General Question Walter and the food jungle… AGAIN!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When I transitioned Walter to Fromm's we started w/Beef, then Pork & Peas and now he's on Duck & Sweet Potatoes. Everything is going great EXCEPT for the tear staining :bitching: I honestly think he has the opposite of Winston's issues… his eyes are just leaky. He has red dampness near his eyes and of course his folds, everywhere else he looks great.

My question is where should I go from here?!! Obviously this could be a potato issue… I'm just not sure what Fromm's I should try next :confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is he still teething? The leaky eyes could be a symptom of that. What are you using to clean the folds? If there is an existing infection in the folds the moisture will continue to feed it. Does he itch or rub his face?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tracey, this is exactly Tate's problem too--his eyes are "leakey". I attribute them to allergies but not sure if it's from environment or from the food. Over the years I've tried lots of different avenues. When i first put him on home cooking I noticed a considerable decrease in the tearing. But as time went on, the tearing came back. Right now both boys are on Merrick Sweet Potato and Buffalo and I've been adding about a tablespoon of ACV into their food twice a day for the last 5 days. I want to see if the ACV will help. I've been "lucky" with Tate b/c he hasn't ever been itchy, and will only occasionally lick his paws for a few seconds. The main thing w/him has been the eyes tearing up so i constantly have to wipe him with a tissue.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Is he still teething? The leaky eyes could be a symptom of that. What are you using to clean the folds? If there is an existing infection in the folds the moisture will continue to feed it. Does he itch or rub his face?

I'm really not sure if he's teething anymore… he still chews on stuff, but I haven't found anymore baby teeth!!! Lol I have used duoxo pads or witch hazel followed up w/gold bond powder. I have NEVER seem him itch or rub his face at all… it's like he doesn't seem to notice it!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, this is exactly Tate's problem too--his eyes are "leakey". I attribute them to allergies but not sure if it's from environment or from the food. Over the years I've tried lots of different avenues. When i first put him on home cooking I noticed a considerable decrease in the tearing. But as time went on, the tearing came back. Right now both boys are on Merrick Sweet Potato and Buffalo and I've been adding about a tablespoon of ACV into their food twice a day for the last 5 days. I want to see if the ACV will help. I've been "lucky" with Tate b/c he hasn't ever been itchy, and will only occasionally lick his paws for a few seconds. The main thing w/him has been the eyes tearing up so i constantly have to wipe him with a tissue.

Walter is exactly the same… leaky/weepy eyes!!! He's doing great on the Fromm's EXCEPT for the eyes… I guess I could go to something else. I have Roxie on Nature's Instinct Raw Patties, and I could switch Walter over too but BOY are they expensive!!! I will need a part-time job just to feed the dogs… and with Roxie's meds our pet bills are climbing. I'm just not sure what to do :( I could wipe Wally's eyes constantly too…

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
it may not even be from the food, [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]. So switching from here to there might be futile. Maybe our boys are just more sensitive to dust or smog.
Right now i will see how the acv works out, not really sure if it will.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], Brutus has weepy eyes also. It happens a few different times a year but especially right at the bigging to mid December. Vet told me it is environmental and when I notice it is bad, to look in the paper and see what allergens are high. I treat Brutus with two benedryl daily and it really helps.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas constantly has weepy eyes and goopy. I know it's not the food, it's environmental. I even bought a heap-filter and run it 24/7. No difference. Vegas does not have tear stains just runny eyes. I wipe them several or more times a day. He doesn't itch his face either. So I am convinced environmental.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]

Thanks for the tips guys… I guess that this is more of environmental issue. I started giving him benadryl this morning, so I will see how it goes. Right now its 61 degrees and raining, tomorrow its supposed to be 30 degrees :blink: I feel kinds icky as well… I just wish that the weather would make up it's mind and STAY there!!! Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks was the same way as is Cheli... I found that it was less of an issue with the Pork and Peas or Game Bird. lamb and lentil was the worst - eyes were like a leaky faucet

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.