Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is my dog too skinny

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mystro
    Likes (Received)

Default is my dog too skinny

i have a 7 month old bulldog who is 35 lbs. he has only gained 2 lbs in the last two and a half weeks. .. i am feeding him a cup -dscf0878-jpgthree times a day. i have him on wellness simple lamb and rice . is this a good weight .should he be gaining more rapidly,.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: is my dog too skinny

This is my first Bullie but he looks fine to me.
    He's not showing ribs, and you are feeding him
    3 cups a day. What kind of food is he on,and what
    is the recommended daily serving?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

Is he very active? He actually looks very healthy. As cute as bulldogs are chubby it does put extra stress on their joints. Since there are no ribs or spine showing, visible muscle tone and a nice tucked tummy I'd say he looks very good.

I have a 2 year old female that I battle with keeping weight on often. She's on the same amount of food, 3 cups per day. But she's VERY active and burns off most of what she eats.

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member kiss1069's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Coda
    Likes (Received)

just making sure that theres no ribs showing is a good thing but also get them checkd by vet for any illneses but his pic looks great so i wouldnt worry much. I dont like keeping my girl fat unlike many ive seen in town, just way overweight dogs like thats how theire supposed to be but not good for joints or health in general. I also breed snakes and alot of people like to power feed them as well but i stick to keeping them healthy as being over weight shortens their lives.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

A lot of whether you are feeding too much or too little cant be judged by the quantity because foods vary so much. Usually the better foods require less quantity to give proper nutrition. What food are you feeding? Here on EBN there is a rating chart where you can look up your food to see how it is rated compared to other foods.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

@BruceP @bfletch13 It says: wellness simple lamb and rice

I don't know anything about that food. I think wellness it's rated high, right?
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

the Wellness Simple solutions that were tested were rated 4 on the 1 to 6 scale so thats pretty good. Your particular formula was not tested. Wellness has other formulas that are higher rated but none lower. I guess that would indicate a quality product is produced by them.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think he looks just right, he has a nice curve and defined waist, no ribs showing. He just may be small for a boy, if he is only 35lbs at 7 months. But you will know more when he is about 10 months he should weigh about 45 lbs.

I would not try to put access weight on him. Many bulldog owners assume their bulldog should be fat, and once they realize they have to take some of the weight off, it is very difficult to do so.

I would just keep him on the diet he is on, as a matter of fact, you may want to start cutting back his food here pretty soon.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlow and Boris
    Likes (Received)

Our first 2 bulldogs went through lanky stanges during their growth. He looks good to me. I wouldn't be concerned unless he goes for a month with no weight gain.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

He looks good and growing should slow down a little as they get older. Just continue to feed him and monitor. Not all bullies are huge chunky babies. If he stops gaining or starts losing, then worry. Please Please keep us updated. A lot of members here will have insight if he reverses.

Right now enjoy you little guy, I think he is adorable.

Always with me

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mystro
    Likes (Received)

thanks everybody for your opinions. .i was just a little concerned cause he has only gained 4 pounds this month, and thought he should be gaining more that that . his father is a very husky guy at 78 pounds . he is a very active little guy but also sleeps alot too..

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

@mommymystro Welcome to the board! My bully is 11 months and about 45 pounds, he also gets 1 1/2 C twice a day and is on a high rated food. He doesn't get alot of excercise maybe 20 minutes total a day and he is muscular. As long as you don't see ribs he should be fine but double check with your vet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads