Another Green Bean Diet question

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Well it seems that Curly has gotten bored of the green beans and while hungry he just chews the green beans and then spits them out and keeps begging for more food (I haven't given in). It was actually a bit funny when I noticed this was happening. I was feeding him and another one of my dogs together and my other dog (Sully) comes out of the kitchen covered in green beans. Apparently Curly was "spitting" the green beans at him. Sully happily ate the green beans that Curly spit out on the floor but apparently he did not know a bunch landed on him.

Anyhow, I was wondering, are there any other vegetables that I can use to switch things up? I know he likes broccoli, peas, carrots...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Broccoli is fine... I would steam it, but if he likes it raw go for it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can use cooked carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower. I use cooked veggies because my guys tend to inhale their food and not really chew their food. I used to give them raw baby carrots, but they would come out like raw baby carrot bullets. Lol

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
@blueberrysmom [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Thank you!! I'll get the ingredients and put it in the slow cooker tomorrow while I work :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Prepare for a new addiction! Vegas and Orion love their stew.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was also going to post Vegas Stew :up:

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi, I just wanted to hop on here instead of creating a new thread! A few months ago, the vet said Barkley needed to lose some weight and said we should cut his food in half and supplement with green beans. We did that and it has been about 4 months now...I try and weigh him myself at home and it seems like he's lost about 5+ pounds or so. His belly and waist definitely looks a lot more trim. So my question is, how do you know when it's time to take them off the green bean diet?? Is it ok to keep him on it for an extended period of time? He looooves the green beans and definitely doesn't seem like he is losing too much weight! It is helping keep the cost of his food down, plus he had bladder stones last year and it's supposedly best to feed a lower protein diet for that, so I would think by having half his food as veggies it would help with that as well.

I have to take him to the vet next month for his yearly shots/checkup so I will check with them then but wanted to see if I could get some feedback here as well! Thanks! :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, I just wanted to hop on here instead of creating a new thread! A few months ago, the vet said Barkley needed to lose some weight and said we should cut his food in half and supplement with green beans. We did that and it has been about 4 months now...I try and weigh him myself at home and it seems like he's lost about 5+ pounds or so. His belly and waist definitely looks a lot more trim. So my question is, how do you know when it's time to take them off the green bean diet?? Is it ok to keep him on it for an extended period of time? He looooves the green beans and definitely doesn't seem like he is losing too much weight! It is helping keep the cost of his food down, plus he had bladder stones last year and it's supposedly best to feed a lower protein diet for that, so I would think by having half his food as veggies it would help with that as well.

I have to take him to the vet next month for his yearly shots/checkup so I will check with them then but wanted to see if I could get some feedback here as well! Thanks! :)

As long as he does not lose too much weight, he can stay that way. can you post a pic of him while standing above him so we can see his waist... that helps to tell if he is looking right

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
As long as he does not lose too much weight, he can stay that way. can you post a pic of him while standing above him so we can see his waist... that helps to tell if he is looking right

Ok these are as good as I could get, he doesn't like to stay still for pictures haha! Thanks!

dfce82329c1928731ce9fe3180e357b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ok these are as good as I could get, he doesn't like to stay still for pictures haha! Thanks!

dfce82329c1928731ce9fe3180e357b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt him to lose 3 or so more pounds :yes:.

Once you start to see a defined waist, you can take him off.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

Thanks! He's always been a big boy, it's crazy that he's been on the diet for awhile now and hasn't lost that much weight but I'm sure he could lose a few more pounds! :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

Congrats on getting Barkley down the 5lbs :) Tate's been on the half green bean (or other veggie) for several months now and he's lost 2 lbs. I plan to continue with this indefinitely.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

agreed... he can loss a few more

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online