTI?


    Quote Originally Posted by icyjay View Post
    Let me know how that food works out for the UTI's, My vet prescribed science diet prescription food awhile back but Pepper wouldn't eat it.

  6. #18
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    33
    Bulldog(s) Names
    pepper
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    pepper hasn't been diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria, but she did have surgery 2 yrs ago for Urate and Stuvite stones. Not sure what caused that but she has been fighting UTI's for 3 years now. The Vet I take her to I don't believe knows anything about bulldogs and some of there health issues. When she has blood in her urine I just get a Urine test which is determined is a UTI and then prescribed a round of antibiotics. I've read that getting her PH close to 7.0 would help with the stone issues which so far on this vegan food as done that but hasn't helped the UTI issue. If she does have Hyperuricosuria would that cause the UTI battle I'm having?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Wasn't Pepper diagnosed with Hyperuricosuria as well and you are feeding her vegan diet? I saw in some of your posts that Peppers pH was more than 8. Did you take her to a vet after that and did they diagnose UTI?

  7. #19
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Urate crystals and stones form only cause of hyperuricosuria or a liver shunt. Liver shunt is common in very small breeds, not bulldogs and after two years there would be other more serious symptoms as well. Hyperuricosuria is common in bulldogs and quite a few other breeds. Since urates are formed in acidic urine balancing urine pH around 7 will prevent them forming. Struvites on the other hand are formed in alkaline urine, so if the pH raises too much your bully gets struvites. Infection raises urine pH so that it why struvites often form with UTI. Also too alkaline urine cause of diet can cause the pH to raise and struvites form, without infection. If there is crystals and stones present they can also irritate the bladder and cause infection. Are you giving her pro- and prebiotics?

  8. #20
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    33
    Bulldog(s) Names
    pepper
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    I usually give her either Kefer or Yogurt 2-3 times a week. Do you suggest something different? I really hate having to go through the UTI's every 2-3 months.. On a side note the Vegan food she is eating her PH usually stays within 6.7-7 daily.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Urate crystals and stones form only cause of hyperuricosuria or a liver shunt. Liver shunt is common in very small breeds, not bulldogs and after two years there would be other more serious symptoms as well. Hyperuricosuria is common in bulldogs and quite a few other breeds. Since urates are formed in acidic urine balancing urine pH around 7 will prevent them forming. Struvites on the other hand are formed in alkaline urine, so if the pH raises too much your bully gets struvites. Infection raises urine pH so that it why struvites often form with UTI. Also too alkaline urine cause of diet can cause the pH to raise and struvites form, without infection. If there is crystals and stones present they can also irritate the bladder and cause infection. Are you giving her pro- and prebiotics?

  9. #21
    Newbie chengpeter12's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    11
    Bulldog(s) Names
    LOLA & ROXANNE
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    I was reading your article concerning your dogs UTI issue. Our Lola turns six months tomorrow and she has been battling a UTI. She just finsihed her first round of medicine, which did not correct the issue. My GF took her back to the VET and they gave her more medicine and are running another urine test. We feed her Fromm's and based on the thread I'm starting to wonder about her food. We give her probiotc and yogurt daily, so we aren't sure what is going on. I hope your dog get better. I'm going to order a PH meter and check her urine to see what levels it is.

  10. #22
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Bulldog(s) Names
    LulaBelle
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    I just started reading this thread. My dog suffers from urate crystals. She is currently eating Royal Canin Urinary UC. She still has crystals but better than when she eats normal food. She sheds EXTREMELY bad too. I just started giving her coconut oil. Do you have any suggestion? Better food?? Thanks!

  11. #23
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Do you check her urine pH? Do you give her any medicine? Has the vet told you why she has urate crystals? RC is not not good food.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I just started reading this thread. My dog suffers from urate crystals. She is currently eating Royal Canin Urinary UC. She still has crystals but better than when she eats normal food. She sheds EXTREMELY bad too. I just started giving her coconut oil. Do you have any suggestion? Better food?? Thanks!

  12. #24
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,190
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11528

    Default Re: UTI's, Struvite Crystals, & Diet...Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by chengpeter12 View Post
    I was reading your article concerning your dogs UTI issue. Our Lola turns six months tomorrow and she has been battling a UTI. She just finsihed her first round of medicine, which did not correct the issue. My GF took her back to the VET and they gave her more medicine and are running another urine test. We feed her Fromm's and based on the thread I'm starting to wonder about her food. We give her probiotc and yogurt daily, so we aren't sure what is going on. I hope your dog get better. I'm going to order a PH meter and check her urine to see what levels it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I just started reading this thread. My dog suffers from urate crystals. She is currently eating Royal Canin Urinary UC. She still has crystals but better than when she eats normal food. She sheds EXTREMELY bad too. I just started giving her coconut oil. Do you have any suggestion? Better food?? Thanks!

    You may want to look into raw or The Honest Kitchen foods to level the ph with your babies..... Honest Kitchen, if you call them and discuss the issues the customer service team will guide you on which product is best fro your baby
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  13. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •