Nutrisca Chicken & Chickpeas causing excessive drooling???

bullie mom

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie & Memphis Sammy (RIP after 13 good years)
I recently switched both of my bullies over to Nutrisca Chicken & Chickpeas food as their previous food was discountinued (Source Turkey & Peas). My younger boy, Memphis, is allergic to just about everything (according to many allergy tests) and this is one of the few foods that I've found that doesn't upset his fragile system. He's doing great on it. The problem is my girl, Roxie. She is 6 and has a cast iron stomach. Nothing has ever seemed to bother her in the past. But I've begun to notice her sitting and licking the air repeatedly along with having copious amounts of watery saliva dripping from her lips. This seems to happen about 1 1/2 - 2 hours after eating. She hasn't vomited or had any diarrhea, just this odd repeated licking and drooling. Her water intake is also normal. I know Memphis has had a lot of stomach issues in the past that had these same symptoms. A cimetidine tablet helped him tremendously. I gave her 1 cimetidine today as she just was licking and drooling everywhere. After about 20 minutes, she was fine. The only difference in this food vs. all of the others we've fed them previously in that the Nutrisca has a higher protein level. Could that be causing the problems for her stomach? Advice or should I just look for something with a lower protein content?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow, I suppose it certainly could be the food, but the symptoms almost sound neurological. I would certainly try something else to see if there is any changes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree -- it definitely could be the issue... I would go bland diet for a couple days and see if it stops, it yes then you have your answer. With all the allergies your boy has... have you looked into The Honest Kitchen food? You add your own protein to the mix -- take a look it might be a good answer to both issues.

OP
bullie mom

bullie mom

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd love to try a different food for Memphis, but he's allergic to sweet potatoes, barley, kelp, rice, corn, lamb, pork, and beet pulp. So you can see my limited options. I did just receive the results of a more comprehensive allergy test and apparently he's NOT allergic to white potatoes, so I may be able to switch him to something else with a lower protein level.

In the meantime, I fed Roxie half of her regular amount of food for the last few feedings mixed with some raw pumpkin to add more fiber. No more drooling or air licking. So maybe the theory that she needs a lower protein/higher fiber mix is on the right idea. So now the search begins for something different.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'd love to try a different food for Memphis, but he's allergic to sweet potatoes, barley, kelp, rice, corn, lamb, pork, and beet pulp. So you can see my limited options. I did just receive the results of a more comprehensive allergy test and apparently he's NOT allergic to white potatoes, so I may be able to switch him to something else with a lower protein level.

In the meantime, I fed Roxie half of her regular amount of food for the last few feedings mixed with some raw pumpkin to add more fiber. No more drooling or air licking. So maybe the theory that she needs a lower protein/higher fiber mix is on the right idea. So now the search begins for something different.

Hope you find something that work better, keep is posted on how she's doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Best of luck.... still look in to The Honest Kitchen - if you call and tell them the allergies they will let you know if there is a choice for you with them

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I recently switched both of my bullies over to Nutrisca Chicken & Chickpeas food as their previous food was discountinued (Source Turkey & Peas). My younger boy, Memphis, is allergic to just about everything (according to many allergy tests) and this is one of the few foods that I've found that doesn't upset his fragile system. He's doing great on it. The problem is my girl, Roxie. She is 6 and has a cast iron stomach. Nothing has ever seemed to bother her in the past. But I've begun to notice her sitting and licking the air repeatedly along with having copious amounts of watery saliva dripping from her lips. This seems to happen about 1 1/2 - 2 hours after eating. She hasn't vomited or had any diarrhea, just this odd repeated licking and drooling. Her water intake is also normal. I know Memphis has had a lot of stomach issues in the past that had these same symptoms. A cimetidine tablet helped him tremendously. I gave her 1 cimetidine today as she just was licking and drooling everywhere. After about 20 minutes, she was fine. The only difference in this food vs. all of the others we've fed them previously in that the Nutrisca has a higher protein level. Could that be causing the problems for her stomach? Advice or should I just look for something with a lower protein content?

I have the same problem with Charley. I was just about to take him to the vet again, but decided to give him a Pepcid at breakfast and NO coconut oil. So far so good. No drooling today at all. I wonder if the new food is just too high fat for Roxie. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Roxie doing? Did you change her food away from Nutrisca? I just might have made the mistake yesterday of buying Dogwell's other line, Live Free, for Charley. It has prebiotics and probiotics so it is supposed to be good for digestion. It is high in protein and grain free. I'm giving him 1/4 cup of this, plus 3/4 cup of his Acana for the next few days. We'll see.

Has anyone else used this new Live Free food from Dogswell?

OP
bullie mom

bullie mom

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Roxie doing? Did you change her food away from Nutrisca? I just might have made the mistake yesterday of buying Dogwell's other line, Live Free, for Charley. It has prebiotics and probiotics so it is supposed to be good for digestion. It is high in protein and grain free. I'm giving him 1/4 cup of this, plus 3/4 cup of his Acana for the next few days. We'll see.

Has anyone else used this new Live Free food from Dogswell?

I ended up switching both dogs over to Nutri-Source grain free seafood formula last Friday. It's lower protein & a little higher in fiber. I'm taking the switch slowly since its a different protein source, but so far Roxie seems to be doing good on it. No drooling & no need for the Cimetidine for either dog. Memphis has been a little gassy but not any more than usual.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I ended up switching both dogs over to Nutri-Source grain free seafood formula last Friday. It's lower protein & a little higher in fiber. I'm taking the switch slowly since its a different protein source, but so far Roxie seems to be doing good on it. No drooling & no need for the Cimetidine for either dog. Memphis has been a little gassy but not any more than usual.

It wasn't a mistake to change Charley from Acana to Dogswell Live Free food. He no longer excessively drools and now has the energy of a puppy! He's 6 and plays with his indoor jolly ball as much as we allow. He's looking shiny, trim and muscular. What a huge difference! Happy boy, happy dog mom!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So happy for both of y'all and your beloved bullies!

Thank y'all for detailing their symptoms then reporting
back to EBN'ers, so helpful...GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.