is my dog too skinny

mommymystro

Sep 25, 2010
ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Mystro
i have a 7 month old bulldog who is 35 lbs. he has only gained 2 lbs in the last two and a half weeks. .. i am feeding him a cup DSCF0878.jpgthree times a day. i have him on wellness simple lamb and rice . is this a good weight .should he be gaining more rapidly,.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
This is my first Bullie but he looks fine to me.
He's not showing ribs, and you are feeding him
3 cups a day. What kind of food is he on,and what
is the recommended daily serving?

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Is he very active? He actually looks very healthy. As cute as bulldogs are chubby it does put extra stress on their joints. Since there are no ribs or spine showing, visible muscle tone and a nice tucked tummy I'd say he looks very good.

I have a 2 year old female that I battle with keeping weight on often. She's on the same amount of food, 3 cups per day. But she's VERY active and burns off most of what she eats.

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
just making sure that theres no ribs showing is a good thing but also get them checkd by vet for any illneses but his pic looks great so i wouldnt worry much. I dont like keeping my girl fat unlike many ive seen in town, just way overweight dogs like thats how theire supposed to be but not good for joints or health in general. I also breed snakes and alot of people like to power feed them as well but i stick to keeping them healthy as being over weight shortens their lives.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
A lot of whether you are feeding too much or too little cant be judged by the quantity because foods vary so much. Usually the better foods require less quantity to give proper nutrition. What food are you feeding? Here on EBN there is a rating chart where you can look up your food to see how it is rated compared to other foods.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] [MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] It says: wellness simple lamb and rice

I don't know anything about that food. I think wellness it's rated high, right?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
the Wellness Simple solutions that were tested were rated 4 on the 1 to 6 scale so thats pretty good. Your particular formula was not tested. Wellness has other formulas that are higher rated but none lower. I guess that would indicate a quality product is produced by them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think he looks just right, he has a nice curve and defined waist, no ribs showing. He just may be small for a boy, if he is only 35lbs at 7 months. But you will know more when he is about 10 months he should weigh about 45 lbs.

I would not try to put access weight on him. Many bulldog owners assume their bulldog should be fat, and once they realize they have to take some of the weight off, it is very difficult to do so.

I would just keep him on the diet he is on, as a matter of fact, you may want to start cutting back his food here pretty soon.

HarlowandBoris

Jan 19, 2011
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlow and Boris
Our first 2 bulldogs went through lanky stanges during their growth. He looks good to me. I wouldn't be concerned unless he goes for a month with no weight gain.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
He looks good and growing should slow down a little as they get older. Just continue to feed him and monitor. Not all bullies are huge chunky babies. If he stops gaining or starts losing, then worry. Please Please keep us updated. A lot of members here will have insight if he reverses.

Right now enjoy you little guy, I think he is adorable.

OP
mommymystro

mommymystro

Sep 25, 2010
ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Mystro
thanks everybody for your opinions. .i was just a little concerned cause he has only gained 4 pounds this month, and thought he should be gaining more that that . his father is a very husky guy at 78 pounds . he is a very active little guy but also sleeps alot too..

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=1256]mommymystro[/MENTION] Welcome to the board! My bully is 11 months and about 45 pounds, he also gets 1 1/2 C twice a day and is on a high rated food. He doesn't get alot of excercise maybe 20 minutes total a day and he is muscular. As long as you don't see ribs he should be fine but double check with your vet.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
My girls are eight months old and I wish they weren't so chunky! I think your boy looks great! I give my girls a cup of food twice a day, I quit doing three feedings at about 3 months old with them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome [MENTION=1256]mommymystro[/MENTION] I think he looks adora-bull in his photo and as everybody else has said - there is no sign of ribs, he seems to have a defined shape and looks healthy. What food is he on? You can go to the link for food dog ratings to see where each food is.

Maggie is 3 and a little butterball at 35lbs - she is a perfect weight for her. Daddy will be 6 months soon, and is 36lb but he is all long and lean with lanky legs and huge paws! :crazy: We've currently got him on 1 3/4 cups of Fromm twice a day with added yogurt, shredded carrot, frozen blueberries, frozen green beans, banana, cucumber chunks and baby carrots either given to him as a topping to his Fromm or as treats.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.