Orijen puppy food

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Well i went to the specialty pet store today and got Georgia some kibble. I went in to get Fromms but the lady who owns the place, and is extremely highly regarded in the area, convinced me to get Orijen puppy kibble.

I have never heard of the stuff and quite frankly it is insanely expensive. $49.99 for a 15lb bag. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or anything? If it truely is the best then ok but if its garbage compared to Fromms then its going back. She offered an exchange if it doesnt sit well with Georgia.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Well Ive read a little about the company and read the back of the package to get an idea of what exactly goes into it. I feel kinda foolish because this appears to be a really good dry food. Its $12 more than fromms which still makes me wonder if its a bit much.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is actually a very good food, top of the line, I just don't see many people talk about it. Let us know how it goes!

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like it's a 6 star food as is Fromm so I would guess that it is pretty good. Many of the members here like Fromm because their foods are interchangeable. So, if you discover that your dog is allergic to chicken then you can try the Fromm lamb, game bird etc. without the slow transition. But the most important thing is that the food you chose works for you and your puppy so give the Orijen a try; she might do really well on it. Let us know how it works for you!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Orijen is a high quality kibble. Castor ate Orijen (fish) for some months during his first year. He loved it but we changed to another food as it didn't seem to agree with his tummy after a while. However, it was probably nothing wrong with the food, and I would be willing to try it again.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I feed Winnie Orijen puppy and Jack (not a bulldog) Orijen adult food. They have been on it for several months and seem to be doing great. The guy at the store where I bought it told me that the Orijen food is interchangeable, that is you can vary the adult formulas without having to slowly phase in a new kind. I have only fed Winnie the puppy food, but I'm fixing to change her to adult as she's 7 months old. I also sprinkle the probiotic Fortiflora on their food in the morning--don't know if that's necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt, and it firmed up their stools when they were a little soft.
Several people who feed Orijen to their dogs recommended it to me is why I changed from Iams in the first place. Anyway, Winnie seems to be doing great so far--no apparent allergies, no tear stains, stools are good, skin and coat look good, she loves it. Now if only it would make her behave it would be perfect!:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is actually a very good food, top of the line, I just don't see many people talk about it. Let us know how it goes!

^^^ agreed!

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Thanks everyone. Ive done quite a bit of research on the company and the food itself so Ill monitor her for the next few weeks and see how she does on it.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Well today Georgia has developed explosive diarrhea. Yesterday i gave her 3 frozen apple wedges to help teething. Should i keep on with the orijen and see if it goes back to normal? If so how long should I wait before it should be firm again or make a change? Ive cut out any extras for now so shell be strictly on orijen puppy for meals and potty rewards.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Try feeding much smaller portions for a couple days to settle her tummy and slowly increase it once it firms up. Poor girl isn't going to like that at all but hopefully it works, have you read the diarrhea article?

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I havent but ill see if I can find it now

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well today Georgia has developed explosive diarrhea. Yesterday i gave her 3 frozen apple wedges to help teething. Should i keep on with the orijen and see if it goes back to normal? If so how long should I wait before it should be firm again or make a change? Ive cut out any extras for now so shell be strictly on orijen puppy for meals and potty rewards.

Did you change her food gradually? If you just change their food all at once they will likely get diarrhea. It takes me about a week to switch brands of food, starting with 3/4 of the old food mixed with 1/4 of the new. After 2 or 3 days, feed 1/2 old and 1/2 new for a couple of days, then 1/4 old and 3/4 new for a couple of days, and then all new food. Stools may remain a little loose for a while--that's why I started giving the probiotic Fortiflora.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I did have to abruptly change it. The breeder only gave me enough for 2 days and he was feeding the puppies stuff i can only get online. I called the company and because of new years i wouldnt get it until tomorrow or monday. Her last outing about an hour ago after dinner was almost back to normal again so hopefully by tomorrow we'll be ok.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I think its definitely the food change now. Just went out again and shes got the diarrhea again. We go to the vet tomorrow for her health check so I'll see what they say. If she doesnt agree with the orijen after a couple weeks I'll start looking at slowly getting her on fromms. Fortunately she isnt having accidents and can control when she goes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.